The White Stripes Elephant 2013 reissue LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dconsmack, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nian82

nian82 Forum Resident

If I want a new copy I have to pay the shippment back myself, it will be more than 45 dollar. No way I will pay that! It is cheaper to order a new copy from amazon.com.
    This was the first and last time I ordered a vinyl (from us) using another company than amazon.com.

2. nian82

nian82 Forum Resident

Ok, so I got my second copy yesterday and the pitch problem is very noticeable also on this copy. Anybody else noticed this? Listen to the guitar on the last song.

3. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I finally got around to listening to the reissue while working this afternoon and 3 sides in I'm very happy with it. The next time a visitor says records don't have bass I'm throwing this on!

4. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

How can I tell which is which- the 10th Anniversary release or the colored vinyl release, when a customer brings in a sealed double album and wants to sell it? No stickers on it, barcode scans to both versions for some reason- any tell-tale marks on the sleeve I should look for?

5. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I picked up the anniversary release on beautiful black vinyl. It really is superb sounding and better than my original UK pressing. no off centre or distortion here. Just goes to show that United can do excellent pressings if they really try hard.

[​IMG]

Tropehjelm, sully12 and 24voltsdc like this.
  6. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I used to be able to quickly hear the difference between all analog and digital vinyl mastering - but no more. The technology has finally caught up.

I recently heard a 30ips master tape copy captured on a hi-rez file, and recorded from reel to digital by a top EMI engineer. It was beautiful - I could hear zero difference between that recording, and a high quality AAA vinyl made from the same tape.

mikemoon likes this.
  7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I agree, some of it is harder and harder to tell, unless you are just trying to listen for it or if you maybe played something really revealing and analog before. If you lose yourself in the music and sound, it doesn't matter as much. The interesting thing about the technology is that I've heard a lot artists kind of say the same thing and when Kevin Gray, Bellman and others cut from really well done digital transfers, it's hard to tell.

I buy all types of music from modern hip-hop releases to 50s audiophile jazz and try to never limit my purchases just by analog/digital, although I love well done AAA vinyl.

sully12 and wwright like this.
  8. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Anyone have the recent cut by Wes Garland? It was released in 2016 apparently...
    Discogs users haven't caught on to the fact that the 2016 repress/remaster is different than the 2013 Third Man reissue. Wes mentioned (on this forum or Analog Planet, can't remember at the moment) he had just done a cut (from the analog masters, of course)...

See these two discogs entries, first one is from 2013, and notice the deadwax etchings, indicating the pressing used original UK metal parts (UK matrixes were scratched through):
    The White Stripes - Elephant
    The White Stripes - Elephant

The second one has different deadwax etchings, clearly showing that it was cut by Wes Garland at NRP. You can also see in the comments section of the first entry, that some people began noticing the different deadwax etchings (by WG) on some of their copies, and those comments began in 2016, so that's how I figured the release date.

Unfortunately, it's hard or maybe impossible to tell it from the 2013 reissue... they both have the same TMR200 catalog number, and based on pictures I've seen, the jackets and even the labels are identical in every way.

Anyways I have the 2013 reissue that uses the UK metal parts. It's ok, but a little distorted on parts (other people have mentioned the same issues), so maybe the metal parts were a bit worn. I'm really curious to hear the new remastering.

9. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Can anyone confirm if the reissue from Third man records is AAA?

10. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Actually that's what I got in Amsterdam back in August 2017. I also have some sibilance on "You've Got Her In Your Pocket." other than that, great sounding peace of vinyl. Happy I got it signed by Jack himself in Moscow back in October :)

11. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

got mine from amazon. sibilance on said track. and crackling all over. for a 30 pound record, this had to go back to amazon. crap pressing. (united). sound (if you get past the crackling and the sibilance), was amazing though

12. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

You must have received a lemon. Mine sounds great and my friends sound great as well. Sorry to hear that.

Soundslave and porotikos like this.
  13. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

thank you. unfortunately i had no patience to ask for a replacement, so i got my money back. sibilance wouldnt just go away. if i am not mistaken, there is a repress of this coming to 2019, and i am hopping that it will be better, in a nicer price and so then i may give it another go...

14. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Same here. Yes, there's some vocal sibilance on the known track, but other than that I got a great pressing without any crackles whatsoever.
    porotikos, you might be lucky indeed with a new reissue or you could try to find a different pressing of the album.

porotikos likes this.
  15. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

thank you guys

Soundslave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.