Sunrise Records Canada - New Stores opening thread.

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jimod99, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The Fairview Mall location is closed.

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Their post Christmas sale was basically a waste of time, some vinyl "buy one get one free", a few CDs at $7.99 but zero discount on the main catalogue items.
    Box sets are priced ridiculously, is it any wonder people buy on-line?

Daryl M and noname74 like this.
  3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That’s disappointing. Last year was 20% off CDs and Vinyl. I called the store on the 24th to ask if they had sales and they said they weren’t allowed to tell me. Glad I didn’t drive the 45 min on Boxing Day.

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I was in a local Sunrise this weekend and asked the Manager who I've known for awhile and was around when it was HMV how this Christmas season was sales wise for them and he only muttered a 'meh'. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more closings of less profitable stores as they expanded so quickly I'm sure they have a few they regret buying.

eddiel likes this.
  5. eelkiller

As long as they keep the Arctic stores open I am content.

noname74 likes this.
  6. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Soon after it opened I visited Sunrise in the Pickering Town Centre. Not very impressive. It was just like HMV was at that location. Not much of anything interesting and prices that were on the high side. I should probably visit them again to see if they've improved.

When HMV closed at the Oshawa Centre I was at first dismayed when I realized that Sunrise would not be taking over. It seemed like a good location. The HMV there was not bad. That store was relatively large.

One day I went there to see what took over the lease. Figured it might be a shoe store or something. It's actually another music store called Now and Then. Sunrise could learn a thing or two from them! Lots of inventory, much of it stuff you wouldn't expect to see. Jazz, blues, classical, etc. Lots of vinyl. Even some imports and audiophile CDs.

Sunrise definitely expanded too quickly and probably with not enough thought as to the store experience.

7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

Now and Then are linked to the owners of Sam’s in Belleville, I think they also have a store in Kingston. I understand they aren’t allowed to use the Sam’s name for any new stores.

Dream On likes this.
  8. The Kelowna store had 20% off of everything in the last few weeks before January 1. Probably not a good sign. I've given up on buying box sets there. They are selling the John Lennon Imagine box for $130!! Even at 20% off the box sets were still overpriced. And the Hendrix Electric Ladyland box still hasn't shown up.

9. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

Their boxset prices have always been way too high, often getting close to double the price than you can get online. The one near me seemed to be busy during the Christmas season, but it's a while since I have shopped there. The last time I did, I got some pretty good 40% off deals in the clearance bin but that was probably around the end of the summer. The independents are starting to get pretty expensive in Cambridge, so there usually isn't too much of a difference on full price individual records now. I think that the chain will survive, and possibly thrive eventually, but it's natural that there will be some closures as they figure out where they really need to be and what does or doesn't work.

kevywevy likes this.
  10. noname74

Definitely not a good sign. I was in a few of them across Ontario in that time frame and didn't see anything like that so perhaps it's only the stores in trouble/low performing that did it.

kevywevy likes this.
  11. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The two Sunrise locations here in London are odd, to say the least. Neither has a King Crimson
    CD section, for instance. And I've never seen a copy of Portugal The Man's `Woodstock' in
    either shop. But today I was able to buy two `FM broadcast' CDs from Neil Young, which I
    did gladly.

12. I noticed a couple of Springsteen FM Broadcasts in the Kelowna store. I also noticed one of the new release racks is now completely empty. . .

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Could be down to the recent RPM Distribution closure, but IIRC, Sunrise buys direct from labels and no new product might mean bills are not being paid.

nosliw and kevywevy like this.
  14. noname74

To be fair there isn't much released in January.

kevywevy likes this.
  15. Two weeks ago I noticed a large stack of unopened boxes in the middle of the Kelowna Sunrise store. Today they are closed with a "closed for renovations" sign and a lone employee inside. The employee was emptying the racks and filling boxes. Sadly, I think the end is here.

16. Update - they are still "closed for renovations" but almost all the racks are now empty. They have added a hand-written sign apologizing for the inconvenience so I guess they are coming back in some form.

17. filper

filper Forum Resident

Sunrise in Owen Sound has quite a large vinyl and box set section. Cd section is also quite big.

18. noname74

Sunrise has finally replaced their old Loyalty program: The Club – Club Sunrise

Basically every $20 gets a stamp (so if your purchase is $40 you get two stamps etc) and once you get 15 stamps a $5 off reward is given. There will be double stamp days etc

I like that it’s all on the phone app so you don’t need to remember to bring a physical card when you go there.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    7upguy likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

A minimum of $300 spent gets you $5 off? Not very enticing.

bekayne and noname74 like this.
  20. noname74

Agreed..it’s a “better than nothing” thing at best.

Brenald79 likes this.
  21. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Some nice releases this coming Friday - Tedeschi Trucks, Bowie, Elvis. I'll be out to Sunrise
    first before I resort to Amazon. We'll see.

22. eelkiller

Do they have a "platinum" club? :)

noname74 likes this.
  23. noname74

Only if you own this (and I'm not ashamed to say I do!!):

[​IMG]

24. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I was in Fairview Park Mall in Kitchener the other day and noticed the storefront were Sunrise was is blocked and that another store will be taking its place. Since then I checked out the Sunrise Records site which says that the store will be reopening in May. This seems strange to me - I did not see any indication where the new location might be. Given that there are some vacancies in the mall a temporary location should have been an option.

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Club – Club Sunrise

Staring January 2019 they have the loyalty card program across Canada. Several years ago the Ontario only chain had a similar program.