LOTR director Peter Jackson restores WWI footage for new documentary, "They Shall Not Grow Old."*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matt W., Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Avatar" was one that really pulled people into theaters - people wanted to experience the 3D...

longdist01 likes this.
  2. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I was stunned by this film. It's an extraordinary piece of work.

As for the color, I applaud the work that was done. For the first time, I felt as if these men weren't distant relics from the past. Rather, they were living, breathing people, and the addition of sound and the colorization were vital to that result. And seeing, in the post-film feature, the attention to detail placed on getting every color as authentic as possible gives one confidence that the picture we're seeing is as accurate as humanly possible to the real thing.

Bravo, Mr. Jackson & company. This will make a profound difference in how future generations connect with that moment in history.

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Overheard an assistant to a history museum discussing the role "TWNGO" in revisiting old footage for future exhibits [obviously costs to restore!) to increase awareness of the Past for future generations.

4. BroJB

One of the lovely byproducts of this is that Jackson went ahead and restored (but didn't color or add sound to) the entire archives of the War Museum. Some 100 hours of previously scratchy, herky-jerky film is now available for educators, film makers and others to access and use in a beautifully restored format.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Picked up the dvd and marvelous stuff indeed.
    Still think The Monocled Mutineer would have made a great BBC companion piece.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

It's amazing what added sound can add (as well as image restoration and speed correction)... check out this footage from NYC and area just a few years before the war broke out in Europe...

7. alexpop

No facial close ups, or talkin, lip readers can decipher. But incredible non the less.

beccabear67 and longdist01 like this.
  8. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I saw this last week. Thought it was great.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Was the physical release last week?

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

The 1986 tv series ( Percy Toplis. based on a true story) aka “The Monocled Mutineer “ is still available as a dvd I would imagine( been out a few years). Trailer is on YouTube.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Available already in U.K. as a DVD[PAL format]
    or Blu-Ray [Region-Free] both included a Q&A w/ Peter @BFI​
    [​IMG]
    Curious if there will be an optional Steelbook offered US market?​

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

14. BroJB

15. To be fair though, WWI was a relatively short war for the US - just over a year and a half.

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Plus they were only in battle for about a year

17. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Yes, once Wilson (who's campaigned for re-election in 1916 with the slogan "He kept us out of war") saw that the German side, he had America jump in in order to get himself a seat at the armistice table in order to push his League Of Nations pet project.

18. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

UCLA had a free (!) screening last night in the restored Hollywood American Legion building. They ran the full Fathom cut/presentation.
    Am still digesting it. Was/is this eligible for Oscar nomination?
    According to IMDb, Peter Jackson worked pro bono.
    No USA home version (Warner Brothers) distro yet, as far as I can tell.

19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Nice to see it is still Screening somewhere, the story unfolds on a big screen.

Sharing the Blu-Ray i picked up (region free) around with those who missed the Fathom presentations in cinema.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  20. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Yet in that year they suffered 53,000 combat deaths, and over 200,000 combat wounds. Not to mention 3,300 MIA's. Not to mention the death by sickness, accident, etc.
    Of course the European armies suffered many more, but you can't downplay our part in the victory (just saying, I know you're not doing that). It was a rough year for our doughboys. My grandpa's shipped docked in France on Armistice day, or right after. Anyway he was sent to the front and the shooting war was over.

I watched TSNGO yesterday. Hard to know what to say about it, but it was touching.

SandAndGlass, EVOLVIST and longdist01 like this.
  21. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I agree. Last week I drove through a very small town in Oregon, and it was playing on their one screen small theater.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A look at J.R.R Tolkien's WWI service and which also influenced his literary and creative work soon into a Fellowship of T.C.B.S into Oxford.

SandAndGlass and Kristofa like this.
  23. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

There is a book called Tolkien and the Great War by John Garth that is really good as well. I can’t wait to see the new film about him and that period!

longdist01 likes this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This is great! But, IMO, the sync would be more authentic if the audio was in mono.

25. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

My grandfather served as well. Woodrow Wilson's re-election campaign slogan in 1916 had been "He kept us out of war". But by early 1917 it was clear that Germany was going to lose, so Wilson went to Congress to ask for a declaration of war, so that he could influence the armistice treaty. Talk about being born on third base and claiming you hit a triple.

Of course if Wilson had just let the war run its course without intervening (which was the attitude of the majority of Americans), the US wouldn't have been one of the entities blamed for the betrayals of Arabs and the artificial countries created in the ME, and might have avoided a whole lot of turmoil and terror.

LouChang and Karnak like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.