Slade & Glam Rock...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by siebrand, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Even regarding their "image", Slade weren't "Glam Rock" but "Glitter Rock" due to their costumes that - unlike "artsy" clothes of the glam rockers like e.g. Rod Stewart's on the pics bellow that evoke the Golden Age of Hollywood - were "ridiculous" (with an intention, of course) and hence look more like a parody on "Glam" - or at least like a poor version of "Glam" - than really "Glam".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Voila!, now please compare his clothes and his "image" created by the art colleges' dropouts for the fans from the then middle class, with this "poor" Glitter-Rock band called Slade, a band for the kids from the then working class.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    blutiga likes this.
  2. siebrand

siebrand music lover Thread Starter

Thank you for putting on here that Youtube.
    Loved it a lot, watched all the show.
    I'm still right: it was really a great band. I mean: A GREAT BAND !

Randoms likes this.
  3. siebrand

Needless to try to pull Rod Stewart with Slade. Slade has always remained Slade, not at all a small group for poor deficients, far from it.
    Simply ... they wanted to entertain people with a direct Rock / Blues ... Strange, We do you like it even today? no I do not think so. It's not strange, alltough I'm 60 (over 60..... :) )
    About Rod Stewrat ... a while ago I got his beautiful "Every Picture tells a story in MQA / UQHCD" ... http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-40180?s_ssid=e419655c6a606ccd0c
    it's worth it.
    Sure...
    But it has nothing to do with the Slade, come on ... let's not joke ...

Rufus rag likes this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I also attended a Slade gig at the time and it really was a mezmerising rock n roll experience. Unfortunately I think the original members are not on speaking terms anymore

5. The 1-2-3 punch of Play It Loud, Slade Alive and Slayed are where it’s at for me. Their B sides collection it hot too.

I grew up a huge KISS fan and I find some similarities in the arena/anthemic approach of the songwriting. Great band!

Rufus rag likes this.
  6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

No problem but I'm afraid that you didn't realized that my previous post is just an illustration that Slade could not have been tagged as "Glam" back in the day, not even regarding "fashion" - let alone the music. In the Seventies, Slade was tagged only as "Glitter Rock", which was considered as a genre for the then working-class, while artsy Glam Rock was oriented to the then middle class kids as the targetted audience as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Not really but The Sweet were kings and you never mentioned Wizzard.

Yes - they were English.

8. 1972matt

1972matt Forum Resident

They were pretty influential on Glam METAL though...

Rufus rag likes this.
  9. Hollow Horse

Nonsense. There is absolutely no need for all this compartmentalising. Slade were as glam as you could get.

Man at C&A and Rufus rag like this.
  10. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

As somebody already said in a previous page of this thread, Slade were hinting NWOBHM, and I agreed with that. However, I would say that in their heydays 1972 - 1975, Slade were hinting Punk aesthetic also; I mean, their music was 100% antithesis of the then middle-class youth's genres like Prog Rock, Art Rock and Glam Rock. Unlike mentioned genres, Slade's music was created for British working-class guy whose life philosophy was quite simple in the first half of the 1970s. What did a young guy from the working class back then expected for his money when went out in the evening than something to drink in a pub and to find a girl for little fun? So when he went to the concert to finish the evening, he didn't want to be quiet, to sit on his own hands and not to rised his voice until the concert ends. At Slade's concerts - in the midst of the wave of "serious" progressive music - all faces in the audience were happy, the band allowed the audience to be noisy and crowd was singing along with the band and clapping hands were up during the whole gig. In some way, with their fantastic songs, Slade were a hard-rock version of The Beatles, but without any ambition to record something "serious" like Sgt. Pepper.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    TheLoveDrags and blutiga like this.
  11. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

[​IMG]

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

The usual "Well, I don't consider them glam." FIFTY YEARS after the fact, we got folks coming on this thread and re-writing history.

Man at C&A, Randoms and bob60 like this.
  13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Wrong wrong wrong. Slade were a glam rock band. End off.

14. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Absolutely. This is also describes the early years of ACDC in Australian pubs as well.

Svetonio and Lightworker like this.
  15. siebrand

Friends..
    All of you...
    Thanks for participation in this thread.
    Writing this thread I would talk about this great band, I loved it, I love them nowadays too.
    But at the end... was it Glitter? Was it Glam?
    Who cares.
    For me... it simply was one of the greatest bands ever.
    That's all, folks...:goodie:

16. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Exactly!

Here they are from 1973:

oboogie and bob60 like this.
  17. siebrand

Pink floyd
    Beatles
    Roling Stones
    David Bowie...
    All... English....

18. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

My Dad is a huge Slade fan and I grew up listening to their music (along with ABBA, Blondie, Genesis, Kate Bush, Fleetwood Mac, Status Quo, Pink Floyd, Led Zeplin and Dire Straits). He's got everything they ever released, plus solo work, Slade 2 and some very rare remixes and covers. I can't say I'm a huge fan, though I do like some of their post-1980 tracks. "Still The Same" and "7 Year Bitch" are great tracks!

I also heavilly associate them with early 70's Glam Rock, but frankly a lot of bands and artists around that time were doing similar things in terms of sound and fashion. For example, ABBA (a band more associated with disco and pop) were doing some very glam rock things in the early 70's (check out 'Ring Ring' and 'Watch Out'). I also think the association with that glam rock era and sound contributed to their late 70's decline in popularity, which is a great shame. As much as I'm not a fan really, they've had a very interesting career.

On a side note, I absolutely cannot stands 'Merry Xmas Everyone'. HATE it. Sorry.

19. Hollow Horse

Are you alright?

20. siebrand

I'm not sure.
    I hope so... o_O

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

Yes, sir!

I wish I could like this post a million times!

22. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

From this time period, I love the original Alice Cooper group, NY Dolls, Iggy and the Stooges [if you consider "Raw Power" a part of this]
    T. Rex, Slade, Sweet, Bowie, Roxy Music, Mott the Hoople, Roy Wood...

I like Mud, Quatro...

I'm sure I am missing some...

All I know is, like I said, I was born in 75, so I discovered this music much later...
    But I ENJOY it! It is for the most part, well written pop music that puts a smile on my face, pleases my ears and makes we want to jump up and sing and clap along!

It makes me happy and that's all I care about!

Man at C&A, siebrand and Randoms like this.
  23. siebrand

That's because it ain't music to dig it out.
    Only pleasure and fun.
    I told before... now I like much other kinds of Musical ART too... (For example... take a look of the 《Henry Mancini 》 thread...
    Now I live with Jazz, Blues, Classical... sometimes I really can lost my head in exploring other stiles.
    But... now and than.. an hour or 2 of slade, mott, trex.... :righton:

Randoms likes this.
  24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

My top 4 are...
    T-Rex
    Slade
    Sweet
    Suzi Quatro

Darryl

TheLoveDrags, Randoms and siebrand like this.
  25. jpg-ringo

jpg-ringo Active Member

I'd never heard the term "glitter rock" till i read this forum, I'm from the UK and it was only ever called "glam rock" to my knowledge.
    as for which bands are glam/glitter or other genres I wouldn't bother arguing, because there's no definitive genre you can pigeonhole bands into, because different people would have different viewpoints and use different labels

TheLoveDrags and Randoms like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.