Let's talk about Joe Walsh's music career and albums....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 21, 2017.

1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there are 3 sides to every story: yours.....mine.......the truth

GoodKitty, Fullbug and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Last night, one of my dreams was that Joe Walsh had passed away... THAT was horrible.. but I knew it had to be untrue because it said his age was 50.....

fr in sc, slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. CybrKhatru

I think Henley said that too ;)

Fullbug and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. CybrKhatru

If I remember correctly, Walsh plays on "Once Upon A Time" from Nether Lands as well. Love that track.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

and the band extreme

GoodKitty and CybrKhatru like this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I had hundreds of albums back in those days that ran really short like this one, 35 mins or less....they definitely could have released more I would think though!

Slim Zooms and pool_of_tears like this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Not quite as bad as the MCA plaid back songtitle error on Steppenwolf's Monster album.

Turning "Draft Resister" to "Draft Register"!!!! LOL.

Great idea for a thread though. Have people name song title misprints on various CDs. Not the simple misspellings but the ones that give entirely different meanings....

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

True, but those were usually because the artist was short on material.

Sweet Baby James is only 30 minutes I think. haha

9. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Paul Simon Songbook album lasts 28 mins :D

GoodKitty and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Right thanks to you guys, I have ordered a CD of 'There Goes the Neighborhood'.

Looking forward to it. A mate of mine had it on vinyl years ago & swears by it too.
    Looming forward to the voyage :wiggle: :edthumbs:

yesstiles, slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Congrats, I suspect you will like that album, or at least some of the songs.

It's been a while now since I listened to it but off top of my head my fave songs from it are Rivers (Of the Hidden Funk), Bones, and You Never Know. A Life of Illusion isn't bad and IIRC I even liked the Down on the Farm joke song with the animal noises. The rest I am drawing a blank on but I don't think this album had anything I hated on it.

footlooseman and Slim Zooms like this.
  12. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I was jus listening to The smoker you drink the other day. I have had that record since I was a kid and still love it.
    Joe should have never quit James Gang though imo.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

walsh does a song on the paul allen (yes, THAT paul allen) and the underthinkers album called 'six strings from hell' and it is excellent.

if you haven't heard it it is on spotify.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  14. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Well gang I've received my CD of
    'There Goes The Neighborhood' I'll let you know my comments when I've given it a couple of spins, but first thing I notice is that it's a really short album. o_O

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Efus

Efus Senior Member

While I agree with you, that probably would have never worked.
    First they would have had to add a keyboard player.
    Might have been a tough sell/hassle to Fox-Peters telling them they needed to lay back more for the song vs how they had been playing.
    Then of course the expectations of fans.

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Great album, but it's the same length as all his albums before that. They were all only 35 minutes long.

slipkid likes this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, par for the course back in those days. The majority of the albums I had b4 the full CD "revolution" - in I dunno the '90's (?) - were probably 35 minutes or less. Double-albums, say about 50-60 minutes, were the exception, not the rule. Today we are more used to albums being like 60-70 minutes long though.

18. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Re-Joe Walsh- ‘There goes the Neighborhood’

Hi folks, been giving this album some serious play over the last 2 days and here’s my thoughts:

As everyone said previously in terms of playing time this is a short album due to the constraints of the 70s/80s vinyl era. (I say that because many would argue we are in the vinyl era now). My copy is on the Elektra label and has no sleeve info other than track names so no credits but since it cost a fraction of some of the crazy prices I’ve seen it offered for it’s no bother.

To my ears the overall sound of the album is not dissimilar to ‘But Seriously Folks…’, but I am more familiar with that album and, after 6 or 7 listens, the ‘Neighborhood’ album is not as good IMO.

Album opens with a couple of ear-warmers, ‘Things’ starts with some nice chords and vocal ‘aah’ sounds but has a predictable tune and some of the lyrics are also a bit clichéd. The song doesn’t leap out at me and at around the five and a half minute mark is one of the longest tracks on the album.

Second track the piano-led ‘Made your Mind Up’ has another fairly predictable tune, nice backing vocals but then Joe’s slide guitar puts in an appearance which is a nice touch. This track sounds and feels like it could have been a song from an earlier Walsh-era album, maybe ‘So What’.

Next up is the fun and more energetic ‘Down On The Farm’ which smuggles in the guitar riff from Funk #49 (I think), but features nice hoedown fiddle from David Lindley. A shorter track than the first 2 and is over as soon as it gets going. Pity.

With track 4 ‘Rivers (Of the Hidden Funk)’, there is a substantial leap in the quality of song, arrangement, and it sounds like a classic immediately and is well worth the price of admission alone. This track was written with Don Felder for the ‘Long Run’ album but wasn’t selected. I wonder why…it knocks the spots off two or three tracks from that album, but then I digress. I recognised the song immediately from the era. (Maybe it was a minor hit in the UK?). The track plays out with typical Walsh ‘Life’s Been Good’/ ‘Life In The Fast Lane’ guitar riffing and ends too soon for me.

‘A Life of Illusion’ apparently dates back to the James Gang-era and the acoustic rhythm guitar riff borrows from ‘Street-Fighting Man’ by The Stones. Track has some nice busy bass and a hint of slide again. Never too much slide for me when Joe’s playing. Nice mariachi horns too.

‘Bones’ is a bit of a departure from the rest of the album and is a bit more bluesy (more of this please Joe) with more nice slide and piano. Again fades out too soon, the slide was just getting cooking.

Track 7 is ‘Rockets’ and is a typical solid Walsh slow song and sounds like mid-70s Joe. Use of synth and piano dominate the song. Nice vocal from Joe. Reminds me of ‘Mother Says’. Also has a slight Beach Boys feel lyrically, and with the vocal harmonies.

Track 8 ‘You Never Know’ is interesting. Features nice instrumentation with congas and bass to the fore and a bit of electric 12 string and some nice riffing and use of echo on the guitar like on ‘Life’s Been Good’ plus some more slide (Yay!) Would have been interesting to hear what Glenn Frey would have sounded like doing lead vocals on this song as the song has an opening which is typical Glenn territory.

And there it was gone. I think it contains one classic and three or four other worthy additions to his canon and some filler unfortunately. It’s not my favourite album by Joe by any means but I will certainly return to it many times. I’ve a good mind to make up a compilation CD of ‘But Seriously’ and add about 3-4 tracks from this album I think they will make a nice combination.

My two cents, cheers, Slim

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

With the various praise were leaping on Walsh/Felder tracks makes me wonder why those guys didn't just get together in their own band or make their own album(s). They were a great dueling axe pair & wrote some great songs together too.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  20. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Yes, great combination!
    Is anyone aware of any sessions that Walsh & Felder did together for other artists?
    From reading Don Felder's book I would imagine that after all the Eagle-ing that the guys did back in the day they would be too burned out to do so.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Joe’s huge Eagles income is courtesy of Don Henley. Any work with Felder would put that income in jeopardy.

slipkid, Slim Zooms and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That is an interesting point but one that IMO reflects poorly on either Henley or Frey if true. I know they personally had problems with Felder but if they translated that to controlling what projects other Eagles members might do outside the band- like telling Joe "yer out if you work with Don on anything" that is, jeez, just sickening...

fr in sc and Slim Zooms like this.
  23. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

The Life in the Fast Lane riff is amazing.

Matthew Tate and Slim Zooms like this.
  24. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

All Joe!

Matthew Tate and Fullbug like this.
  25. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Yes it would show H&F in a really bad light if that was the case. I wouldn't put it past them.
    Didn't they also cold shoulder Randy Meisner?
    For a guy who was so important in the band, its such a shame he was outcast.
    The guy did not handle being out of the band so well.

fr in sc and slipkid like this.