Megadeth on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Soundslave, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I can’t help but “critically listen” every time I put on an album! I guess that’s what it means to be an audiophile. I am more forgiving when listening in the car or at work on iPhone, but when playing albums on the home stereo I can’t help but hear any shortcomings.

bru87tr and Soundslave like this.
  2. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Oh, I totally get it, and find myself doing the same.

Dorian75 likes this.
  3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

@Soundslave Curious...what's it like shopping for vinyl in Russia?

4. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, anyone got their remastered TWNAH and TSHF? :) I didn't even get a shipping confirmation for my TWNAH yet...

5. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

TSHF is my favorite of the recent releases. I’m curious to hear what it sounds like. Please report back!

Soundslave likes this.
  6. joemisfit

joemisfit Active Member

I received my TSHF and TWNAH and with only one listen each so far, they sound excellent. Vocals and effects very prominent and clear but do not take away from the music. In my opinion there is a "liveness" to both of them I didn't feel before the million times I have listened in the past after buying each on the day of release. BTW, I just created an account today and I'm totally new to this site in general. I can't figure out how to change my profile picture yet, hehe. Anyhow, I collect Megadeth super heavy and have a lot of their vinyl and probably 200 CD releases from Megadeth in all. Went to a ton of shows over the years, met them most of the time throughout their lineups and even can say Megadeth is the reason my Wife and I are together. I happened to stumble across this thread trying to find out on Google why there is an additional TSHF MOV black pressing from 2016 on Discogs, as far as I knew there was only the 2013 with the purple and a black and then 2016 orange. No one responded yet to my inquiry there. If you ordered the WOF 4 LP from the Megadeth site you can get a remastered download of Hangar 18 and it sounds soooooo good. I found it by mistake, they never said anything about it but if you go into your account it's there.

7. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Mine will be here tomorrow.

Soundslave likes this.
  8. Soundslave

Cool. Mine TWNAH has reached Russia 2 days ago :) Hopefully I'll receive the package on the next week.

9. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Thanks for the mini-review! I was on the fence but may bite on these. How is the pressing quality?

10. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Welcome to the boards! I have the original TWNAH and the 2013 TSHF. Both are decent pressings. I was not real pleased with the compression on the remasters (I grabbed the iTunes files), so didn't bother with duplicates on vinyl. I do like both albums a lot, though neither aged as well as I thought they would...probably due to over-listening to them when they were released.

The marketing on WoF says 35 Remastered tracks, however, the iTunes link indicates they are all the old masters from 2004 (or 2011/12 for Peace Sells and Countdown). Can anyone speak to the sound or origin of the tracks on this compilation? Are they really remastered or simply pulling from the latest/greatest Megadeth releases? I'm not saying anything since United Abominations NEEDS remastering...just curious. Also WoF (iTunes) does not note Dread and the Fugitive Mind or Blackmail the Universe as being Remastered...I wonder if those tracks are from the latest Remasters of those albums(?)

11. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

For the love of gravy Dave...give us a new vinyl version of Youthanasia!!

pinkrudy and bru87tr like this.
  12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

My fav album.

Soundslave and 808_state like this.
  13. Soundslave

So far I finally got my LP :)

Well, the vinyl itself is not the quietest one in my collection based on Disconnect, but the sound is pretty good. At least from the first listen I didn't hear any distortion where I usually heard it on original CD.

Dorian75 likes this.
  14. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

don't know Tom Jensen...sure it wasn't Ted Jensen?

15. Soundslave

I think it was either a typo on the original release or something else, but Tom Jensen is indeed listed as an engineer.

16. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Well I picked up a copy of TSHF BMG vinyl from Amazon. It has the potential to be a solid, modern mix, but the bass has been boosted so much that it distorts. There are great sounding passages but then when a bass-heavy section arrives, it blows the whole thing up. WAY over-goosed bass. Returning it as a result. Shame. They almost got it right...

bru87tr likes this.
  17. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I just picked it up too, will listen tonight.

Also grabbed Dystopia, only liked a few songs on first listen. Its actually a solid album and like it. I am surprised how good it sounds on vinyl, not that its good, but I thought it would sound awful. Warheads in Foreheads is a mess.

TSHF is a great album, so can't wait for a listen.

18. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Did you get a chance to listen yet?

19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

yea, the original blue vinyl is tons better than the picture disc. I have both.

bru87tr, 808_state and Soundslave like this.
  20. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

That was my guess, thanks for the confirmation. It's such a good album, it deserves royal treatment!

To be honest though I'm afraid they will butcher a reissue.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    pinkrudy and bru87tr like this.
  21. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I did and Dystopia sounds better in comparison and thats not saying much.

Dull, no dynamics, loud and distorted sounding. Although I didnt find it overly bass heavy as someone mentioned.

So, I guess unless I want to spend hundreds of dollars on original pressings, I will never own good sounding Megadeth on vinyl.

22. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

If you can still source it, return the US pressing of Dystopia and get the Euro pressing. I'm not joking it sounds noticeably better. The US pressing is a textbook example of how poor workmanship can ruin the sound of an album.

bru87tr likes this.
  23. Soundslave

I have the EU Dystopia and I can't imagine how bad the US one might be since I can't name EU the best sounding LP. I bet they (management, producer or someone else) really failed on mastering this one. I really hope they will bring a more dynamic sound on the next record because after great issues of Th1rt3en and Super Collider (both in HD and LPs) it feels like a slap in the face mastering-wise.

808_state likes this.
  24. Soundslave

You're talking about all albums? I think original Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, United Abominations, Endgame, Th1rt3en and Super Collider are great sounding vinyl offers from the band.
    Plus let's not forget about Music on Vinyl version of The System Has Failed which doesn't have additional compression like the recent remaster by Ted Jensen.

Dorian75 likes this.
  25. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Original UK RIP is excellent.

So the MOV TSHF sounds good @Soundslave?