Robin Trower - The Studio Albums 1973-1983

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by puffyrock2, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Well, that sucks...

2. The Dane

The Dane Forum Resident

I just ordered it from Amazon UK, although I have them all on original vinyl, except Back It Up. I hope that the mastering is good.

3. calpon

calpon Forum Resident

I have all of the original issue CDs, but I am glad they are putting these out...just so much good music on these for people new to Trower to enjoy. I hope the sonics are up to snuff.

4. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

Well, not the greatest news....the great big online bookstore now says...

"Usually ships within 1 to 2 months."

5. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Ugh...

6. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Post of the year.

peopleareleaving and BillyMacQ like this.
  7. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Booooooooo.:wtf:

Seriously? Day Of The Eagle is easy listening? You need to crank that isht up, brooooo.

GrayMouser, boboquisp and BGLeduc like this.
  8. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

I just got a notice that mine, ordered in December, will ship between Feb. 28 and March 15 -- with Prime shipping! Does anyone know if it actually was released? It is backordered at importCDs too.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  9. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Got my notice today as well:

Your new estimated delivery date is:Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - Saturday, March 16, 2019

10. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I ordered mine from Amazon UK. Sometimes that is the best option.

11. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

I would have to agree you need to crank this one up but at the same time it has this timeless stoned laid back vibe about it. You can crank it up and it will relax you at the same time (at least several of the songs). Makes me want to eat some mushrooms. Portabella of course. My Uncles who grew up down in the Missouri Bootheel say they used to walk along the levee which was fenced in with cattle and found them growing in the cow crap. I have never had any.

12. elsanto

elsanto Forum Resident

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  13. JackS

JackS Then Play On

James Dewar is outstanding on all of the ones that he is on.
    I have almost all of these in vinyl and plan on buying this, as well.
    Imo, James Dewar was one of BEST singers ever.

pscreed, Todd W. and Craig like this.
  14. The Dane

The Dane Forum Resident

I still wonder if it is all new remasters. Or it could be the remasters from 2010 by Andrew Thompson. I don`t know much about him. Anyone?

15. fast'n'bulbous

My delivery estimate just got updated to Feb. 20. Getting better!

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  16. The Dane

The Dane Forum Resident

Mine just arrived from Amazon UK. Plain cardboard covers, nothing special. No booklets or information.

Probably not new remasters. Bridge Of Sighs is from 2007, and probably a remaster by Peter Mew. As expected the MFSL sounds better. The others are from 2010 and 2012. I`ll return when I have done some more comparisons.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  17. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I just received my set today. I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but while I appreciate the fact that the cardboard sleeves are reproductions of the original LP's, the quality of the reproductions could have been a bit better.
    But at less than $3 per disc, who can complain?

18. fast'n'bulbous

Mine arrived today. The sleeve quality is OK, especially for the money. Not Japanese quality of course but comparable to the Little Feat and Faces box sets. Resolution is high enough that even the smallest writing is legible, though you may need a magnifying glass. IMHO that's all you can ask for at this price.

It looks like they used the same masterings as the two Chrysalis Years box sets. The 2010 masters from the first box have pretty good DR numbers, DR11-DR12. That covers the first four albums (it's really a pity they omitted the live album). The 2012 DR numbers for the other six aren't good, DR7-DR9.

Nonetheless I'm still glad I bought this. My LPs are in storage now and it's nice to have these again. I was never going to pay $10-$15 apiece for them.

ispace, Hep Alien and Chazzbo13 like this.
  19. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Mine arrived yesterday...still in wrapper...been busy shoveling snow :cry:

20. Eddy Flycatcher

Eddy Flycatcher Forum Resident

Why did they put the single version of "Long Misty Days" on the CD with the s/t? on the original album the song lasts 5'41...on this set it only lasts 4'45...

21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Wasn't going to order but ten albums for 25 quid and change, it'll be here tomorrow..

22. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

That sounds like a screw up and it's unfortunate since that's one of the best songs in Trower's catalog.

23. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

The Chrysalis three-fer box set 'A Tale Untold' has the 5' 41" album version, AND the 4' 45" single version as a bonus track :)

black sheriff, Hep Alien and Galley like this.
  24. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Try Seven Moons with Jack Bruce. Fantastic. As good as it gets. Stands up to the best of Cream.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have all the BGO 2-fer discs

Twice Removed/Bridge of Sighs
    Live/For Earth Below
    Long Misty Days/In City Dreams
    Caravan to Midnight/Victims of the Fury
    BLT/Truce
    Back It Up (single album CD)

I also have the Iconoclassic issue of Twice Removed and the MFSL CD of Bridge of Sighs

Considering what I own already...does this set bring anything to the table to make it worth buying? Has anyone compared sound to the BGO discs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.