Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Well... the Kafka part I read about in an article way back when and it just stuck.

2. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Rewatching season 3. Man, is this thing ever topical or what!?!

3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Waiting patiently for Season 3 to show up on netflix

4. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

why did they make David Thewlis so gross?

keeps me from watching season 3 again...

5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think he’s terrific.

6. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Just starting to re-watch the third season. The episode in L.A. with the seventies flashbacks really adds nothing to the overall story. It felt like filler to me ,especially the animated robot story. Probably the weakest Fargo episode in all three seasons.

slipkid and Jazzmonkie like this.
  7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

While it had it's moments, overall I really didn't like season 3. I'd never watch it again.

rburly likes this.
  8. chacha

Having loved season 2 & 3, I just rented season 1 which I hadn’t seen. I couldn’t even make it through episode 2. The show seemed to have none of the charm and artistic flair of the other seasons (especially season 2 where every shot was composed beautifully). Does it get any better?

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think so. Give it time. ..it grabbed me from the start but really took hold in the center.

10. chacha

Alrighty

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I agree, but I will watch it again someday, wondering if I will like it any more 2nd time through.

12. chacha

I liked it more the second time.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great in Mr. Nice.

14. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I stopped watching season 3 after several episodes. I’ll try it again sometime, but I couldn’t make sense of most of it.

15. alexpop

Season two is the best.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I figured they were trying to make him look like a wolf (and succeeded). Didn't they even play the wolf theme/instrument from Peter & the Wolf when he was on screen (been ages since I watched the show so I could be misremembering).

chacha likes this.
  17. alexpop

Only have season 1 on Blu Ray 2-3 on DVD ..have to rectify that.

18. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

season 2 is my favorite followed by season 1 and season 3 is a distant 3rd

if anyone cares...

;)

rburly and slipkid like this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ditto 4 me.

20. chacha

Does season 1 ever become as artfully shot as the other two seasons?

21. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

It doesn't need to. It has Billy Bob Thornton.

Black Magic Woman and Craig like this.
  22. I binged the season on HULU over the last few days. Some thoughts:
    Nikki had to die as payback for her role in escalating the feud between Emmitt and Ray -also her meeting alone to try and extort the money (without telling Ray) is pretty convincing evidence that her feelings for Ray were not as deep as she claimed (but she DID have a conscience and guilt about this it seems). There was no real redemption for her as she still failed to take any of the blame at the very end -she was doomed. Not sure why Wrench waited 5 years to kill Emmitt, perhaps because he did a partial redemptive act by confessing to Ray's murder. Still he took the profits from the scheme and presumably he had to pay the piper in the end (1 year probation just didn't cut it). Emmitt's fate mirrored the grandfather who was also partially bad and got to live a portion of his life in relative peace before his violent end.

Notice the escalating scale of the financial stakes in each Fargo installment:
    Fargo the Movie: 1 million$
    Fargo Season 1: the invested profits of that million$
    Fargo Season 2: local rackets in the Fargo / Minneapolis area (10s of millions?)
    Fargo Season 3: International business / criminal conspiracy worth 100s of millions

The "I can help" android reminds me of the story of the wandering Jew in that he is forced to walk the planet for almost eternity after his master dies. What sin did he commit to deserve this fate? I'm not sure, perhaps that he always offered to help but never appeared to take any affirmative act (unlike our season's heroic police captain).

I really enjoyed this season and think it matches the previous 2 in quality.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  23. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I wasn't sure frankly how any would match the first season and I was a bit 'meh', but having re watched 2 and 3, they are truly wonderful in their own right, (and don't diminish on repeat viewings for me either), such strong characters and acting.

24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Is this show returning at some point? I enjoy it quite a bit.

25. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

Yes. Shoots this year, so I'm guessing airs in 2020? Chris Rock stars and it will show a connection to 1950's KC mob.