Dylan- Blood on the Tracks - "Test Pressing" version - RSD 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Whiskeytown86, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Whiskeytown86

Whiskeytown86 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

So I was on the Twitter just now and saw this and almost fell off the bed. Has anyone heard of this actually being a thing?!

2. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

It's on the French RSD list. I'm guessing it's the original alternate BOTT, which will be nice to own.

3. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

It's been discussed and even pictured in the RSD 2019 thread.

Rockinrob likes this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

I can't make up my mind on this. Someone hooked me up recently with the tracks but this seems like a really neat release. I didn't get the recent 2 LP set only because I felt like I could compile and enjoy my own cdrs from the same material. Now, with this release, I guess its just as or more tempting. I guess this could be like BOTT III? - TP/RSD, Official Album, 2LP BS release...Maybe I'll just try to buy all 3 if possible lol at one of the stores the day of RSD.

5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah, that will make me go to RSD. So far, nothing looks all that hot except this.

7. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I would preorder the MFSL One-Step of Blood on the Tracks and ignore all other reissues beforehand. RSD releases are most often plentiful on the secondary market years after the rush of urgency. Both the audio and collectabilty of the One-Step will surpass a RSD reissue. :hide:

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This'll be sold like hot cakes! I wanna have one copy, too, so need to be fast.

9. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Yep, I already preordered my one step. This RSD release is tempting, might go for it

10. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Is it just for curiosity/completist reasons that one would buy this test pressing, or do a lot of fans consider the NY versions of those songs to be superior to the Minnesota remakes?

Having heard More Blood More Tracks, I'm of the mind that the Minnesota sessions really saved the album, taking it from a 7/10 to a 1o/10 experience. I like those last-minute cuts so much more than the NYC versions, it's not even close.

11. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Without wanting to derail this thread, where is the One Step available for pre order? I can’t find it on mofi or music direct websites. Thanks

bward likes this.
  12. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Just call Music Direct and they will take your preorder over the phone.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  13. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Hmmm....I think this is coming out due to a bit of backlash about not including this in the box set.

Hopefully they’ll do this on cd at some point as well.

14. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Backlash? I wonder if perhaps this was the plan all along?

Either way is perfect for RSD.

15. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

No. Wasn’t planned as far as I’m aware. This looks like it was decided more recently.

joannenugent likes this.
  16. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

What's the day it will be available?

arcamsono likes this.
  17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

13/04/19

vinylvin likes this.
  18. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Has anyone seen the number that will be pressed?

19. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

I read that there will be 8000 copies pressed.

EDLIS Café likes this.
  20. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

That seems to be a significant number, and one that I strongly suspect will be available on Discogs for near the original retail for a while. It will be interesting to follow.
    Another question, weren't these songs released over the latest official 'bootleg' series - or are some unreleased?

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is about £130 over here. You think this will be so much better than the last MFSL?

22. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

That is a very good question, and one about 7500 future buyers of the One-Step would like to know. I can say that the What's Going On and Abraxas One-Steps both had present day, 33rpm MFSL pressings released. In both cases the overwhelming consensus is that the One-Step pressings were superior to there 33rpm counterparts.
    That being said, my further research into the Blood on the Tracks, RSD 'test pressing' has enlightened me to the fact that the songs on this release are different takes than what's on the traditional album. Now that I know that, I really can't say that the One-Step can replace it, and I was premature in that post above. There is a historic significance to the RSD release, and I can absolutely understand how it stands alone as a historic recording. I still would encourage those who have a love for Blood on the Tracks to also consider the One-Step, although it is now apparent to me that it could not replace the 'Test Pressing' edition. I apologize for speaking out of ignorance.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    DavidD, Cervelo, SoundDoctor and 2 others like this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The recent MFSL Gain 2, Ultra Analog LP mastered and cut by Krieg Wunderlich was pretty good. Not sure if I want to spend a premium to find out what else could be gained from this album. But it's Dylan so the 3000 copies should sell out pretty quick.

24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Is that the number of the total One-Steps you have heard are to be pressed, the number of remaining One-Steps to be preordered or the number of RSD Test Pressings planned to be sold?