Doom Patrol on DC Channel --> HBO Max*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Feb 23, 2019.

1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

watched the first episode of Doom Patrol. Quite enjoyed it. Produced by the guys that worked on The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and Riverdale.

The comic appeared a little bit before The X Men featuring kind of a similar premise. Brendan Fraiser,Timothy Dalton, Matt Bomer, Diane Guerrero and Alan Tudyk.

It’s fun.

I had forgotten that I had read some of these as a kid.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  2. wayneklein

No one subscribes to DC and has seen the show?

3. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Titans started good and became very good by the end of the 1st-this started very good , so i am anxious to see how this goes

wayneklein likes this.
  4. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

I saw a trailer for this and it looked interesting but it showed way too much of the story, so I stopped half way through. Not sure which UK broadcaster or streaming service will be showing this.

5. I imagine many people think Doom Patrol rips off the early X-Men, but it's really the other way around.

psubliminal and Shawn like this.
  6. wayneklein

When I saw that Akiva Goldsman was involved, I was a little hesitant. He’s done some good work (A Beautiful Mind), bad (Lost in Space, Batman and Robin) and indifferent work.
    I think that the lead time (three months) between the two to me suggests that they were just playing in the same sandbox. I will say that there's no way that The X-Men became as surreal as Doom Patrol and it was bizarre at times (a villain that is a living, walking street). I wouldn't put it past Stan Lee to do it (DC and Marvel stole from each other quite a bit and shared writers, artists, etc.)

davenav likes this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I’m enjoying it quite a bit, much more than Titans.

njwiv likes this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Almost through the first season and it keeps getting better and better. The best show on TV that nobody seems to be watching.

kouzie, misterbozz and wayneklein like this.
  9. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Its a quality show, weird but not so way out there that it doesn't have some great comedy and character moments. Recommended.

10. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

11. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I just finished it and loved it.

12. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Just finished episode 15... I loved parts of the series but at the end it was feeling a bit empty. Definitely different (though some things may've come from the Grant Morrison comic, have still never read those). 'Adults mainly' I think would be a good rating.

Will I be back for a second series? Definitely I'll at least want to watch the first episode or two, and I don't watch that much fantasy/sf series.

This has been running on the 'Space' specialty channel in Canada.

13. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Got a few eps left and really dig it. Also 9/10s of the way through the Morrison Omnibus. Dig it too.

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

FANTASTIC!

15. Lonson

I'm on Episode 10 on the Blu-ray and loving every minute of it. This right up there with Legion and Daredevil as favorites of the comic book TV adaptations.

Michael Rose likes this.
  16. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I watched the first two eps. I loved it too. Is the Blu-Ray worth the $$?

17. Lonson

In my opinion, yes, picture and sound are excellent. I don't subscribe to the DC service, so don't know how it compares. . . .

Michael Rose likes this.
  18. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Well I ended up buying season 1 and loved it. I'm watching Season 2 on HBO Max. I'm on episode 3 and so far so good. I'm likely gonna pick up Titans season 1 on Blu ray too. TV is definitely where the best content is at, especially for the superhero genre. I personally haven't seen it but lots of good buzz and award nominations for 'Watchmen'.

19. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Watched some episodes on the computer and finally thought to check the local library. They have it! Have about 3 episodes left to watch and am enjoying it. REALLY liked Episode 6. Always prefer watching on the bigger screen rather than sitting here at the computer. And now I can see the two episodes I missed of PENNY DREADFUL thanks to the library.

20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Started watching this on Stazplay. 6 episodes in. Really quite enjoying it.

Just love Cliff going "WTF!" all the time.

Funny the previous post mentions Penny Dreadful cos with Time Dalton in the group it feels like a more modern day take on it.

fuzzface likes this.
  21. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

wayneklein wrote the following as part of a post:

A similarity between the two is that both were not massively popular.

With The Doom Patrol, at one point they ended the series by killing the entire team which was a very unusual way to end a series*. Year later they revealed that Robotman survived (his skull and part of his body were tough enough to survive the explosion and he was rebuilt by Doc Magnus [creator of The Metal Men]). Over the years they have brought back the entire original team. While The Doom Patrol has become more popular (and weirder) it has never been as popular as The X-Men.

With the X-Men, they were considered a C-List team and at one point there was so little interest in the team that Marvel did reprints because they didn't want to spend money for new stories. It wasn't until (IIRC) Giant Size X-Men #1, which introduced members like Storm, Wolverine, and Colossus, that X-Men became extremely popular.

*One of their enemies left The Doom Patrol a choice: Either he kills The Doom Patrol or he kills everyone on a island. The Doom Patrol chose to die to save people they didn't know.

22. Is this available to stream on other platforms besides the DC Channel?

23. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Flex Mentallo could be the best comic book character shown on any size screen ever.

I really enjoyed the two seasons start to finish but the Chief's daughter arc grows tiresome in spots. So does the Chief. Everyone else though is aces.

24. HBO MAX?

Shawn likes this.
  25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I've been screening the Blu on my home theater. Dig the 2.20 aspect! Enjoyed S1. Now into S2.

I bought Swamp Thing and 2 seasons of Titans. I'm watching Stargirl S1 blu now. DC did ok with these. I hope we continue to get physical disc!

PhantomStranger likes this.