What's The Point Of These Bands Still Going On?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MIKEPR, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

What about if one of the post-original lineups enjoy more success than the original? For example, Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk, the Eagles, etc. Where do you draw the line? Is it the main songwriter, or the singer, or the guitarist etc that MUST be present for the band to be legitimate?

As has been already stated, no one forces the punter to see these bands.

Hadean75 likes this.
  2. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

I saw you there. You were happy indeed! :)

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle

The band members have the right to earn a living and people enjoy it.
    That being said, The "Little River Band" is a full-on scam. They should call themselves a tribute and lower ticket prices.

Fullbug, Spaghettiows and E.Baba like this.
  4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This has been going on since . . . forever. Think of the girl groups, the Motown groups, and 60's "pop" acts like The Association, The 5th Dimension, The Grass Roots and Paul Revere & the Raiders. Many still tour, and fortunately, most people in the audience just want to hear the songs so as long as there is some connection to the original group (usually one remaining member, sometimes the son of an original member), they are happy to attend the show. The advantage that most of these "names" have is that people don't always remember the original members (I mean, for me the Temptations' David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks are two of the greatest vocalsts of the 20th Century, but I don't think others care). And, most of these bands were playing theaters, dinner shows, Vegas, and oldies revues, so people accepted it.

But, I think that it was groups like Journey and Van Halen that demonstrated that even when you lose a critical member that fans love (like the lead vocalist), if you play your cards right, you can keep your audience and still play arenas and stadiums. Journey found their lead vocalist on youtube and they played a couple of stadium dates with Def Leppard last year!! That's a LOT of people, so I'm not sure what would happen if for example, Journey were to be left with only Schon. Not sure if audiences would still accept the band, and maybe they would need to go the theater route.

5. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

I like Steve Hackett's approach, touring old Genesis material but making it clear he isn't "Genesis" (Genesis Revisted)... without saying other acts are being somehow dishonest, Hackett is being completely open.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Exactly. That's a great example.

7. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Wasn't there a "bogus" version of Fleetwood Mac going around in the mid 1970s, and a less-than-genuine Deep Purple somewhere around 1980?

carlwm likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's cool! He's fabulous...

rockstarFotog likes this.
  9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Isn’t there a “bogus” version of Fleetwood Mac going around right now?

10. 905

905 Senior Member

No, Mick and John are there.

DTK and Horace Wimp like this.
  11. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I believe the band you saw was Creedence Clearwater Revisited.

bpmd1962 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  12. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Well really as soon as you take it out of the garage or off front porch you enter the "crass commercial enterprise" category. I'm just sayin'. Making a living, or a little walking around money doing something you enjoy ain't a sin.

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's right. It was a band called Stretch. Hired by Clifford Davis (the Mac's then manager) to fulfill some Fleetwood Mac US commitments in 1974. Initially, Mick Fleetwood was supposed to tour with them but withdrew & denied he knew anything abut them

Very decent in their own right - had a hit in the UK, the following year with Why Did You Do It? - but they never really escaped from the Mac debacle.

14. Riverwest

Riverwest Forum Resident

The Shangri La's? You mean the gal band that quite working in
    1966 - the ones who didn't own the name, the corporation or
    the finances? You mean the people who funded everything
    and paid their salaries - stole the bands name from themselves
    and toured a nostalgia act under a different management team?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. Riverwest

Riverwest Forum Resident

Yes for a single tour - Clifford Davis the supposed manager of Fleetwood Mac decided
    to take 5 unknowns and tour them as Fleetwood Mac to make up dates the real band
    canceled. AFAIK he got to date #5 and was legally told to quit - and then had to pay
    the Real Fleetwood Mac for the pleasure.

In 1980 Rod Evans toured as Deep Purple in name only. He said a management team
    contacted him and had a album - he toured for about 8 months - and then was sued
    by the real Deep Purple for about $800K - supposedly what he made during the bogus
    tour. Since he couldn't pay he was forced at lawyer point to sing away all royalties to
    the album he did make with the DP.

16. Riverwest

Riverwest Forum Resident

Yes...I was autocorrected by Siri.

17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It sounds greedy and probably is, but if people are paying those ticket prices and filling arenas it's probably the correct pricing.
    We don't have to go (I know I'm happy not to).
    Also a big part of the audiences is likely not hard core fans.

phillyal1 likes this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Supposed? Clifford was their manager, and he and the band were facing a big debt for cancelling a tour with short notice.
    According to Clifford, Mick and at least one other member were in on the whole thing but then turned and stabbed him in the back.

Fullbug likes this.
  19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Or pay the dope man , to keep the monkey off their back

20. Riverwest

Riverwest Forum Resident

Of course he's going to say that. He sure didn't say any of that in court -
    which begs the question - if he was going down - why wouldn't he at least
    try to take them down as well?

From what I've read - he didn't because there wasn't any agreement struck.
    Mick Fleetwood is a lot of things - but most of all he and McVie are honorable
    people.

21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Haha, now Mick is honorable? He fired Lindsey Buckingham through his manager a year ago.

WalkAThinLine, peachyg72 and 9la like this.
  22. Riverwest

Riverwest Forum Resident

How is that not honorable? Buckingham has a reputation for
    going off the rails angry - If I was Fleetwood - and I have been
    dealing with Buckinghams crap for 40 years - I wouldn't talk
    to him directly.

23. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Alsao a fake Zombies (all Americans) set out on tour to capitalize on Time of the Season: also Moby Grapes former manager put a fake Moby Grape on tour to compete with the original band.

24. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I refuse to see the New York Philharmonic anymore. They haven't had an original member in over a century!

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The answer is money. It doesn't really compute to me, as a rational person who tries to live within my means, but these guys who've been famous forever can't just go back to living on a normal person's income, I guess. I think some musicians always had a plan for getting off the road, or were used to biding time for long periods between activity. Others probably burned through all their money, made some bad investments, had a few too many divorces/children, etc etc etc, and it's really just a matter of them needing to make X dollars per year to maintain their lifestyle, and that amount can't just be accrued from royalty payments.

But I agree, there's a lot of bands that really shouldn't be out there under their band name, Chicago definitely being one of them (I'm presuming the majority of their set comes from the 69-75 era, plus a couple later Cetera/Champlin-led pop hits).

Jmac1979 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.