New Turntable Rega Planar 2, not happy

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Diorama, Feb 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got a new Rega Planar 2.

I have to say on first view listens the sound isn't what I imagined. There appears to be a lack of highs, very similar to my old RP1.

I checking the tracking force with my digital turntable stylus meter at it is at 1.75.

Mat is cork. Rega into Project Phono preamp into active speakers.

Anyone comment on the sound of theirs?

Thanks

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Doesn't this have the same $20 cartridge as the RP1? If so I don't know why you'd expect the sound to be different.

SoundDoctor and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  3. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Could be a cartridge set-up issue, but, yeah... the included el cheapo Rega Carbon cart does not have a rep for being good. :sigh:

nosliw likes this.
  4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Get rid of it

timind likes this.
  5. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

A DV 10x5 would be a nice step up.

6. Diorama

I have a Nagaoka mp110 but have not fitted it yet. I might return this Rega , as the sound isn't amazing like everyone says. Tho that is first impression, the sound seems very low mid.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. mbrewer566

mbrewer566 Well-Known Member

Upgrade to the Exact 2 cartridge for a noticeable improvement.

Fishoutofwater, GyroSE and Ntotrar like this.
  8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The Rega 2 is a lower end TT. A better cartridge would increase performance, but.........
    I believe a good performance TT from Rega is a Planer 6. I believe the new Technics SL1200 Mark 7 at guessing $1K cost US would meet your requirements. Unfortunately fine new turntables are expensive.

9. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I thought they came with felt mats.

10. Cyclone Ranger

The word from many is that the Rega TT line doesn't really get good 'til the Planar 3. Not that the 1 and 2 stink, more like they're 'just okay'. :oops:

But, the Naga mp110 should be a pretty significant step up from the Carbon cart. Maybe try it out before making the call of whether or not to return the 'table.

Though I guess over in Europe, the price difference between a Planar 2 and 3 isn't that much, if your intent is to trade up.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    SandAndGlass and displayname like this.
  11. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

12. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Put the original mat back on and buy a real cartridge. if I put that same cart on my P3 it would sound similar. With my Hana EH it sounds great.

13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Planar 2 is capable of good sound. It isn't working alone however, as it is just a base for a cartridge, and the cartridge needs to be amplified and then of course sent to speakers. So there are at a minimum, 3 other components which contribute to the overall sound of the system. Having the same cartridge as the Planar 1, there isn't going to be a huge improvement in sound without haviing other upgrades elsewhere as well. It is a better deck, so it has more potential for upgrades to your system if you choose to do so.
    -Bill

14. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

If the current cart is sub-par to mediocre at best what do you expect?

Install the better cart that you already own and have a listen. What do you have to lose ... a 1/2 hour of setup time?

15. Diorama

Thanks Bill, so what is the point of buying a RP1 over a RP2 if both can be upgraded. seems a little pointless.

I have my Nagaokta mp110 that I shall fit and cork mat, so there is too difference might give a better sound.

16. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

True, I agree moving to a 2 from a 1 isn’t a dramatic step up. Was there an issue with the rp1?

17. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

My Rega RP2 with Exact cartridge and upgraded subplatter sounds superb through my Rega Fono MM MK3. I did audition a RP6 but felt the difference in SQ was not worth the extra £££'s. I have a very balanced sound from lows to highs.

Fishoutofwater and PhxJohn like this.
  18. Diorama

I thought would just take the leap. I will prob keep tho just a little disappointed that the sound is pretty much exact same.

19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You mean to say, "What is the point of buying a Planar 2 over a Planar 1 or RP1?" So, the Planar 2 is a better deck as it has a better arm and platter. Both use the same cartridge, the Rega Carbon, which is their entry level cartridge, supplied just to get you going. It really doesn't sound too bad IMO, but you do have the option of upgrading to a nicer cartridge later. What the better arm and platter of the Planar 2 provide is a more stable platform for a good cartridge. So you get a table that will support a more advanced cartridge that would otherwise be pushing the limits of the Planar 1. The Planar 2 could be said to support cartridge up to the $600 level, where the Planar 1 starts to lose out to it with over $400 cartridges. The Planar 3 can support over $1000 cartridges. for the same reasons. So you are getting the same reliability and sound quality if you never upgrade to anything more than a $400 cartridge from all of the units. As you get better speakers, amps, and cartridges, the differences that the quality of the tables offer will become more apparent.
    -Bill

luckyno13, punkmusick, GyroSE and 4 others like this.
  20. Cyclone Ranger

On a side note, the practice of including el cheapo carts on non-el-cheapo decks maybe isn't so great. :(

That Rega Carbon is like $35 USD-equivalent in the UK (i.e. what it's really worth). The Planar 2 is about $525 USD-equiv over there (and $675 in the US). I know of no one who wants to put a $35 cart on a $500+ turntable, for obvious reasons.

So, why even bother including a cart, if it's going to hold the whole package back so much? The Carbon doesn't even make a good chew-toy for your dog, as he'll probably swallow it.

21. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I would echo those who say you need a new/better cartridge. In my experience, the cartridge has the most significant impact on the sound. The difference between two cartridges can be very dramatic and eye opening.

Stanton56 and nosliw like this.
  22. Diorama

Yes, sorry mistake.
    I shall put my Nagaokta MP110 on it and see the difference, tho I guess I would be just best fitting it onto my RP1

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  23. pez

pez Forum Resident

The tonearm and plinth are better on the rp2 I think

24. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Listen to Bill- he knows what he's talking about.

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The Rega Carbon is pretty much the same thing as a Chinese AT 3600 cart you can buy on eBay for less than $15 shipped. It is what it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.