Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Eivind Aarset - Dream Logic (2012).

[​IMG]

2. Tokyo Ghost

Bang On A Can - Classics (2002).

[​IMG]

Vaughan likes this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Canteloupe Records put their hand into my wallet far too regularly. :D

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

From 1977. With Derek Bailey, Steve Beresford, Mischa Mengelberg & Lol Coxhill.

[​IMG]

93curr, jay.dee and andolink like this.
  5. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I was at Cafe Oto last night watching Alex Hawkins / Evan Parker / Enemy / Riot Ensemble; and had a look through the vinyl racks. They refresh every few months and this caught my eye. When I got home I checked the year in which I bought the only other Ashley album I have - Perfect Lives (Private Parts) - the Bar...1982. I just might have to search out his other stuff now that I've been reminded of him...

[​IMG]

Vaughan and mr.datsun like this.
  6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Superb reissue by Lovely Music of this previously very expensive long out-of-print album. Tip-on cover and good pressing.
    They have also re-pressed David Behrman's On The Other Ocean

7. Tokyo Ghost

Akira Sakata - Silent Plankton (1991).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jiffypopinski and 93curr like this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I think this could fit here as well as classical. Excellent either way.

[​IMG]

johnnypaddock likes this.
  9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Interesting. It comes across as a more lavishly arranged Paul Lansky piece (Lansky worked with only voice and synth).

I love these Lansky pieces, although for some reason I find them to be a very emotional listening experience. They're like listening to the distant past, and feel like things lost.

I'd say the title you link would be an instant buy - sadly, Amazon doesn't have a physical copy, only download.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

sberger likes this.
  12. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

Going out to catch the new project - Pedagogy - of Eli Keszler and Nate Boyce. Keszler has long been a musician I've wanted to see live; beyond excited that this is playing local, as we tend to have a really poor showing of avant garde musicians.

JMAC likes this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

We all make typos, but I was on some kind of world record right there! :D

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Something different, yet definitely Avant Garde. This is a mammoth work with performance/Opera mixed together with drones and an ambience of terror above the calmness below.

This is a 3-CD release, and ships with a huge booklet with the complete Libretto (over 80 pages!) This piece is well-known for bring electro-acoustic sound, using an orchestra without any strings.

It's a real mood piece. Of course, you need 3 hours or so to play the entire thing, but then what have you got better to do on a Sunday evening?

HenryFly, Mike Ga and andolink like this.
  15. Tokyo Ghost

Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicans (1998).

The Nonesuch version which was recorded in 1996.

[​IMG]

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Probably my favorite piece of music, and this is a killer version. The ECM version seems to get all the kudos, but it's around half the length of this one.

Johnny Action and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  17. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

Klaus Schulze & Gunter Schickert - the Schulze-Schickert session.
    Melow krautrock, recorded on a one off session 26th of September 1975.

Vaughan likes this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

That came in two formats on CD, a jewelcase and a digipac. From the sales blurb at the time, it read as though there was something unique about the digipac, so I bought both.

Yeah - exactly the same. :D

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I don't recall if I've posted on this before, so I thought I'd make a note here.

There is a rather excellent box set out there - Charlotte Moorman Anthology. It's a 4-disc set, and includes a nice book. If you get this along with the biography: The Topless Cellist, you're in for a great journey.

All that said, there are two versions of the box set. The earlier one can be a little more difficult to find now. The newer version has different outer packaging, but all the contents are the same (including inserts).

I got the newer version, hence my post. If I did it again, I'd of paid more for the original package, which included an actual box. The newer - cheaper - version is a flimsy cardboard envelope type affair that is wholly inadequate and nasty. Since there's a big book in here, along with inserts, the things just wants to fall apart.

So yeah, just a warning really.

[​IMG]

93curr likes this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

21. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Don't think it's that much longer - I have both and the ECM is about 58 minutes, and the Nonesuch 67.

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Fair enough, my mistake. Still, 9 minutes is a long period. if i could only own one version, the one posted is the one I prefer. I have 5 CD's of this piece thus far. :D

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This was recorded in 2000 on a Bosendorfer. It's the usual Palestine performance of continuous playing for around 50 minutes creating wave upon wave of drone and phasing tones. Classic Palestine, you might say.

jiffypopinski and 93curr like this.
  24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The last recordings from Dockstader previously was the third part of his Aerial trilogy. Tragically Dementia took over, and he finally passed. From the Archives are a set of tracks made after Aerial, that were found on the hard discs of his computer. One could argue they're not fully developed, but to be honest we can never know what he had in mind for them. Regardless, this is the final set of compositions for this pioneer of electronic music, and it's worth having for that reason alone.

93curr and Mike Ga like this.
  25. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Of all of Reich’s other works, which one approximates or resembles Music For 18 Musicians the most, would you say?