Yamaha A-S1100 or McIntosh MA5200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by matrix-6, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Just turn off the vu meters and the speakers. The wife will never know.

matrix-6 and George P like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

I haven't heard anything about a SS amp staying on for 24/7 not being safe.

Of the other questions you asked, the only one I know about is increase in the electric bill. My girlfriend saw very little of an increase, small enough so that she didn't bother me about it. And she's had her eye on it.

matrix-6 likes this.
  3. lollerberry

lollerberry Well-Known Member

You can turn off the VU entirely with the switch on the front I love seeing it though.

4. Bon Scott

Bon Scott Well-Known Member

Not really helpful to the OP, but this thread, and those videos about the 1100, are really making me want to upgrade from the A-S501.

matrix-6, lollerberry and bradleyc like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

I owned the predecessor to the A-S501, upgraded to the A-S801 and I'm very happy with this decision.

From Audioholics, about the A-S801:

"For 8 ohms, two channels driven, output was around 105 watts/channel and 185 watts/channel for 4 ohms under 0.01% THD+N (well below clipping)."

6. Bon Scott

The 801 is another option I've considered, but I think I'd go all the way up to the 1100.

bradleyc likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

I don't blame you. It's a sexy unit.

The A-S1100 doesn't fit on my rack (too deep), so I never considered it. Plus, it's nearly three times the cost, wow, I didn't realize that.

8. lollerberry

Have you seen this video from the same guy on YouTube? He went through all the A-S models and concluded that the 1100 is the one worth getting given the price & design.

Here is the video:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  9. Bon Scott

Used or refurb brings the cost down quite a bit.

10. Bon Scott

I did watch a bit of that, but I didn't think he discussed the models below the 1000.

11. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

As another option, Ryan M. at HiFi Heaven in Green Bay can offer some nice discounted prices for new Yammie gear with factory warranty if you’re so inclined.

12. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

In Australia used as1100s can be picked up for the same pricec as a new 801.

13. Gokce

Gokce Well-Known Member

As owner to a AS 2100, I totally agree with significant improvement after the burn in process. My unit out of the box sounded closed, warm with recessed highs and stiff. Now, after 2 month with daily 3-4 hours of music play it sounds much cleaner and more dynamic, relaxed. Lows are better controlled, defined and balanced and also the highs are silky and clean. If this amp had just a bit more fast rhythm and a little more organic, musical delivery, it would be the perfect one for me.. But then again, at this price range, there is no perfect one I guess.. And as it is, I am such pleased overall with it that now I am selling my Hegel H190..

Just a tip, what I also noticed was, my unit had quite strong "new" smell from parts inside when warmed up at the beginning. After about a month or so, the smell faded away mostly and after that, the sound has not changed much.. That, I assume was an indicator to me that the burn in process was mostly complete :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    matrix-6, bradleyc and weavzy like this.
  14. Snorbitz

Snorbitz Well-Known Member

I have the AS-1100 and I absolutely love this thing. Not only does it have the retro look from the 70s which I remember well back in the day but the quality of build is absolutely phenominal. An old-skool discreet amplifier built with Mosfets, Relays and the old style carbon resistors and capacitors which are all evident in this thing, not a single modern IC Chip in there. Huge heat sink on each side and a massive transformer. Inside is more gorgeous than the outside. The thing weighs in at a massive 23Kg / 50lbs.

Regarding the smell, I've only had my AS-1100 for about three weeks and the smell (That electronic newness smell), has finally gone away so yea, these things do smell a bit for a couple of weeks at least. But it's all good and I'm keeping mine for the foreseeable future.

matrix-6 likes this.
  15. Gokce

Gokce Well-Known Member

and by the way, I have the black color and now ordering dark brown wood side panels.. Black color with dark brown side panels are only for sale in limited countries, no availability globally but you can order them and they look fabulous IMO.

[​IMG]

16. lollerberry

Wow, gorgeous! I also have the black one but had no idea the wood side panels are an option. Is that something you’ve ordered at the AD? Can’t find that anywhere online - hopefully it’s not too expensive?

17. Gokce

Gokce Well-Known Member

I have ordered as spare part via Yamaha Turkey. 95 € for both sides including shipping.

lollerberry likes this.
  18. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

McLover and 360-12 like this.
  19. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

In the Netherlands we have a nice saying for this type of situation: 'mustard after the meal'.

Shiver, Moebius, 33na3rd and 6 others like this.
  20. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Hard to believe this combo was a limited release in certain countries only. Even harder to believe I scored my dark wooded AS1100 at 20% off because they weren't selling. Theyre just so god damned beautiful.

bradleyc likes this.
  21. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'm definitely ordering them if available in the U.S.

Gokce likes this.
  22. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I must say, having screwed my panels off, it would be not much work to make panels for this amp. Then you could stain/varnish/paint them what ever colour you desire.

matrix-6 and ranch 22b like this.
  23. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

95 euro seems excessive for 2 planks of timber...unless theyre audiophile grade...ahem.

Roycer likes this.
  24. Helom

Helom Forum member

Of course, it's a special timber with quantum-grain technology.

Scratcha, Roycer and weavzy like this.
  25. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

They're pre broken-in as an anti-angst measure.

Scratcha and matrix-6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.