Ebay best offer

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by sunking101, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident Thread Starter

As you probably know you can set a price where Ebay will automatically accept best offers of this amount or more to speed up the selling process. However, why do Ebay not demand immediate payment if the best offer is auto-accepted at the time of submission like they would with a normal 'buy it now'?

It's infuriating that I supposedly sold an item this morning, seven hours ago, and the seller still hasn't paid despite their offer being accepted there and then. What possible reason could there be for a delay in payment? They saw the item, liked it, made an offer £19 less than my buy it now price and it was accepted immediately. They then disappeared without paying.

2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

you really expect someone to be waiting with baited breath to pay you immediately if and when you accept their offer? or pay up front?

3. sunking101

You didn't read my post correctly. Their offer was accepted immediately by the system.

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

my apologies. that is indeed annoying then. unfortunately also pretty common.

sunking101 likes this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So eBay has just gotten worse, and worse for sellers. Once you finally get paid for this, then they'll take their 10%, which I'm guessing means you sold your item for next to nothing.
    Sure thankful I stopped selling there many years ago now.

Dave and sunking101 like this.
  6. sunking101

Ebay take 10% and Paypal take a fair amount too. It certainly isn't the site it used to be.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

True, I forgot them.
    Read recently here how they force the Make An Offer option on you now, if your item hasn't sold in a certain amount of time too.

Fridgetoo likes this.
  8. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Isn't immediate payment an option you can chose or not (as a seller)?

Fridgetoo likes this.
  9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Only for Buy It Now (in the USA, anyway)

Fridgetoo likes this.
  10. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

It bugs me as well that you accept the buyers offer and then they wait days or a week to pay. I think that's rude. So what I do now is, when the buyer submits an off of say, $10; I counter offer with something like $10.01 and it goes back to the buyer to accept or decline. If they accept the counter offer they have to pay immediately just like a normal buy-it now. They pretty much get the price they want and you get paid right away. It weeds out some bad buyers. If they want to let the item go because of a penny, so be it. But it's worked well for me so far.

11. sw61139

sw61139 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea!!

12. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

How about when the seller has a offer option and you make one and they ignore it. Gotta love that.

Daddy-O4 likes this.
  13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Anything can happen these days. If the guy isn't actively working eBay he may not look at it for a while.

14. joachim.ritter

It might depend on the offer.

When the offer is very low, like 20 or 30 percent of the fixed price, I often just ignore it.

15. Francophile50

So you're the guy! Lol well when somebody ignores it I either wind up paying their price or more than often buying it from someone else. And when I do buy it from them I usually give them low marks as far as communication.

16. joachim.ritter

What's your eBay handle? I need to block you!

LOL

17. Francophile50

If somebody isn't actively working eBay they shouldn't be selling there. When I buy something from somebody I communicate with them and pay them as soon as possible. For example I just bought a deep purple CD for $3 cuz nobody wanted it. The same seller had a couple more for $3 that I don't think anybody wanted either going off a couple days later. After I won the auction I sent a message to him telling him I was interested in more CDs he had for sale. he told me no problem just ignore the eBay reminders to pay for your auction and I will combine the shipping and send them all to you together. It was a wonderful transaction and everybody won. In another transaction out of Canada I bought a Red Rose speedway CD for like $10. After I won I messaged the owner I was sorry that I paid him because I saw a whole bunch of other CDs that I could have bought from him and had them shipped all together. He messaged me back and asked me which CDs I was interested in. I told him 9 and he gave me a price for a lot. I messaged him back and asked him to add in one more CD and it was a deal. He said sure and made a special auction just for me. he said the price outrageously high with a make offer option so that nobody would buy it except me. I offered him what he told me he would sell it for he accepted I paid him and now it's on its way to me. That is what I call a businessman who wants to sell something. We both were reasonable and both got what we wanted.

Rodz42 and SJP like this.
  18. Francophile50

As far as making offers. I would never offer 20 or 30% of what they are asking more like 75 or 80% or if I think they are being unreasonable in their value I will ask them what they would be willing to accept. Communication is the key to a successful transaction. if they tell me to just make an offer and I make an offer and they decline it or make a counter-offer that's like a dollar off then I realized they're into just getting what they want in value or playing games. my thing is why I have a make offer option if you only want to take a dollar off?

joachim.ritter likes this.
  19. sunking101

I hate it when the seller has a high ticket item and adds 'make an offer' to his buy it now.
    Lets' say his asking price is £500 it annoys me when I offer £450, then £460, then £475 but all three are declined. Sellers who add the 'make an offer' feature to their listings but basically won't accept anything but the buy it now price really annoy me.

mackat, Strat-Mangler and Dave like this.
  20. Francophile50

Exactly. So do you want to sell this or not? Just tell us what you want. if you put make offer you're telling the world you're willing to accept offers and consider taking less. If you're not don't put that. If you only want to take $5 less just reduce your price by $5. You may have time for games but I don't.

Dave and sunking101 like this.
  21. joachim.ritter

There are good reasons to start with a high buy-it-now price combined with the making offer options.

And there are good reasons to accept a 80% offer from one buyer but not from another buyer.

But of course using the making offer option and not willing to give at least a 5% discount doesn't make any sense.

Strat-Mangler, Dave and GentleSenator like this.
  22. Francophile50

What ever your reasoning is I don't care. Communication is the key. Tell me all you will give us 5%. Don't make me play some stupid guessing game. If you do it only pushes buyers away.

Dave likes this.
  23. joachim.ritter

It is your right to see this all only from a buyer's perspective. But don't wonder if you don't understand all aspects of selling on eBay.

Strat-Mangler and GentleSenator like this.
  24. Francophile50

Buyer's perspective, seller's perspective no matter. Treat others as you wish to be treated. You make it sound like there are mysteries to the universe of selling. What is so complicated that I couldn't understand and that you couldn't communicate? There are only actions where someone is being kind and someone is being selfish.

25. joachim.ritter

Other sellers might have different reasons to use the make offer option. I can't speak for them.

I was using it for a long time and was happy with the results. But more and more buyers seem to prefer buying within seconds. Instead of lowering prices on some items I took away the offer option and invested money in eBay advertising. It might work better than lowering prices.

I will still use the make offer option in future when a price for an item is hard to determine. Or when both supply and demand are low.

When accepting an offer it makes a difference whether it is a repeat buyer, a buyer who makes offers on several items or someone who wants to get just one item a little bit cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.