Favorite season of Breaking Bad?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chrome_Head, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

Hard to believe it's been over ten years now since this show debuted.

I watched every episode on TV as it aired, and hadn't watched it since. These past few weeks, after the finale of Better Call Saul S4, I was inspired to go back and watch what I think is my favorite BB season, 4.

Like others said in the (now locked) mega thread on this show here on these forums, BB S4 starts out a bit slow. Walt spends a lot of time trying to figure out how to get close enough to Gus to off him. There is an episode where Marie, the sister-in-law, breaks bad herself while her husband recovers from injuries suffered in S3, that was well done but felt a bit like filler.

But man oh man, by the end of this season, there are some moments of white-knuckle suspense. Some amazing moments too: the short and tragic look into the background of Gus; Jesse going down to Mexico and gaining a bit of respect from Gus and Mike by telling off the cartel's cook; the show making you think that Walt is going to take the easy way out and go on the run with his family, but his wife gave $600,000 of his money to her ex-boss who's getting audited. And those last few episodes with the cat and mouse game between Walt and Gus--brilliant stuff.

The only season which gives S4 a run for it's money, IMO, is S2--from the mind-blowing reveal of the episode titles, to the Walt's actions hurting the public at large when he lets Jesse's girlfriend perish (leading to the plane crash), to Walt and Jesse getting abducted by Tuco to Walt himself fully donning the Heisenberg persona. S2 was also brilliant. I need to rewatch that one too, but right now, S4 edges it out slightly because all the secrets are out in the open and the clash at the end is unforgettable.

What's your favorite season from this amazing show?

Nightfly68, GMfan87', old45s and 2 others like this.
  2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I was going to contribute, and then realized it's been so long since I watched BB that I can't remember which season I liked best! I need to do a rewatch - maybe during the Christmas break. More later...

rburly and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Amazing show indeed. Can't separate the seasons.

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

season 2 has the debuts of Mike, Hector, Saul and Gus. That cinches it for me.

Special mention of small, but crucial role for an excellent John De Lancie

[​IMG]

season 2 also contains the episode where the RV battery dies

5. alexpop

Wonder how the BB movie will be viewed later, not as a episode ..more a film adaptation I guess:

6. Season one. Just did another binge of the series over a week ago, and it's no contest for me.

7. alexpop

How many BB binge watch have you did ?

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

S3. This was my first tv show. A buddy gave me a USB with S1-3 before S4 had aired.

alexpop likes this.
  9. Chrome_Head

What do you like about S3 so much? Probably ranks lower for me overall in comparison to the rest.

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I really can’t remember why. It was 2010 or 11 and that was the only time I’ve watched it.

11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I liked S1 and S2 best, I guess. The writers had a hard enough time with the Jesse and Walt gestalt. Once they started introducing lots of other characters, the show lost some depth, direction and focus.

old45s and Gollum like this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Whichever one introduced Saul!

wrappedinsky and thgord like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

I don't know that I agree with that. The additions of characters like Mike, Gus and Saul (hell, even the addition of the nazi villains of S5) only deepened what they were able to do with Walt & Jesse.

That would be S2.

old45s likes this.
  14. alexpop

Breaking Bad movie had to have a series of flashbacks.

15. Chrome_Head

I don't know about that. We'll see. I have my theories how they'll get around bringing back dead characters.

16. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

For me, this is the only TV show where the story and writing got progressively better each season. Season 5 was masterfully crafted.

17. alexpop

What happened to the Anniversary blu ray box set?

18. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Just started watching this series. On episode 3 of the first season. I assume I am in for an eventful ride.

19. alexpop

Gets better and better!!!!!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. Chrome_Head

Even though I had seen it and kinda remembered what happened, there are moments throughout the series (particularly in S4-5) that are just unbelievably suspenseful.

GMfan87', thgord, team2 and 1 other person like this.
  21. alexpop

Best tv series in the past twenty years.

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

id leave this thread just in case of spoilers....!

alexpop likes this.
  23. alexpop

Hate that myself.
    Wise words.

24. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Leaving now. I'll be back in a few months when I complete the series.

team2 and the pope ondine like this.
  25. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

you sure are! had to laugh when i read this, you'll know why before long - enjoy :)

GMfan87' and MikeInFla like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.