The National announce new album “I Am Easy To Find” (May 17) and World Tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dflow, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan Thread Starter

The hints and murmurs of something being in the works were for real. New single released today as well!
    The National

doppelganger, SoundDoctor and DPK like this.
  2. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this, hopefully it will be as good as older albums

doppelganger and Dflow like this.
  3. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

The new album announcement seemed imminent but this is still a nice surprise. Love the cover art. Love that they are officially releasing Rylan.

I’m a member of the Cherry Tree fanclub and they are offering an exclusive “colored swirl” vinyl that I (of course) had to preorder along with the 3 LP deluxe version.

JL6161, jimhb and doppelganger like this.
  4. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Here's the new song.

5. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I, too, am looking forward to this album! Of course, I am biased, as my daughter is part of the team at Brooklyn Youth Chorus, and they sang parts on this record, just last weekend.
    :edthumbs:

6. BeardedSteven

I broke down and became a Cherry Tree member today. And then it says anyone who is a member as of yesterday gets access to the tour presale tomorrow. :doh: I can't quite tell from their tour date poster but it looks like Courtney Barnett is opening up them in Indy. That should be a pretty good time!

Jerry James likes this.
  7. Alien Ache

“You Had Your Soul With You” seems like an extension of the sounds they were exploring on Sleep Well Beast. The additional vocalist was jarring at first but after a couple listens the juxtaposition is nice. Can’t wait to hear more!

Dflow and BeardedSteven like this.
  8. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

Fantastic news about the new album :D :cool: what’s not so great is the fact that there only UK show not already sold out is Hyde Park, which happens to be on the same weekend as the Formula 1 British Grand Prix that I already have a weekend ticket for :cry:

9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Well, The National sure know their sound and are milking it for all its worth. Good for them. I'm just not sure I can get excited for yet another album that sounds exactly the same.

10. Dflow

I agree. The first time I heard the song I was picking up some subtlle similarities in the beat to the song Sleep Well Beast. That is obviously a much slower song but there seems to be something there in common.

11. Dflow

Anyone else curious and excited about the below?

“We are very excited to announce 'I Am Easy To Find', a short film directed by Mike Mills starring Alicia Vikander, and 'I Am Easy To Find', our new album out May 17th on 4AD. The former is not the video for the latter; the latter is not the soundtrack to the former.”

jimhb likes this.
  12. Alien Ache

I assume the soundtrack for the short film will be distinctly different than the music/songs on the album. Whether they are unused tracks from the recording sessions, reinterpreted versions of songs on the album or wholly new compositions remains to be seen. Whatever the case, it will be cool to have them on Side E of the deluxe vinyl edition.

Dflow likes this.
  13. Alien Ache

14. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

[​IMG]

JL6161 and Rupe33 like this.
  15. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

New album contains sixteen songs,the first single "You Had Your Soul With You" is on YouTube now

Easily one of my all time favorite bands,this is an automatic purchase!

16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I tried to get tickets to see them yesterday. Started queuing online half an hour early, was held in a queue for 90 minutes, then told all the tickets were sold. I guess The National got popular. :sigh:

17. BeardedSteven

Ahh. I didn't catch that. I assumed the 3LP was a 45 rpm version or something that I didn't even tho it looks pretty. Now I'll probably have to spring for it!

18. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Excellent news about the new album,pretty surprised that its 16 songs and 68 minutes in total,but that just means there's more to dig into!

Pleasantly surprised how quick the turn around from sleep well beast was,this is an automatic purchase:pineapple::righton:

19. Dflow

Placed my order as well and splurged for the Cherry Tree limited edition swirl version.

Alien Ache likes this.
  20. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Re: The artwork, is that the same woman/photo session from the Trouble Will Find Me album cover?

21. Dflow

I had the same reaction. Same gray and pulled back hair but I did some Googling and pretty sure a different artist for this cover. Did recently read that the artwork for High Violet was done by Matt’s second cousin who is pretty famous in his own right.

Wild Frank likes this.
  22. Dflow

Posting the link for the short film trailer. Really cool to hear a portion of the final? studio version of Rylan. After all only about 7 years in the making.

JL6161 and Wild Frank like this.
  23. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I thought it may be a Bowie thing (recycling artwork from Heroes for The Next Day) noting that Bowie’s bass player Gail Ann Dorsey is on the new track.

24. Alien Ache

That's actress Alicia Vikander on the cover. She's also in the short film directed by Mike Mills. She's fairly famous (she was in Ex Machina, Tomb Raider, Jason Bourne). But I definitely agree that the cover and her pose evoke the cover of TWFM.

Dflow likes this.
  25. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I'm assuming since a tracklist isn't included for the soundtrack to the short film yet (Side E), that these are a mix of instrumental tracks, perhaps based on some of the songs from the album or some completely original instrumentals and alternate primordial variants of some songs off the album itself ("they share music and words and DNA" as per the press release) . Looking forward to hearing it!

The advance single is really nice. I'm in for the 3 LP version.

Dflow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.