Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

A new entry on Amazon suggests there might be an exciting release on the near horizon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NWZ6345/

So far the only information (aside from the steep $213.99 price) is:

Product details
    • Audio CD (May 3, 2019)
    • Number of Discs: 1
    • Format: Import
    • Label: Sony Japan
    • ASIN: B07NWZ6345
    This seems to potentially suggest a box of the complete 1975 tour recordings, presumably along the lines of 2016's 1966 collection. Of course, either the price or number or discs seem to be in error. In any case, I'm hard pressed to imagine such a set would be released as Japanese exclusive.

2. DeeThomaz

Larry "Ratso" Sloman was recently quoted in Mojo saying:

"The Scorcese documentary is incredible. The footage they have is amazingly intimate, they're right up his nose. They're also doing a soundtrack album to accompany the movie, and i went to some of the mixing sessions. Boy, to hear that version of One More Cup of Coffee again! I don't think Bob ever played it better."

3. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

The winter of this year is gonna be a great one if this is true. i'm assuming the may date is a placeholder.

mpayan and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. DeeThomaz

Although details are obviously very sketchy and this could very well turn out to be a far less exciting release than we might hope, I'll note that the official title of the 1966 box is "The 1966 Tour Recordings"-- a phrase which closely matches the subtitle of this set.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Sean, jeroemba, Heart of Gold and 2 others like this.
  5. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I wouldn't be surprised if the May date is more or less correct assuming this will be released in conjunction with/promotion of the Scorsese film. I believe it was mentioned as an "early 2019" release & I do know that Netflix recently made it available for inclusion on one's watchlist.

JL6161, RobCos02330, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. WildHoneyPie

Maybe that is the case. I was assuming the film would come around fall/winter time along with the boxset as the last few Bootleg Series releases have been around then.

7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I'm looking forward to the documentary. But really the previous 1975 Bootleg Series for this tour does it for me. Maybe I'm just burning out on these mega-sets.

8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Seems likely for a lot of reasons. There is a precedent and a trend. I have mixed feelings about this era, but it's exciting nonetheless. 50 discs? +/-?

SoundDoctor likes this.
  9. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Who really knows? I suspect, like The 1966 Live Recordings, this won't officially be part of the Bootleg Series.
    BTW, I see you're in Kettering. As in Ohio... just down the road? Cheers!

10. DeeThomaz

I just wish we were getting the 1976 recordings too. I realize that would likely make it far too massive to be practical, but as it stands it feels like only half the story of the RTR is being told (at least in terms of audio). Oh well. At least there's always Hard Rain.

11. DeeThomaz

Yep. 50 seems plausible (if we can assume ALL shows were recorded, even if most are board tapes).

I think it's also quite likely such a set would only include the Dylan performances.

12. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I have BS 5 and bootleg dvd of both Hard Rain shows, I think that's all I really need...

13. WildHoneyPie

Oh no there is a Kettering in England aswell and i'm from there , sorry haha.

rikki nadir likes this.
  14. DeeThomaz

This seems like a good time to relink to the 2017 Rolling Stone article that suggested the possibility of a RTR collection to tie-in with the documentary (even if it's taken a little bit longer than they were hoping at the time):

Future of Bob Dylan Bootleg Series: Rolling Thunder Doc – Rolling Stone

"Nothing is definite, but next year could finally see the release of a long-awaited documentary about the famed Rolling Thunder Revue tour of 1975–76 that will be paired with a box set of music from the era. “It’s a great period and there’s so much music that was so well-recorded,” says a source close to the Dylan camp. “I think that’ll be a great companion piece to the film. We have incredible, incredible stuff. Hopefully it’ll all come out next year.”

15. I can't afford anymore of those, and find them too expensive and often huge letdowns regardless.
    I'd like to see the documentary myself also.

16. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

Bring all of them on! Plymouth, Danbury, Boston, and Toronto. My all time favorite Dylan boots from my all time favorite Dylan period.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i hear you...but when you think about it, the 1966 36 cd set is going for $95 right now..... when i think what i used to pay for one dylan bootleg back in the day

JL6161, NYMets41, mpayan and 6 others like this.
  18. DeeThomaz

We know 5 shows were recorded by mobile trucks: Worcester, Cambridge, Boston (both sets) and Montreal (the 24-track tapes from which BS5 was assembled).

It's believed there are board tapes for the entirety of the 1975 tour, but even if that's mostly accurate I won't be surprised to learn if there are occasional gaps, as on the 1966 Tour Recordings.

I wonder if this set would include tour rehearsals?

19. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

This is the box set I would most like to see (hear). If past is prologue, I think we can only expect the Dylan performances from the available tapes and not a representation of the entire show though I would like to be wrong. The first Toronto is probably my favourite show from the first tour. I am not aware of whether or not the 1976 Rolling Thunder will be represented as the documentary footage available to Scorcese was probably from the fall 1975 tour.

20. WildHoneyPie

Soundboards also exist for the Halloween Plymouth show, half a soundboard for Lowell, Waterbury and MSG.

21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

This is wonderful news. Great era for Dylan.

CBackley, Sean, SteveFff and 2 others like this.
  22. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

FYI CD Japan has a listing for the 1966 box which has the price as approx $220, so this might be a similar size box to that. $213 does seem steep for one disc!

Live 1966 Box Set [Limited Release] Bob Dylan CD Album

IronWaffle and DeeThomaz like this.
  23. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

This set could be 50 discs?? Don't get me wrong, I love 1975 live Dylan, but I can't imagine ever listening to this many shows from the tour. And this is from a fan who thinks the Cutting Edge and 1966 Tour sets are the ultimate archival releases.

Rickchick, Sean, SteveM and 1 other person like this.
  24. Ayuso

Ayuso Forum Resident

25. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius