Anybody still go to record shows?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Yup.
    The last record show I attended, I picked up a near mint Mudcructch promo 45 on Shelter, a US first press of 'Piper At the Gates of Dawn' in excellent condition,
    and some Trouser Press magazines. You never know what you'll find.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Fullbug, Juggsnelson and parman like this.
  2. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Went to one in New Hope a few weeks back. Hadn't been to one in years. Definitely a major shift toward vinyl and not a lot of new releases.

Didn't get anything but it was worth it to see how things have changed.

3. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i used to go to one in Pasadena on monthly basis back in the early 90's. i was there sorely for the bootlegs as the price on them were RIDICULOUS in my local shops (that is if i could find one ~).
    that all stopped around 95/96 when i finally got on the internet. i still remember the 1st words i ever typed on the internet search page...Prince BOOTLEG :p

Fullbug likes this.
  4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Raleigh Record Show is Sunday March 17th at the Hampton Inn on Glenwood Avenue / HWY 70 (near Carbtree Valley Mall)

uzn007 likes this.
  5. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

I remember that one...it's been over 35 years since I've been...

lazydawg58 likes this.
  6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

There's one is Missoula this coming weekend. Sunday, I think.

7. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I used to enjoy them, now I don't.

I'm in line with the posters who make a point to buy what they really want, whether online or B&M, versus the impulse buy at record fairs.

Of course, the whole "gotta get there early" and just the social aspects of it don't interest me at all. I love listening to records and I take pride in my own collection, but I couldn't care less about rare pressings or becoming friends with other record buyers.

8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm going to the show in St. Louis this Sunday, March 10th.

9. lazydawg58

That's an interesting way of look at it. I see record shows completely differently. I go to find reasonably priced records in good condition. At the record shows I don't have to wade through the trashed records and the easy listening to get to the records I'm interested in. Like you I'm not out there searching for a particular pressing. These re-sellers at the shows are often trying to move out slow moving records to make room for records they hope will sell quicker. Often those $12, $10, $5 albums inevitably find their was to the $3, $2 and eventually $1 bins. Sure Dark Side of the Moon or Physical Graffiti are always going to sell for double digits but there is so much more out there.

As far as impulse buying I have a few albums I'm always on the lookout for, but I'm driven more by finding artists and albums that I've for one reason or another never listened to before. It is about the old being the new again. I've built a nice collection of sixties soul music that takes me back to my childhood but is now at a much deeper level. My sixties country collection is the same way.

I guess it is all how you look at it.

overdrivethree likes this.
  10. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

For me, it was discovering UK folk music about a decade ago, which sent me on a really frustrating search for the things I liked.

I was about to say, that stuff is priced like hen's teeth no matter where you go, but then I just remembered the guy at a record fair who mispriced an original US pressing of John Martyn "Solid Air" for $4. (And I'm not like "ooh, an original!" That album is hard to come by in my neck of the woods, regardless of pressing or even format.) When he saw how stoked I was to find it anyway, he let me have it for the $4.

But overall I think used vinyl pricing - at fairs, in B&M stores or online - has gotten out of hand. I guess I'm a little more discretionary with my dollar no matter where it's being spent, vinyl-wise.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  11. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Atlanta record show today

rummaging through 3-for-$10 bins I scored

The Who - Tommy
    Bob Dylan - Infidels
    Deep Purple - Fireball
    Heart - Dog & Butterfly
    Ian Hunter - You’re Never Alone ...

all original first press (Decca, green WB, etc)

special bonus was the final album was beautifully autographed by Hunter and Ronson

all vinyl was dirty but not scratched and cleaned up beautifully. The Tommy cover is in tact but a little rough. The other covers are all fine.

that’s all I bought today and am very happy about that.

lazydawg58, hi_watt and dvcarrick like this.
  12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm only signed up to sell at one so far this year, but wonder how fears of leaving home will affect these events as this year progresses. I'd rather sell stuff face to face, but maybe if people are going to be homebound I should stsrt to think about listing more online.

Fullbug likes this.
  13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

The standard / annual Flu will prove 5-10x as deadly as this new virus in the majority of 1st world countries.

The Mortality Numbers you hear being thrown around are worthless (and irresponsiblly diseminated) until we actually start testing in much larger numbers.

And you should never trust any info coming out of mainland China. S. Korea will likely be our best chance at reliable statistics.

Also : Did a local show today. Really well attended. Sold off a bunch of stuff and only managed to come home with2 LPs I didn't leave here with. Great day.

If you go, bring hand sanitizer / wipes and don't touch your eyes/nose/mouth until you have a good chance to wash your hands with Hot Soapy Water,

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  14. parman

parman Music Junkie

I was at one yesterday, used vinyl is pretty steep. Even sellers at the records shows are selling new vinyl

15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Attended Brisbane City Record Fair yesterday for 3 1/2 hours and found nothing.

Yes prices were a little steep but not so unusual

First time i can recall not buying since my first one in 1987!

N.b. Hilarity of the day was an enormously experienced dealer trying to sell a 7" UK Advance Demo Copy of The Beatles Hello Goodbye for $850aud!

16. lazydawg58

This is probably the same show that comes through NC in a couple of weeks, Charlotte on a Saturday and Raleigh on a Sunday. Hard to say how many of the same sellers will be there though. I've found if I'm not obsessed on cover condition I can usually get some good classic rock for $1 to $4. Do you think it is really there autograph? I've known people to sign them on a lark or just to get a reaction from their friends.

17. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Unknown as autographs almost always are unknown unless you got them yourself but they look right and for $3 it’s fun.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  18. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Steep prices because everybody knows the worth. Anything real good is on dealer online sites. By the time the general public gets in the dealers have purchased the bargains and entire tables of the people who are not real dealers who know nothing about record worth.

19. lazydawg58

You gotta talk em down! I've found getting there during the second half of the day works wonders on what they will take, especially if you are wanting to buy several records. If they haven't been selling much they want / need to put at least a little cash in their pocket for the drive home.

parman and phillyal1 like this.
  20. lazydawg58

Fortunately some sellers don't like to mess with selling online.

21. Raindear

Raindear New Member

22. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

It's like a Discogs storefront site.

Actually these days I know 2 or 3 vendors that will be at both conventions that come through here- I make a trip up to say hey, hang out and buy some stuff from them and then I'm out. I don't have the time to browse through thousands of $30 records

23. sangre

sangre Member

In my area of Northern California (Sacramento area) there are four record fairs in the year and one of them was this last weekend. Depending on what I have going on and if I have pocket money I sometimes attend. I went to this last one and it seemed to be down in the number of vendors and customers. It was a relaxed time with no long lines or waiting for folks to clear out to get to a table and the crates.

I left there with a bag full of about twenty records. A real scatter shot of quality, as a couple had issues that should have made them fodder for the dollar bin. A few that I picked up I got a real good deal on and I am happy with those. But I feel that I bought on impulse too much and came away with a few that I will listen to only once. Nothing about this experience makes me think I must go to the next one.

I have moved on to picking up my records on discogs. Being patient and waiting for something on my want list to turn up at a price I will pull the trigger on.

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Most people, including me, have been there before with record purchases so you are in good company :)

sangre likes this.
  25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I still go to them, twice a year at least. But these days I'm also a seller at the two main ones I go to. Actually I'm mostly a seller at the two local downtown ones I go to. Last few times I came away with a couple of records whereas a few years ago I'd be coming out with 20+ easy. But that's more a reflection of where I am with my want list vs the quality of the shows. Selling can be gruelling but also fun.

This year my friend and I are going back to the WFMU record fair in NYC. That's more in my wheel house when it comes to knocking things off my want list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.