Anyone in Chicagoland have a Nagaoka MP-500?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by B-Rad, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B-Rad

B-Rad Active Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a Nagaoka MP-300 mounted to a Rega 303 arm on a Sota Comet. I’ve got my cart aligned almost perfect, some records sound great and others all I hear is noise, sometimes it’s noise on the left channel. I want to test if going to a micro line stylus will make an improvement. Would anyone be willing to hang out with me to try their MP-500 stylus before I make another big investment? I love how the Nagaoka sounds but if another cart is a better match for my system I have to take that into consideration. I really wanted a Dynavector 10x5 but it was out off my budget at the time. I have about 50 hours on this cart. Also running a Lounge Audio Mk3 with silver upgrade.

I can provide craft cocktails and gourmet food, also various bourbons and fine cheeses.

Thanks
    Brad

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Did you test all your electrical connections? If the cart is basically new I would doubt that it is the problem, though anything is possible. Recurring noise in one channel sounds like something else. I would test all connections and wiring. If you don't discover a problem, get the cart inspected under a microscope and see if the diamond is mounted correctly on the cantilever. In some cases manufacturers let a bad one slip through - that can happen with any brand.

B-Rad likes this.
  3. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Dirty records?.
    I expect not.
    Have you tried another phono stage?
    Failing that ,as patient 0t says misaligned stylus.

4. B-Rad

Yes, clean records I have a Gem Dandy cleaner and use Tergiclean. I have not tried another phono stage. The noise is only on some records and in certain tracks. It’s not random. Others are perfect. There a guy named Brian Walsh who can look at my cart under a microscope, I’m going to call him. I used a Conrad Hoffman protractor custom for my table setup for Loefgren.

Ultimate Cartridge Setup - 773-809-4434

5. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I will be interested in the outcome.
    One thought .
    Is the cartridge telling the truth?
    I had an OrtofonnMC Super 30

It revealed every flaw!

sturgus and patient_ot like this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Make sure you are completely rinsing off that cleaner. The problem with pressure was system (been there) is the fluid never gets vacuumed off, so some residue always remains IME. A vac rcm works much better IME.

Definitely get the cart inspected. If it's defective because the tip was glued to the cantilever all skewed I would return it.

Re: alignment, use Stevenson if you want to optimize for inner Groove tracking.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Can you describe the noise. Is it mostly on higher frequencies and loud music or vice versa?
    Usually in tracks close to the label?

8. B-Rad

Hello all, cartridge alignment issue. I had Brian come over with his Accoustical Systems protractor. Problem solved.

Huge amazing world changing improvement!!! Can’t express my gratitude enough. Millimeters mater with vinyl. VTF and anti-skate was reduced and now getting even more soundstage and bass response. Imaging is out of this world. Full recommendation of his service.

Ultimate Cartridge Setup - 773-809-4434

JohnO, recstar24, Pythonman and 7 others like this.
  9. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Glad to hear you got it sorted. :thumbsup:

Brian Walsh, McLover and patient_ot like this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

While a bit OT, I welcome everyone's commentary on Nagaoka cartridges, especially the bottom 3 in the range. I'd like to know what they're best at, where they fall short, and general thoughts. What you like and dislike. And same applies to the higher models. Carry on!!!

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I am totally thrilled about this news. I am so happy you got your setup dialed in, and it's performing as it should perform. On matters tonearm and cartridge, setup and getting it dialed in makes huge gains, and getting the performance you paid good money for. Setup is everything, and critical!!! B-Rad, your post is McLover Approved in every aspect.

Brian Walsh likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

The 110 has a great mellow sound to it. One of the best in its price class.
    The 200 is clearer, bringing more of the distant background sounds forwards.
    This is fantastic for Jazz especially with the more precise imaging it brings but you might lose some depth on other music that tries to convey a landscape in a sense.
    It does also have a deeper bass and widened dynamics.

The biggest con for me is the lack of fine styli options. You will get some sibilance and IGD on very tough records until you get the 500.
    Also what might help that bass which the Nags are known for is their low end lean. On certain records I wish I had a brighter cart, but this all depends on the rest of your setup as well. Its not as bad as Grado anyway.

13. B-Rad

While, my point of reference is only the MP-300, as it’s my first TT, I’d say that the cart is very neutral with great bass extension, at least on my system. I’d also say that I have all the musical clearity of digitial, with a simply amazing holographic even ethereal soundstage, which was amazing even when misaligned. I run Elac B6.2s about 2.5 feet from the wall crossed over at 60hz with an SVS PC-NSD. I sit about 8 feet from the speakers and after the setup the soundstage comes all the way to and around my sofa. Sometimes I feel like it’s sounds as if I’m in the studio listening to the artist. I’m running very modest emotiva gear, the mc700 and a basx 5channel amp. Definitely midfi plus but 1000% better than streaming. I can listen for hours with zero fatigue.

Brian Walsh and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  14. Brian Walsh

Brian Walsh Forum Resident

Brad, I'm very happy that you found the basic setup worthwhile. The tools I use are expensive, probably way too much for most, but they have proven themselves.

Brian

B-Rad, pscreed, HiFi Guy and 3 others like this.
  15. cubicub

cubicub Well-Known Member

I had Brian do a standard setup on my Rega planar with a denon dL 110 cartridge yesterday. All I can say is wow. Hard to put into audiophile terms but it just sounds better. Imaging, bass all improved dramatically. I highly recommend.

B-Rad and Brian Walsh like this.
  16. Brian Walsh

Thanks, I wasn't sure how much difference it would make since the adjustments were pretty small. But I'm happy that you're happy!

17. B-Rad

Yes, his service is amazing. We’re lucky to have Brian in Chicagoland!

Pythonman and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  18. B-Rad

Brian, I picked up the Pangea DS400 stands and filled them with sand and got the spikes all the way down to the concrete past the carpet padding. Midrange, treble and wow... bass... all tightened up. Not a subtle difference compared to the studio pads on make shift stands. I could turn the subwoofer off and live with it, it’s very good turned off now. I might cross the sub at 40hz instead of 60, while leaving the speakers at 60hz. I had to turn my subwoofer volume down as there was now too much bass. Thanks again for your advise and wisdom Sir.

P.S. Also got the blue tack down on the top plates of the stands per your instructions.

Brad

Brian Walsh likes this.
  19. Brian Walsh

I travel to the customer, regardless of location.

Glad to hear the speaker stands are working well!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  20. Brian Walsh

In case anybody's interested I'll be at Holm Audio in Woodridge tomorrow doing an ultimate setup on a cartridge in the big room in the back, probably done between 1 and 2pm. Look over my shoulder if you want. Take a listen.

21. Brian Walsh

All went well today. Top of the line Audio Technica AT-ART1000 moving coil cartridge (AT-ART1000 Direct Power Stereo MC Cartridge | Audio-Technica Excellence ) on a VPI Prime Signature turntable with 10" Fat Boy arm. It will be breaking in this coming week but by next weekend should be sounding pretty sweet. This rig will be shown at AXPONA in one of Holm Audio's rooms. I plan to be present during presentations by Mat Weisfeld (president of VPI) on Friday and Saturday afternoons in the room and will be around through the whole show.

recstar24 and B-Rad like this.
  22. Brian Walsh

Because anything worth doing is worth overdoing and I love learning in my pursuits, I've added AnalogMagik (https://www.analogmagik.com/) to my tools, in addition to Feickert Adjust+ Pro (Dr.Feickert :: Adjust+ ) which I've been using ever since it came out years ago.

23. Leonthepro

I asked the several times but they refused to answer for what modulation their anti skate track is at. Even deleted my comment.
    There are some things you just should adjust based on a test track.

24. Brian Walsh

That's something you could measure if you have the software. They are under no obligation to share what they did.

25. Leonthepro

Then since you do have it, can you then tell me what modulation is in the anti skate grooves?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.