Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Ozark ?
    Got mixed reviews mostly good ( IMDb ).

asdf35 likes this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Great show. I got it from the library, only 2 DVDs, watched the 1st one already, think it was 4 episodes on that one. Very cool show. I always like time travel paradox stories but this one has some very "new" twists in it coupled with that related to the portal, the concept of "the past doesn't like to be changed" and "if you mess with the past then the past messes with you" aspect.

There are some questions I have which I hesitate to ask in case they get addressed eventually (so don't give me the answer if the show eventually explains it) but:

[Sorry but I cannot remember how to post hidden spoiler links on this forum so if anyone is thinking of watching this show just skip anything else I say in this post]

- The portal itself, OK I get it, it is in that closet & when someone walks through from our side they come out back in 1960 or whateve, but what's to prevent someone on the other side from walking into our world (maybe it just does not work that way)?

- What does the portal look like from the other side? IE: How do the 2 guys we know that go there get back? How do they find it etc?

- Who is that weird "yellow card" man? (don't answer that, I will guess it is our current hero himself, or perhaps one of the other people who've gone back or something like that???).

3. alexpop

Pleased you are liking the series.

The blurb at the top of my R2 dvd says the first season. Maybe they initially wanted to expand the story more chapters. But just cut to the chase and wrapped it up in two discs( budget constraints/whatever). Strange that one. Storyline .,like the bit where the restaurant owner tells Franco’s character he’s bringing meat back from the early sixties as it tasted better then + it’s cheap. :) Been meaning to pick up the Blu Ray to see if there’s any variations.

slipkid likes this.
  4. alexpop

And yes i watched 4 seasons 1-4 of Peaky Blinders ( excellent)apparently there’s 3 more seasons planned terminating with the 7th season, time period 1940, covering over 20 years lifespan.

Brenald79 likes this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes that was hilarious especially with Franco's reaction to that (something "that hamburger I just ate was from 1960?!?!?").

Although some of the show is dark & violent & dangerous, there is a lot of time travel based humor, I especially love it when Franco lies about something, like singing a song (I 4get which one) to his girl and she says something like "who wrote that song?" and he says "oh that was something by my friends John, George, Paul, & Ringo".

Or the reference to the "mafia" which the person he is talking to (Miss Mimi) has never heard of, and he says he is in witness protection because he saw his friend Fredo get murdered by his brother at Lake Tahoe etc etc....

alexpop likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Spartacus! BD still watching this and enjoying it more than the first time!

7. alexpop

Finally succumbed, picked up the House Of Cards dvd season 1, the price was a incentive factor, 50 cents.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    slipkid likes this.
  8. alexpop

Stephen King’s tv adaptation for some odd reason found rewatching it a second time hard going, depressing. Regarding time loops, time travel per se there’s also the tv series Timeless (2016/2018) particularly like The Alamo episode.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  9. alexpop

Just got season 5 to go with Orange Is The New Black, then all sorted.,,went blu ray with this classy prison drama.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Started watching Baywatch. It’s just been remastered in HD on Amazon Prime Video. It looks stunning for a 90s show. Very crisp. I highly recommend it.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I watched the first season of Timeless, perhaps part of the second as well, but gave up on it. It was almost like different people were behind writing it and it became too complicated & stupid for me, breaking some of its own rules etc, and that whole "intrigue" with "Rittenhouse" as it built & built just ruined the show for me.

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

I think your right. Interesting premise though

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Have you seen Tin Star on Amazon Prime? it stars Tim Roth.

dmiller458 and alexpop like this.
  14. alexpop

If it comes out on media I’ll check it out.

unclefred likes this.
  15. alexpop

Really blown away with House Of Cards didn’t think it be so good.

polchik likes this.
  16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

1st season of House Of Cards was Killa!

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Second season, Zoe....sigh.

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

You'll be doing a lot of sighing as the seasons progress!;)

19. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Excellent series.

alexpop likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Once "the rules" of the show start "battling" you in the second season, is when you know they weren't really serious about all the stuff you liked when you started. I can put up with being patient, and waiting for The Big Bad to de-cloak to tell you what the real story is about, but I'm getting sick of learning every damn scifantasy series, that "the call is coming from inside the house".

slipkid likes this.
  21. alexpop

Can’t wait for the blu ray.

22. alexpop

Next ?
    The Handmaid’s Tale

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

(I'm too lazy to look it up) - what is the scoop with that show? Genre etc?

24. alexpop

Drama, betrayal,revenge. Wrapped a political backdrop. Season one is amazing Kevin Spacey’s best work, 6 seasons.

Much preferred The Handmaid’s Tale only 2 seasons third this year.

slipkid likes this.
  25. alexpop

Early days in the 21st Century, but since 2011 when I caught the TV series bug I’d say my top 3 TV series are .,

1- Breaking Bad

2- Game Of Thrones

3- Lost