What's your favourite piece of "fictional music"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dudley Morris, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I remember watching this when I was a kid. "Glub, Glub, Glub" sticks to my memory. Is that really Richard Dreyfuss singing?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm a little confused about the criteria, but if I interpret right, all the songs from the recent "Star Is Born" should qualify, right?

If so - bingo bango, sugar in the gas tank:

3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Paranoia Ceilings, composed by Bob Dylan, John Lennon and Paul McCartney in London, 1966.

4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Hollywood's idea of psychedelic rock

5. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Glenn Campbell? Another one I wasn't aware of the credited vocals. I've always liked Twitch. In my early teens a buddy and I re-worded Twitch to match another friend's family home. I won't share those words here as it was a shot at their living arrangements.

6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

That pre-dated the movie by four years and was even a Top 10 hit in real life in late 1974.

7. ReggieNJ

ReggieNJ Forum Resident

The band was called Ming Tea, featuring Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet.

8. Oatsdad

Another from "ASIB" 2018:

9. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I am aware of that. It was attributed to a fictional artist "Alice Bowie", was part of a "fictional" skit on the album, and was a spoof song, but I don't want to start arguing semantics.

10. Oatsdad

I'd like to know where the info that Campbell sang "The Twitch" came from. I did some poking around and found semi-rumors that he did it but no actual confirmation...

11. Houston_Music_Fan

Houston_Music_Fan Forum Resident

Anything by these guys.

casey casey and Hammerpeg like this.
  12. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

The Rutles, of course.

For me, songs like "I Must Be In Love," "Ouch," "Cheese And Onions" and "Piggy In The Middle" sit alongside their source material just fine.

JumpinJimF and nedison like this.
  13. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

Never Let Me Go by Judy Bridgewater.

The track was referenced in Kazuo Ishiguro's book of the same name, but no actual song existed. When they made the film version in 2010, they needed to write, record, and design cassette art for this track, as it plays a central role in the film. I thought they did a pretty damn convincing job. I had no idea the song wasn't from the 50s/60s until long after I saw the film and read the book. More on the song's creation here.

Neil Barrett likes this.
  14. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

15. monotone

monotone I know noothing.

16. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

17. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Voiced by Howard Morris, a.k.a. Ernest T. Bass.

18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

From the movie In The Heat of The Night

"Foul Owl On The Prowl"

19. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

20. Recordingpianoman

Recordingpianoman Forum Resident

21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

The first thing that comes to mind is Victor Banana "Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron" which is the soundtrack to a storyline in the comic book "Eightball" by Daniel Clowes. It came out as the 10 issue serialized story wrapped up in 1993, and was published in full. All of the songs are about scenes or characters in the story. One of my favourite albums of all time.

GeorgeBaby likes this.
  22. Dudley Morris

Dudley Morris Resident Thread Starter

Sure - it was written by the characters in the reality of the movie, so it counts.

On a broadly related note: I wouldn't count anything by the Monkees - they straddled the fictional/reality line too much, and of course like Pinocchio they did become real...

23. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

More Rutles - "I Must Be In Love"...coulda been a hit in '64:

casey casey, BZync and dkmonroe like this.
  24. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I'd have to say Julian Cope's novel "131" takes the "Most Ambitious Use of Fictional Music" award. In preperation for (and during the writing of) the book, which featured several fictional bands, he recorded whole albums/eps as these fictional bands to serve as inspiration and to release in the real world.

The One Three One Doorway – Music from One Three One: A Time-Shifting Gnostic Hooligan Road Novel by Julian Cope

Several of these have been released in limited quantities, while others may or may not have been recorded in the first place.

[​IMG]

nedison and Dudley Morris like this.
  25. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

As something of a fan of wrestling, there have been some good themes over the years, but a track that stands out is With My Baby Tonight, which was presented as a hit by Jeff Jarrett who had a country singer gimmick at the time. In reality it was written by Jim Johnstone and sung by Jarrett's manager The Roadie (later Road Dogg).

It has always stuck in my mind as it sounds like a perfectly credible 70s country-rock song, although from the mid 90s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.