What's the Best Indiana Jones Movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Oatsdad, Feb 23, 2019.

1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Trivia: In temple of Doom, the guy pulls out the other person's heart while he's still alive. This caused an uproar as the film was rated PG. Thus, a new rating was born......PG-13

MrSka57 and Frozensoda like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

"Gremlins" also contributed to the "PG-13" - maybe another movie or 2 as well, but those 2 were the biggies that motivated the change.

Funny that Spielberg was involved with both - as well as earlier "really pushing the 'PG' envelope" films like "Jaws" and "Poltergeist".

Everyone views Spielberg as this safe, family-friendly filmmaker, but the guy pushed the edges!

supermd and Frozensoda like this.
  3. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

At eleven years old (or the age you first saw it) what did you think of Raiders compared to Temple Of Doom? Was it kinda' boring and too full of history trivia? The history part is what I liked about "National Treasure" because it gave it an air of credibility.

Temple of Doom didn't seem to have the same anchoring and grounding. Too video game like for those with short attention spans.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Encuentro likes this.
  4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Me also.

I appreciated how much a jewel the first was, so integrated; but Sean Connery is such a pleasure on screen.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

I think the first act of "Last Crusade" is... okay. Enjoyable but kinda feels like Indy on cruise control.

When Connery enters, though, he elevates the movie with him. Even in idiotic scenes like the one where he spooks the birds with his umbrella, he's a delight, and he enjoys awesome onscreen chemistry with Ford.

"Last Crusade" still would've been a good movie without Connery, but he undeniably makes it much better.

It's still not half as good as "Raiders", though! :)

Karnak and twicks like this.
  6. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Oh that's right! I forgot about that. It made me squirm a bit because it just didn't fit the childlike Saturday adventure serial motif. Why didn't Spielberg just go for '70's Wes Craven's "Last House On The Left" disembowelment scene?

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Excellently stated. I agree in every sense.

Oatsdad likes this.
  8. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Idiotic scene?
    "Let my armies be the rocks, and the trees, and the birds in the sky."

I SAY THAT QUOTE TO THIS DAY!!!

Last Crusade for the win!

9. Oatsdad

That part's fine. The part where he cavorts and gooses the geese? Not so much! :D

Encuentro likes this.
  10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I was eight when I saw Raiders. I enjoyed it but wasn’t blown away by it as I was with Temple of Doom. As with all of the Indy movies, there is a bit of history when it comes to Temple of Doom. I checked out a few books from the library after seeing it and was intrigued by the fact that the Thugee cult actually existed. In retrospect, despite my vote for Temple of Doom, I have to acknowledge that Raiders is the better film overall. My vote went to Temple of Doom based on how it made me feel in the theater in 1984.

Tim Lookingbill and Frozensoda like this.
  11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I read the novelization which depicts the scene, and a few others, a bit differently. Henry runs across the beach waving his arms. No umbrella.

In the novelization, Sallah catches Indy’s hand when he falls into the crevice, not Henry, but Henry still talks Indy into giving up the Grail.

In the leap of faith scene, Indy literally tries to leap across the chasm. Psyching himself into believing that he can actually make it, he gets a running start from the back of the tunnel, doesn’t make it, of course, but is rewarded for his literal leap of faith.

Oatsdad likes this.
  12. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Raiders is the best, but I regard Last Crusade as a close second.

supermd and MRamble like this.
  13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Raiders is great, but I have to go with the Last Crusade. Even though I know what is going to happen, the scene near the end when Indy has to take the leap of faith still gives me goosebumps.

Karnak, MRamble and Metralla like this.
  14. Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius Well-Known Member

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. With Sean Connery as his Professor Dad well, it was fantastic.

15. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Raiders easily. Last Crusade was good imo too but not as good. I didn't like Crystal Skull. Temple of Doom I saw a couple times and never watched again because the bugs give me the heebie jeebies.

16. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' was released across the US 30 years ago today.

Karnak, MRamble and evillouie like this.
  17. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I came here to say just that. In fact, I was playing the soundtrack in the car on the way to work today. It's a great John Williams score!

Doctor Worm and Binni like this.
  18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The ones with Nazis.

19. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

Raiders, always Raiders.

twicks likes this.
  20. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Raiders for the win.

Crusade is a bit of a drag outside of Connery, but incorporates that Arthur myth well to make it the 2nd best, a fraction ahead of Temple - elements of which are good.

I can't even acknowledge Skull as part of the series. Way too stupid.

Madness likes this.
  21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

This is adorable!

california_roll likes this.
  22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

If you say so...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Crystal Skull has got more votes than I thought it would...

Raiders for me, with Last Crusade next.

24. timind

timind phorum rezident

Always loved this:

MichaelH and Steve Litos like this.
  25. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

And this is why dogs are a man's best friend.

Thanks for posting.