Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland best version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Lizard King, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Australian, German ………………………… add Israel and probably others. Any that carry the 184 183.

Jam757 likes this.
  2. Kristian1980

Kristian1980 Forum Resident

3. Gordon Johnson

One born every minute. Hope they paid that amount because its described as mint.

4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The 5.1 hits the nail on the thumb if you ask me. Nearly every detail that makes the original album great has been wiped out. Cheap digital phasing, vocals and sound effects that weren't on the original and a lack of attention to detail. I strongly believe that Jimi would not have liked this 5.1 mix.

5. Gordon Johnson

I have no idea what Jimi would have made of it!

A lot of folk like this 5.1, seems they out number the disliker's [is there such a word?] if this forum is any base for that measure.

I don't think Kramer set out to mimic the 2 channel in the 5.1 but use it as a guide for a new mix, which is what we have, apparently!

While some folk don't like the 5.1 there are some who don't like the new mastering / new mastering from the pre Eq'd tapes.

Its always a personal choice.

6. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

I actually like the new expanded released last year

7. Gordon Johnson

vinyl yes, digital ………… oh no!!

8. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I don't like the mastering on the CD for the stereo mix on that set either. The 5.1 sounds like Kramer didn't use anything as a guide. It's like he took a painting by Michelangelo, took it apart, and put it back together into a Picasso. It didn't have to mimic the stereo mix. I just think he could have put a little more effort into achieving something as wonderful as the stereo mix. I love 5.1 mixes of albums I enjoy. I think if EL were done by someone else in 5.1, the results could have been stunning.

9. nerdnerd80

nerdnerd80 Member

10. nerdnerd80

nerdnerd80 Member

Is this version good or are their releases with better sound?

11. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

I have a Canadian Reprise so, close I guess. It's fine.
    Better sounding? The 2010 Legacy, the original Track and the Grundman 2018 are all VERY nice too (I have the 2010 and 2018). But...if I'd found my Reprise for free in the basement, and if in good nick, I'd be pretty chuffed!

WHOOPS, dammit...I did not realise you'd found a CD release. I'm programmed to think in vinyl.... Ignore all the above!!!

12. exile

exile Member

LitHum05 likes this.
  13. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

So if I understand correctly, all the matrices A1 / B1, A1 / B1 (whatever the different inscriptions after these numbers and the countries) come from the original UK Track mastering?

Otherwise I acquired a German Polydor pressing with the matrix A2 / B2, A2 / B2. Each matrix has copyright © 1968. Sounds great! The sound stage is really in front of you. Lots of depth. Great consistency in instrumentation ... no phase problem here! Balanced tone. No drop in volume during the introduction of "All along the watchtower". I wonder if the differences are marginal compared to mastering UK Track?

Jam757 likes this.
  14. TimWare

TimWare Well-worn Member

Yes, Jeff Gold at RecordMecca makes a strong argument for the white text version being the first pressing.

Cassius likes this.
  15. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

OMG this thread is such a mess- it was started by someone looking for the best vinyl pressing, then was hijacked by others asking about CDs, then goes back and forth between the two...SMH

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Well it doesnt have vinyl in the title.

jhm likes this.
  17. He mentioned vinyl and a CD in his first post.

18. Pali Gap

Yes I suppose that is partly to blame, then he specified vinyl in post #7. I just came here looking for vinyl recommendations, I left with a headache lol..

19. Pali Gap

Yes, so the question was asked early and answered in post #7..

20. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

I've been listening to this since the early 70's and have had at least 7 different versions. I just picked up the sterling 2010 pressing and it sounds absolutely amazing to me. Same goes for the 2010 Axis Bold as Love which may even be better. I don't know though I've spent a lot of time standing in front of the speaker stacks at concerts so....

21. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident

I've seen this question but not the answer, sorry if I missed it: Would the 2015 Sony Legacy Europe reissue be comparable to the most cited 2010 version? Apparently it states "Recorded at the Record Plant, New York
    Remastered at Sterling Sound, N.Y., ℗ 2010 Experience Hendrix L.L.C. © 2010, 2015 Experience Hendrix L.L.C. Made in the EU"

22. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Anybody know how the UK Track EL with the psychedelic cover art (split into Part 1 and Part 2 single LPs) compares with the original UK Track? Are they close? Are the single LPs better sounding than the 73 Polydor nude cover?

23. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

as far as I know they are the same stampers as the common 1st pressing. Not the initial boosted eq run. They are way better than the 73 Polydor, well my ones are to my ears. I am sure some dude will correct me if I am wrong.

Revolver likes this.
  24. Gordon Johnson

Stamper detail for these pressings included here.
    Electric Ladyland Track | JMHVINYL

Revolver likes this.
  25. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I’d forgotten about your excellent web site. Love the alternate cover outtakes.
    I know Jimi always hated it but I have always liked it. It is what it is as they say.
    Cheers

Gordon Johnson likes this.