What's your favorite "hate watch"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Fastnbulbous, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood Thread Starter

I recall watching "Dynasty" back in the early 80s with friends, not to enjoy it but to mock it. It was a wonderful bonding moment.

A co-worker a decade or so later said she and her roommates would watch "90210" for the same reason. They even had a vote at the end of the broadcast naming "Lamest Line and/or Moment." It was a competitive race every week, to hear her tell it.

Much more recently, my daughter (a fashion design major) would binge "Project Runway." She loved the show and so did I, for opposite reasons. Eventually she banned me from watching with her.

Most shows are neither so good nor so bad that they reward the investment of time. It takes really terrible show, such as the aforementioned, to provide the sustained hilarity I'm looking for. "Manifest" and "The Enemy Within" are promising recent entries in the field, but aside from absurd premise and inane execution, they aren't quite terrible enough to sustain extended mockery.

I've read that some people hate-watch those mawkish Hallmark Channel movies. Having sampled a few of them, I completely understand the appeal there. Can anyone recommend other shows to "hate watch"?

eric777 and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  2. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Back in the early to mid eighties I worked nights and our shift would end about an hour before buses started running. We would kill the hour by watching the PTL Club and joke about what a farce the whole thing was. Watching the show became a regular thing early on and we saw the rise and fall of Jim Bakker's "empire" in real time.

...and the most pathetic part of it was Jim Bakker begging for donations about every five minutes.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    McLover, Manimal, babyblue and 4 others like this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We watched Reverend Ike for laughs. We thought his endless preaching about how great money was over the top. Always good for a few laughs.

4. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Back in the 70s and 80s there was this ridiculous evangelist, Ernest Angley. My group of friends would occasionally watch and ridicule the goings-on.

I knew guys who watched General Hospital back in the 80s just to mock it, but I never could sit through it even in jest.

pig bodine, Fastnbulbous and MrSka57 like this.
  5. Lonecat

Lonecat King Of Fools

My girlfriend and I do this occasionally with The Voice.

6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Bar Rescue

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Food Network Star

8. Fastnbulbous

Wow, there's a blast from the past. You bet, EA was hate-watchable.

My gf was a huge fan so I was subjected to it right around the Luke&Laura thing. It was bad, but not quite bad enough to hate.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  9. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

My ex 'turned me on' to it when we were dating. She thought it was one of the funniest shows she'd ever seen.
    In return, I introduced her to Earl Weaver fighting with umpires.

arley and Spaghettiows like this.
  10. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I haven't seen him, but Jack and Mrs. Van Impe were always a hoot. I see that they are still on, on YT now.

11. My wife greatly enjoys the Hallmark movies and my daughter has taken to the mysteries.
    I, on the other hand, can not take these without making comments and jibes in a Mystery Science Theater 3000 style.
    Because of this I must leave the room when they are watching...I just can not take those shows.

I will give a show three tries minimum. This seems fair to me. After that I decide to give it my time, or forget it. On rare occasions I am talked into watching again due to the show "getting better" as told to me by friends...and occasionally this is true and I end up watching.
    For the most part though if i don't like a show I don't give it any time, even to bash it for fun.

Now a bad movie...well that is a different story.

Tuco likes this.
  12. Fastnbulbous

Thinking back, Howard Cosell had a dedicated hate-watch following. My college roommate wasn't even a big pro football fan, but he never missed MNF. Howard's bloviations really set him off, and while I didn't think Cosell was that bad, it was tremendous fun to watch the reactions.

Tuco likes this.
  13. Fastnbulbous

The MST3K approach is the only way to endure some of that dross. Unfortunately it doesn't go over too well with those who like the shows. :shrug:

Movies are fair game as far as I'm concerned, but how many times can you watch a bad movie. A bad TV series provides sustained hilarity week after week!

jbmcb likes this.
  14. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

I used to love watching the Trinity Broadcasting Network, a glorious and unabashed denial of everything reasonable in the world. The founders - the late Paul and Jan Crouch, both now serving in the Home Office - sermoned God's gilded word unto us adorned in the most bizarre fashions, from his monogrammed jackets and psudo-Versace shirts to her truly jaw-dropping mountain of pink cotton-candy hair. Comic gold, I tell ya...

My all time favorite TBN program however, was their Creation "science" show, in which the host attempted nightly to convince me dinosaurs didn't eat each other ("All those caveman movies lied to me!") and took nourishment from the rays of our sun, that those same dinosaurs were included on Noah's Ark, and via a scale model built by a follower, the Ark possessed a sophisticated system of removing the massive amounts of animal waste it would have been buried under. You know, the Number 2's produced by all the animals that arrived in 2's...

It's been some time since I've watched the TBN - but the next time I find myself thinking "No one makes good comedies anymore" I'll tune in...

15. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

The Christmas Hallmark movies are particularly great hate-watch entertainment :laugh:. Most are basically the same plot regurgitated 24 hours a day. I'm guessing in another 10 years, there will be strictly a channel for Hallmark Christmas movies.

Vinny123 and seed_drill like this.
  16. Fastnbulbous

I have good news: you can now stream the Hallmark Movie Channel 24/7 for $15/mo!

Watch Hallmark Channel Online: Stream Hallmark Channel Without Cable

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. Timeless Classics

18. I hear ya and I completely understand.
    I think my feeble mind "rates" the bad against its original intention and format.

Use a bad car as an example.
    If you purchase a used pile of crap...I'll pick on Yugo because that is an easy target. You expect a pile of crap. A Yugo was a so-so car right of the showroom floor. Now that it has 75,000 miles on it, and the fact you paid $547 for it, you just expect it to give trouble and not be very nice. Your expectations are set pretty low.
    When it starts to rain and nothing leaks you are happy. When the wipers work the first time you hit the switch you are happy. When you get to work, and back home again, for two months straight without one single issue you are happy.

Now apply that same mentality to the brand new $100,000 Mercedes you have owned for two weeks. The automatic rain sensing wipers seemed a bit delayed today...better get the dealer to look at that because you are not happy with it. The automatic climate controls are not keeping you as comfortable as you would like...better look into that because you are not happy. The built in garage door opener that senses your proximity seems a bit sluggish because you had to wait ten seconds for the door to begin opening...gotta make a dealer repair appointment for that, not happy.
    Everything worked on this high end car, but not to your expectations and thus, you are not happy with the outcome.

Same thing with a Movie VS a TV show. Movies are supposed to be better than TV shows (not the real case anymore but still my mindset is there)
    A crappy TV show seems a waste of my time and therefore I am generally not willing to invest at all.
    A crappy movie, at the least, gets my attention to the bitter end. Afterwards I may choose to trash it, or fun bash it based entirely on the factors surrounding the movie.

Weird? maybe. Stupid? probably. The same end result regardless of applied to a movie or TV show....yeah, it is.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  19. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Speaking of TV preachers, back in grad school circa 1979-80 me and my buds would get loaded and watch Dr. Gene Scott go on tirades, mostly against his followers for not donating enough money. But we actually didn't hate him, it was just for laughs.

Tuco, Gordon Crisp, DLD and 3 others like this.
  20. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

Everybody Loves Raymond

21. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Unfortunately, for the past few seasons The Walking Dead has become that show.

ubiknik, Meatface, mr. steak and 2 others like this.
  22. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

Pick any 'News' show.

unclefred and Michael like this.
  23. Fastnbulbous

This calls to mind a recent Hallmark moment. I've been spending time with my mother, who's almost 95 and wheelchair bound. As a result, an in-home nurse stays with us to attend to her various needs. One weekend I came in during Hallmark movie, about a prince from some generic European kingdom and a girl from New York who runs a flower shop or something. They meet, fall in love, and swear they'll be wed. But there's a problem! The queen of this kingdom disapproves of the union of the king-to-be and this lowly flower girl. I'm ragging on the thing relentlessly while the carer, Charlotte, chuckles quietly. "Watch, here's where the queen gives her blessing!" I say. "Unn hnn," Charlotte says, shaking her head. "No way he lets the love of his life go back to New York!" "Unn hnn." After a while I'm getting really into the absurdity of it all, and deeply impressed that Charlotte can accurately predict the plot twists.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say the two finally do get back together, with the queen (whose love for her son overcomes her doubts about the flower girl) looking on approvingly. "How did you know?" I ask Charlotte as the credits roll. "I've seen this movie five times."

24. Timeless Classics

They made that plot into a Hallmark Christmas movie - i watched it this year... Don't remember the name of it but it was with Danica McKeller (Winnie Cooper from the Wonder Years fame).

25. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Jack and Rexella Van Impe.

McLover and Old Rusty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.