Russian Doll on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hybrid_77, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

No comparisons to “Run Lola Run”? Or did I miss mention of it?

2. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

I enjoyed it! Usually watched at least two episodes per day.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

"Others" enjoy all sorts if things and we've come to a point where so few give any thought to new info or a different perspective that my answer won't be worth the time to type it out.

It's a shame what's happening to our attention spans, separately.

4. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I just watched the first two episodes.
    Weird, funny, crazy..
    I’m in !!

George P likes this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'd describe The Good Place as “light and engaging”. Russian Doll is pretty dark, especially episode 7, and I think that the ability to turn from comedy to high drama is one of the things that impresses me about it. It’s also got more philosophy in it than is first apparent, though that's not something we can get into without spoilers.

It really isn't. The story moves on a lot during the eight episodes and, if anything, they cover too much ground, ending up with a series closer that would seem to make it quite difficult to write season two.

I loved Russian Doll. The dialogue & acting are spot on and while Groundhog Day is one of my top five films of all time I really think that this team did something different and distinctly worthwhile with a similar premise.

Dan C and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  6. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Just finished it up last night with my wife. We like it. I actually like that it’s half-hour episodes, too.

daglesj and George P like this.
  7. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

enjoying her many lives...the decadence is interesting...

[​IMG]

8. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

"Do you have any cottage cheese?"
    "Who eats cottage cheese?"

George P likes this.
  9. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I liked this a lot. I’m no Einstein by any stretch of the imagination, but it did cause me to think a little bit.

10. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

[​IMG]

Anyone spot Bozz from Home Alone?

11. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Great series. Thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a full stop though. No need for anymore episodes unless they focus on two other people in the same situation.

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Finally finished it. Didn't really get into it until about the 3rd or 4th episode then I ended up really liking it.

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

No, I'd say it's nothing like RLR. That's more a 'Sliding Door' or 'Blind Chance' kind of thing, where there's a comparison of how different events would turn out with just a small change at a significant point. Nothing like that happens here. Without giving away the last few minutes of the final episode, it's possible that they might take that route for season 2, though. It's certainly a open-ended possibility for the future.

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I used to love it when DVD season sets of 'Buffy' would come out and I'd get the chance to rush home with the discs (after waiting outside for the store to open) and watch an 18-hour marathon without a break (well, except for changing discs and enduring the non-skippable menu screen and FBI warnings.) I loved binge watching long before streaming became a thing.

wolfram likes this.
  15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yeah, the Buffy and Angel DVD boxes kept me up many nights until dawn. My first experience with excessive binge watching.

Solaris and 93curr like this.
  16. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I have one more episode to go. Really like it. It took a couple episodes. By #3 I was hooked.

The chick is fantastic! Love her!

What's with the fruit?

George P likes this.
  17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Same as the fish and the cat and the people disappearing. There's a time limit here; she's on the clock. She can't keep going on forever; she has to solve the problem fast before everything decays and she has nothing left with which to work. (Also, every time she resets it creates a new timeline and the people left behind (dead or alive) still have to deal with their reality. There may be a limited number of timelines she can create.)

andy749 likes this.
  18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

You've seen 'But I'm A Cheerleader' and 'Orange Is The New Black', no? If not, you should.

andy749 likes this.
  19. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Also “Slums Of Beverly Hills”

vince, Solaris and 93curr like this.
  20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

And 'Antibirth'!

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Great reviews for this show, but I gave up after the second episode. Really horrible characters and if there are any laughs, I missed them. I hate shows like this that make me feel like I’m missing something.:)

MikeInFla likes this.
  22. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Know what you're saying Bob, but I think if you'd have preserved with this you'd have thought it rewarding in the long run (until the ending, which was plainly rubbish).

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I think she's in "Party Monster", too!
    Sexy MF-er, she is!

24. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I just hated everything about it. One of those shows where you know from a few minutes in it’s not for you.

25. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

The one thing that seemed contrived to me (within the rules of the show, so already when the viewer has turned Suspension Of Disbelief ON) is that
    after every paired death, N & A are reunited in the same timeline and know each other, but in the final act, they're split into different timelines where they don't (Prime Alan hasn't met Looping Nadia, and vice versa)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.