Apollo 11

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by englishbob, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Huge space buff here.
    Saw it in Atlanta on an Imax 2 screen. The pre-launch footage of the three suiting up was incredibly clear. There's some of it on youtube, but whether it's the source or the fact it's on this large screen, the shots of Armstrong's sober face was stunning. Cold, and unemotional? Perhaps, but you could tell the man had serious thoughts going through his mind.
    A few minor points: the music was properly dramatic but often prevented voices to be clearly heard. The meaning of the 1201 and 1202 alarms, while shown as blinking red, was likely not understood by those not familiar with the events. Similarly, the real possibility of the ascent engine not working and having Armstrong and Aldrin remain on the moon was not even mentioned. The movie has no current-day narrator, but I remember that Cronkite and others (which are used in the beginning) did consider this in their on-air remarks. All in all, however, a welcome film. Saw it with my adult daughter, and she loved it and has told her friends to catch it.

2. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Great book! In my opinion, that one joins Carrying the Fire by Collins among the very best of the 'astro' bios.

Chris DeVoe and longdist01 like this.
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I know of a few people who saw the IMAX screening who had problems with music overwhelming the dialogue who pointed out, still they were very much thrilled with visual quality of Apollo 11, just stunning!

RubenH likes this.
  4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I saw this excellent movie on an IMAX screen with my son last night. It was his third viewing and my first. I can't recommend seeing it enough. The fact that they had this video and waited until the 50th anniversary is amazing. The video clarity is stunning.

The editor of this should get an Academy award imo. It was interesting that they had Walter Cronkite's audio over the parts at the beginning and end helped set up everything. I was happy that they limited the Cronkite audio/video to a minimum. The story told itself. And, no doubt that amazing footage all the way through made it a must see for anyone interested in the space program, or just the moon missions in general.

My son was telling me about the video of regular people in the doc. Then he remembered that I turned 12 that summer. I knew exactly where I was during that week and on the day of the landing and moonwalks. I told him how the video of people in the 20s and 30s had people looking strange with their fast walking, etc. I reminded him that it was a world without computers as we know them today.

I hope everyone who wants to see this documentary can get to a theater to see it. One question I have for anyone who saw it or who knows about it. What was the song that played as they were on their way back? It sounded something like Country Joe, but I'd never heard the song before. They made it look like Michael Collins was throwing a tape recorder (flipping over) to Armstrong or Aldrin. It's an incredible documentary that I'd love to see again. It's one of those you can watch over and over without losing interest.

EVOLVIST, Blastproof, Crungy and 5 others like this.
  5. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

The song is "Mother Country" by singer-songwriter John Stewart from the album California Bloodlines.

Chip TRG, longdist01 and rburly like this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

longdist01 and rburly like this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I'm watching the 1998 HBO series From the earth to the moon for the first time. It's very good. To bad that it's not available in 1080p. My DVD is also cropped/re-edited from 1:33 to 1:78.

What else is there that should not be missed about the Gemini/Mercury/Apollo missions? I have For all mankind 1989.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    longdist01 likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

William Safire had written a speech for Nixon if the astronauts were stuck on the moon, which was a real possibility. Remember, the engine in the ascent stage of the LEM had never been tested. Armstrong estimated the odds of returning no better than 50/50.

Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace. These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice. These two men are laying down their lives in mankind's most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding. They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown. In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man. In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood. Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts. For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind.

https://www.archives.gov/files/pres...tennials/nixon/images/exhibit/rn100-6-1-2.pdf

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

There are a bunch of Spacecraft films releases on DVD and later a few made it to Blu-Ray. Most are OOP now [$$] used market.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009Y3V...2-4536-11e9-969f-a1ee2b4b46aa∣=A2P7CBC0TE4TD2

I sure hope HBO will upgrade to HD for Blu-Ray eventually "From The Earth To The Moon"

budwhite likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm all in! I love movies and documentaries about space flight.

I was six years old during Apollo 11, and I watched the landing at my friends' house.

And, while not about Apollo 11, I recommend the movie "Hidden Figures".

11. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Thanks. That is slightly chilling. I had heard of it of course but never read it.

12. Chris DeVoe

I would be happy if the least put them up in HD on HBO NOW.

longdist01 likes this.
  13. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Saw this on a standard screen, only Captain Marvel on the IMAX where I live. I was in awe most of the film. My father who passed away 15 years ago was a massive space buff and one of my earliest memories was the moon landing with all our neighbours huddled around the TV. Sitting in the theatre during the pre-launch sequence my heart was in my throat, chills down my spine, I felt my dad next to me and I was almost in tears. The landing of the Eagle at Tranquility base was equally exciting. As a non-American seeing the Stars and Stripes "wave" on the moon was a very triumphant feeling for me. I don't know why I felt that but I guess seeing the spirit and determination of the astronauts and the thousands of support people to achieve this goal made me very thankful and proud. So bravo to the filmmakers who put this together, a great accomplishment.

14. budwhite

Don't count on it. It was shot on 35mm but the effects are in 480p. They have to redo it in the same way as Star Trek TNG. It's not cheap and it takes time. But it's only 12 episodes compared to TNG 160 plus

longdist01 likes this.
  15. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Wait 'til you're on the other side of 60. If I'm still around, PM me.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The cigarettes really date it. :D It's the first thing I noticed.

longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

A short piece of audio with Safire The Moon Landing: An Undelivered Nixon Speech

It is a chilling piece of writing and still chokes me up reading it to this day.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

First comedian on the moon.......

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Thing that really struck me was there was apparently only one woman in the entire mission control room.

According to this article in Vanity Fair there wasn't even a women's restroom in the building.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  20. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I never knew that the LEM engine was never tested until now. WOW!

Why would they not test the engine? I thought they tested everything, over and over again?

That is something the really stands out in older movies and news footage, because you don't see it so much any more.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. budwhite

Blu-ray release in May according to thedigitalbits

23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Precisely.

If it was a scene from the 2010s, everyone would be holding a mobile phone, and half of them would be using it to take a picture. That's probably the thing that will really "date" movies and news footage from the present time, when people in the 2060s pull the films out of the archives. Pictures of people taking pictures of people taking pictures.

24. Chris DeVoe

They tested it as much as they could here on Earth, but it had never been tested in the environment where it would be used - on the Moon. They couldn't build a vacuum chamber large enough to test fire that engine.

longdist01, SandAndGlass and budwhite like this.
  25. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Solid. I am going to time this to the liftoff's precise anniversary. I am probably going to create a wormhole by doing this, so be ready!

longdist01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.