Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I was expecting more overlap with popular MMJ titles. I will try a few out. Its not like I have been spending money on originals.

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Checking out some of the titles I don’t have and aren’t familiar with. So far I’m definitely in for Dexter ‘Doin’ allright’. Herbie ‘takin offf’ is pretty good and will likely get it since it has Dexter and Freddie and the price hopefully will drop under $20. I’ll check out later today Jutta Hipp with Zoot simms. I’d never heard of her and reading the wiki on her and the album sound really interesting.

scotti and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  3. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

The Blue Note 80 vinyl reissue series has just been announced: PRESENTING THE BLUE NOTE 80 VINYL REISSUE SERIES | News
    it "is curated by Don Was and Cem Kurosman features mid-priced 180g vinyl releases in standard packaging". It would be good to know more about the process - is it digitally sourced or AAA, who is doing the mastering and cutting, where is it pressed etc. This information is not included in the press release, the price for the first 3 releases is 25 USD.
    Please post any updates below.

4. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I don't care if they were sourced from digital or not, as long as the mastering suits the music. However, I do care about the packaging. If they come in those cheap, flimsy sleeves they already used for the 75th anniversary series, I'm out. No way I'm gonna pay ~€30 for this kind of presentation. (and I'm sure they will cost that much in Europe).

rxcory, nosliw and Lucca90 like this.
  5. database1987

database1987 New Member

My copy of Blacks and Blues has seen better days, so might be worth checking that out.
    I'm in - let's see if lessons were learned.

Carter DeVries likes this.
  6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Excited for this one, it's never been released on vinyl!

Definitely a title from my "grail list", i never thought it would ever be released on vinyl, considering it was from 2005,
    a little too early for the vinyl resurrection, too recent for nostalgia.

It also runs over 65 minutes, so it needs two LP's. Hope it's pressed somewhere good.

7. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

For those wanting more details, this screenshot was posted over in the Jazz Vinyl Lovers fb group yesterday:

[​IMG]

Twinsfan007, Admerr, nosliw and 8 others like this.
  8. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Well that's good news on Optimal - an improvement on using United for the 75th. If they are Mastering from original tapes - that's going to be happening stateside. Not completely unheard of for USA AAA mastered metalwork to be sent to Europe for pressing. The Dylan Monos and some Experience Hendrix reisues spring to mind. Fingers crossed. But more likely they get B Grundman et al to master to hi res file and send that to optimal for cutting.

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. p.analogowy

The first three titles to be released on May 10 are:

10. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I see they're doing Grant Green's Alive!. That's exciting, hopefully they'll do it justice.

danomar and p.analogowy like this.
  11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I doubt if these are AAA but I would be pleasantly surprised if they are .....

12. p.analogowy

Indeed. There are also a few titles in this series that might have been recorded only digitally. At least for these the only variables involved are mastering and pressing quality. I would really like to know more about the John Scofield album.

13. p.analogowy

OK, I scanned the Blue Note FB page and found an official reply to someone asking about the details:

"Blue Note Records Hi Thomas, whenever an analog source is available we're using the analog master (i.e. Herbie Hancock "Takin' Off" & Dexter Gordon "Doin' Allright" from the 1st batch), but some newer titles are from a digital master (i.e. Robert Glasper "Canvas"). Vinyl is being pressed at Optimal in Germany."

I am a bit hesitant about the analog source statement, as it is not clear how the whole production chain looks like... is it possible that they're correcting the mistakes made with the BN75 series?

Tommyboy and Lucca90 like this.
  14. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I'd say that they may use an analogue master, but the mastering chain won't be completely analogue. I'll wait for some initial reviews and probably jump on Gordon and Hancock. Hell, I might even be the guinea pig myself.

dminches and p.analogowy like this.
  15. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I expect that these are all cut from digital high resolution files, if not, these would be part of the Tone Poet re-issue series.

rxcory and crispi like this.
  16. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

Very doubtful that they’ll be AAA as well, but it’s a good opportunity to get the Robert Glasper title

17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Complete list from the link above:

Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series:

May 10 – Blue Note Debuts, Part 1

June 14 – Blue Note Debuts, Part 2

• Johnny Griffin – Introducing Johnny Griffin (1956)
    • Freddie Hubbard – Open Sesame (1960)
    • Grant Green – Grant’s First Stand (1961)
    July 12 – Blue Grooves, Part 1

• Lonnie Smith – Think! (1968)
    • Reuben Wilson – Blue Mode (1969)
    • Bobbi Humphrey – Blacks And Blues (1973)
    August 9 – Blue Grooves, Part 2

• Lou Donaldson Alligator Bogaloo (1967)
    • Donald Byrd Ethiopian Knights (1971)
    • John Scofield Hand Jive (1993)
    September 13 – Great Reid Miles Covers, Part 1

• Freddie Hubbard – Hub-Tones (1962)
    • Kenny Dorham – Una Mas (1963)
    • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Indestructible (1964)
    October 11 – Great Reid Miles Covers, Part 2

• Jutta Hipp – Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims (1956)
    • Herbie Hancock – Inventions & Dimensions (1963)
    • Joe Henderson – In ‘n Out (1964)
    November 8 – Blue Note Live, Part 1

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World (1960)
    • Horace Silver Doin’ The Thing (1961)
    • Grant Green Alive! (1970)
    December 13 – Blue Note Live, Part 2

• Jimmy Smith – Groovin’ At Smalls’ Paradise (1957)
    • Lonnie Smith – Live at Club Mozambique (1970)
    • Lee Konitz – Alone Together (1996)
    January 10, 2020 – Drummer Leaders, Part 1

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Buhaina’s Delight (1961)
    • Pete La Roca – Basra (1965)
    • Tony Williams – Foreign Intrigue (1985)
    February 14, 2020 – Drummer Leaders, Part 2

• Art Taylor – A.T.’s Delight (1960)
    • Elvin Jones – Mr. Jones (1972)
    • Brian Blade – Brian Blade Fellowship (1997)
    March 13, 2020 – Great Reid Miles Covers, Part 3

• Jackie McLean – A Fickle Sonance (1961)
    • Dexter Gordon – A Swingin’ Affair (1962)
    • Lee Morgan – The Rumproller (1965)
    April 10, 2020 – Great Reid Miles Covers, Part 4

• Andrew Hill – Smokestack (1963)
    • Kenny Dorham – Trompeta Toccata (1964)
    • Larry Young – Into Somethin’ (1964)

Some of the usual suspects, but also some lesser known/heard gems like that Tony Williams Foreign Intrigue & a good selection of live sets.

mpayan and p.analogowy like this.
  18. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I think I'll wait to read some reviews of these and determine if they're worth picking up. There's a few on here that would be nice to grab if the price is right and the SQ is acceptable.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

20. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Outstanding lineups on that Jackie McLean Fickle Sonance & Elvin's Mr Jones titles. I'm not familiar with those so will be checking them out.

21. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

It would be nice if this included the extra track found on the Music Matters 45.

22. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Keep in mind that the Tone Poet series isn't touching anything previously done by MMJ, AP or Classic, so the Dexter Gordon and Herbie Hancock titles would be off-limits. So there could still be some AAA titles in the BN80 series.

However, like others, I'll be waiting for details on where they were cut and by whom before making any assumptions. Hopefully, someone will be able to get clarification on what "mastered from analog source" means here.

p.analogowy likes this.
  23. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

There were a lot of hopefuls for a MMJ reissue of Basra... guess that’s less likely to happen now.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Not necessarily. The 75th Anniversary BN series had plenty of overlap with MM reissues. And on the MM site, Basra is listed as Out Of Stock, which means MM still has more authority to press more of that title. And would you be surprised if they came out with an SRX 33 pressing of it?

25. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

That depends on the license that MMJ has. Weren't MMJ producing some of the same titles as the 75th edition, when that was going on?