Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

I have the MM Basra.

The album is a must-have if you are a Joe Henderson fan.

Lazy Afternoon is sublime.

2. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Excited for what's to come, hopefully they succeed with better pressings and better mastering. Optimal can be hit or miss, usually the former. Would be interesting if we could figure out which 75th titles were cut analog and which digital. In my experience they were decent starter copies but the 80's DMM counterparts were clearly better.

Tommyboy likes this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

4. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

CDs, mp3s, and hi-res digital also play in analog.

5. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Would love to know which it is. I will wait and see.

6. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

I think I'll try the Herbie Hancock as well to see how it sound, although I don't have any version of Takin' Off yet to compare it to. Also definitely in for Canvas (first time on vinyl it seems) and Hand Jive.

dastinger likes this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Kudos to Don Was for possibly using analog sources when possible and having the LPs pressed at Optimal. I’d gladly pay $25 for a few of these titles, even if some are digital.

At least he’s not using United. Hopefully, plants like United who continue to suck and do nothing about it will lose business.

DeRosa and Lucca90 like this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I wonder if they’ll use the in-house engineer at Capitol? I’m not thrilled with his work.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Agreed about Optimal, but they’re better than United.

10. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Yep, but records are more fun.

elvismcdouglas likes this.
  11. Budgetphile

Budgetphile Forum Resident

I’m so happy about Basra!!!!!!! Also there are some great titles here. I’ll take Optimal o we United any day. I’ve got big hopes for these. I stopped buying BN75s after getting burned a few too many times. However, I have recently received a few more as gifts and thought they were not bad. We shall see.

12. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

Looking forward to these. Most of these are titles I haven’t heard and the price point is right for my budget.

13. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Looks like Blue Note are going to get some of my money this year between these and the Tone Poet series.

14. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

We should wait to see what info about mastering comes out, but the 80th series is lower in price from the Tone Poet series
    by being pressed at Optimal in a standard single pocket jacket, where the Tone Poet series are RTI pressings in a deluxe gatefold Stoughton Tip On jacket.

15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Nice to have an Andrew Hill title from both the 80 ' th series and Tone Poet series :)

dman23 and mpayan like this.
  16. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

Is it clear that 80th anniv LPs will be AAA mastered in case the analog tapes are available ? That would be very very interesting.

17. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Streaming it right now, never heard of him...very nice album!

DeRosa likes this.
  18. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

It is not abundantly clear, but the safest assumption would be that they will be hi-res transfers.

Do I want all-analog? Yes. Will I be happy with the BN 80th releases if they are hi-res transfers? Most likely, yes.

Plinko and magnet like this.
  19. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I know, but one correction - not all Tone Poet releases are gatefold :)

20. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

75th were hi-res tranfers? If yes, we have now 80th being the 75th using better vinyl and better pressing from Optimal Germany ... just that, right?

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It appears that way

magnet likes this.
  22. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Any updates on who mastered these?

23. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

Kevin Gray.

24. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

25. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Interesting to know that Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio is involved in the 80th Anniversary reissues. But I'm still wondering if they still use the high-resolution digital files, sourced from the original analog tapes. Though to be quite fair, Gray's cut for Vangelis' Blade Runner from 24-bit 88KHz audio files do sound absolutely sublime.

I honestly thought they'd reuse the metal parts for the 75th Anniversary pressings with the Bernie Grundman/Ian Sefchick cuts.