Jordan Peele's sophomore directorial effort "Us"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agaraffa, Dec 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member Thread Starter

Assuming you've seen the trailer, I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on this. I thought "Get Out" was brilliant, but based on the trailer anyway I think this might be a letdown. Being that his first film was so nuanced, it's probably not wise to jump to any conclusions based on a three minute video though. Very much looking forward to seeing it.

2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

If the reviews are good, I’m in. But, yeah, this trailer doesn’t excite me like the Get Out one did. (I started a thread about it here after seeing the trailer. :D)

3. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Peele has said he wanted this to film to be more solidly in the horror genre, but I suspect it will still have enough of his unique stamp to make it stand apart from the typical Hollywood horror flick.

Tim S and CBC like this.
  4. Dealing with your own demons?
    Being consumed by your own insecurities?
    If done well it could be very good.

5. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Consider me stoked!

6. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Just the way it completely shifts from hokey to horror makes me want to see this. Also I saw some interview with Peele and he know knows horror.

CBC likes this.
  7. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member Thread Starter

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. Monosterio

Similarly to Get Out, Us has a 100% Rotten Tomatoes score after 41 reviews...

Us (2019)

9. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

I'll wait for this to make its way to streaming - I thought Get Out was an outrageously overrated collection of sci-fi horror cliches and predictable plotting ("What? The girlfriend's in on it? Who saw that coming?"). I'm not expecting much different from Us, either.

10. Monosterio

A couple of things I’ve read about it:

(1) Lupita Nyong’o reportedly gives a performance that’s the equal of Toni Collette’s in Hereditary.

(2) Peele’s point/message is not as clear here as in Get Out. As one critic puts it, Us “never quite gets around to saying the things it’s trying to say.”

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The commercials on TV creep me out every time I see them. I might actually leave the house to see this in a theater.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Never understood this. Not every film needs to have a message or a point. I, for one, am quite tired of those.

13. Monosterio

I’m with you... :righton:

14. Looking forward to this one.

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Or maybe Peele isn't actually trying to say here what some assume he is.

NaturalD likes this.
  16. Monosterio

Peele has stated that the film is about the U.S.—which at least in part explains the title. And he’s talked about people in this country pointing a fingers at others when they themselves might be the problem.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

looking forward to seeing this tonight with my son. We both really enjoyed Get Out.

18. Monosterio

Going on Sunday for a Us/Gloria Bell double feature. My first two movies of 2019... :righton:

19. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

He earned a ton of admiration and goodwill from me for Get Out - no question I will see this.

20. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I saw it tonight. I was excited going in & disappointed coming out. The first half was ok but the second half wasn't. The main comment I heard coming out was, that was stupid. I think there is going to be a huge critic/audience difference of opinion on this one.

21. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Whenever this happens, especially in horror, I always agree with the critics. I remain undeterred.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  22. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Just made it home from my showing.

Jordan Peele definitely has his own style of filmmaking and it shines here.

Without any spoilers, Acting was superb (Lupita is so good she should be a contender for best actress). Well shot, well directed. Plot was extremely interesting and the scares were fantastic. The blend of comedy into a lot of the scenes as well was impressive. Lots of commentary and symbolism that I didn't necessarily understand right away, however.

Overall, an amazing job by Peele.

23. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

That was my opinion as well. I will say it's an extremely well made movie. Just one that I didn't love and was confused by several things.

Tim S and Scotian like this.
  24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

So what is the meaning of the rabbits?

25. Monosterio

That’s probably one of the million unclear things in the film’s second half... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.