Small room: 3 budget options

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phasecorrect, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey folks, the choices are ;

Paradim Mini monitor, V2, with stands

Paradigm Atom V5

Pioneer A. Jones bookshelf (New @ BB)

Any clear cut winner in this group?

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I previously had the Paradigm Mini-monitor in a small room....they need space around them. Otherwise, the bass can be boomy.

I'd recommend an alternative....NHT SuperOnes V.2.1 About $200/pair on Amazon (as of last night)

3. Phasecorrect

The plot thickens: Celestion Ditton 100s. Any thoughts?

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I'm normally not keen on old stuff but if we're talking Celestion, I still LOVE my old 100s which my dad has now (not Ditton 100, just 100). Their response is super flat AND super matched.
    Celestion 100 Speakers for Sale in Millbrae, CA - OfferUp
    $230 shipped but the tweeter maybe looks dinged. There was also a model 300 transmission line, lovely sounding. Now speaking of Andrew Jones, those ELAC budget models have really good sound for the money. Newer designs than those Pioneers-ELAC lured him away.

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Do you mind if I ask what sub pairs with these? Thanks.

Also, I had Paradigm Atoms, and they are too big and boxy for a typical computer desktop setup.

6. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Hi! Not soundboy, but have been a fellow NHT fan/user over the years. Might you be thinking of SuperZeroes (2.1) if you're thinking smaller than a Atom? They should work great on a desktop situation. They "disappear" as a sound source like few others. NHT has the SS 10, a small 10" er, but it's $500.

I really think the RSL Speedwoofer 10S seems like a great deal at $400. The el cheapo $99 Dayton Sub 800 also seems to make a lot of people happy.

An older Absolute Zero or SB1 would make nice desktop speakers, too. They're a little bigger with 5.25" drivers and don't disappear like the SZ, but would have more beef to the sound.

A sub is more optional with the Super One, or course. The Zeroes definitely have their limitations, but they truly are a lot of fun. And at $117 a pair, almost free.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    wavethatflag likes this.
  7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

All great recommendations.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Actives would be worth considering too, different approach but many advantages to going down this route.

9. Phasecorrect

Sony core bookshelf : verdict?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.