SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Not to beat the Who's Next saga to death but what mastering was used for the HR download?

2. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Played, not layer

3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It's not WB. It's WMG these days.

4. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I do recall an interview forever ago where Ringo said that he was using calf heads that he really liked on Abbey Road and really took to laying into the toms.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  5. azideam

azideam Forum Resident

Steve, besides your Faces - A Nod Is as Good as a Wink for AF, what CD versions do you recommend for the other albums?

6. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Hi Steve, :)
    Do you know what the source of the phasing problem is on the vocals and cymbals of Albert Hammond's "It Never Rains in Southern California"?
    I mean, I'm wondering if it's on the multi that way, or is it an azimuth/transfer thing. I've purchased multiple copies of that song over the years looking for one that doesn't have this problem, and it doesn't seem to exist.

7. dav-here

dav-here Forum Resident

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

phillyal1 likes this.
  8. dav-here

dav-here Forum Resident

Same here. So glad Jim Ladd is still around, doing his thang! #LordHaveMercy ✌❤️

g.z. likes this.
  9. dav-here

dav-here Forum Resident

I still have a stack of unused KMET bumper stickers in a drawer here. Also have my original black KMET cap, with my beloved “KMET Immoral Minority ‘Aww, shut-up!’” button still attached from when I first got it.
    GAWD, I miss those days!!!

10. Granadaland

Granadaland Forum Resident

Steve.
    Have you listened to any of the Jazz records/bands coming out of London/UK over the last few years?
    Nubya Garcia, Ezra Collective, Sons of Kemet etc.
    If so how do you think the UK is doing at putting its own stamp on the genre?
    It’s pretty exciting for me to hear these great musicians coming out of my old stomping grounds.

11. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Always wondered how you made the music on "Jazzy Jugs and Washboards " sound like it was recorded yesterday.

12. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Specific question:
    Ella Fitzgerald: The Rodgers & Hart Songbook.
    HD Tracks download.
    Mono or Stereo?
    that said, half the "Stereo" download tracks mono
    then the "Stereo" is 192/24 and the mono 96/24

Help.

13. James_S888

Then the 192 / 24 stereo is from 2012. Which suggests to me it's the upsampled Marino 48/20 transfers.
    The 96/24 mono is 2016. New transfer?
    Any light?

14. ErinH

ErinH Forum Resident

Ah, man. That really, really sucks.

15. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

We are never going to get a truly magnificent version of bostons incredible debut. Why? because the master is not up to it. I have the 2011 cd which is regarded as the best version. The original vinyl sound is thin to say the least. Its epic. that says it all. If the master is poor then theres nowhere to go

16. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Forget anything hires. They are just upsampled 16bit recordings and will sound worse as a consequence. GINGO.
    if the master is poor then theres nowhere to go with the recording.
    Hires will make the average sound even worse

17. James_S888

18. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Hi Steve,
    I believe that I read where you recommended the MFSL for Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. What are the cd versions of Madman Across The Water, Tumbleweed Connection and Honky Chareau that you like best? I don't remember seeing anywhere where you have commented on those titles. Thanks very much.

19. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm not Steve but there's lots of good info here.....

Elton John - I'd Forgotten How Good His 70's Albums Are!

Starwanderer likes this.
  20. Steve, what's your opinion of the XRCDs of old RVG Blue Note albums remastered by Alan Yoshida? I was very impressed by them.

21. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I'm sure there's a thread about that.

George P likes this.
  22. There is, and I scrolled through all 30 pages of it, and Steve Hoffman didn't post in it. I was hoping to get his opinion.

23. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Thanks hodgo. I've read through quite a few threads on the subject and I was just curious as to what Steve's preferences were. If I recall correctly, there are a lot of different opinions and mastering similarities between the Polydors, MCA's, DJM's which can be a little confusing. Then we also have the MFSL's, SHM's, and SACD's.

hodgo likes this.
  24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

hodgo and George P like this.
  25. Biscuit Warehouse

Biscuit Warehouse Forum Resident

Great time to have been young. I still have my button too. Met Cynthia Fox. Talked to Jim Ladd several times. And then got to hear KROQ start up. LA radio was awesome.

If I could go back in time.....

dav-here and hodgo like this.