Alex Lifeson at peace with the end of Rush

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

2. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

NO!:faint:

7solqs4iago likes this.
  3. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

A well-deserved touring retirement, just like Neil. They kicked ass for 40+ years and the R40 tour was no exception, props to Rush for going out with a bang! I am lucky that I was old enough to at least have seen every tour since Snakes & Arrows, including the last show at the Forum - every show was amazing

4. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

All joking aside,

I'm glad they did what they did. Ending on their terms with respect Neil's aliments. Sad. Endings always are. But, on a high note rather than with a long overdue whimper. Thank you Rush!!!!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    polchik, bzfgt, Sean and 16 others like this.
  5. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I dunno. I think they should go on tour with guest drummers. Maybe multiple drummers for each show.
    Dave Grohl, Lars Ulrich, Stevo Clumper, etc. Kinda like Queen going on the road with Paul Rodgers or
    AC/DC going on the road with Axel.

Kidding.
    There comes a point when a decision has to be made. Going out on their own terms is the best way.

6. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Good for him, they did this for over 40+. They don't owe me anything, I hope they enjoy their retirement.

7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

This should not be a surprise. It was obvious back in 2015 that it was the end, and everything since has confirmed it. They gave us 40+ years of great music and have earned their retirement. :cool:

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Their legacy as a class act and great band is fully intact. They’ve earned a well deserved retirement. They owe us nothing :)

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Although I’d welcome some complete and uncut live shows from 1980 - 1988...please :)

10. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Geddy is gonna be the one to continue. He’ll release a solo album and go on tour. I’m predicting next year.

11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Their last recorded album is top tier, and they finished with a stellar tour........how many bands can make that claim after 40 years?

12. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I’m as big a Rush fan as anyone, and if the R40 tour had made its way to Europe i’d have been there, but the one thing that seemed to be a weak spot during those last 2-3 tours was Geddy’s voice. Up to the Snakes and Arrows tour, i’d say his voice was in excellent shape, but Time Machine / Clockwork Angels / R40?

13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. His live voice really dropped off starting with the Time Machine Tour. I own them all, but I rarely watch any of the last three live DVD's because his voice is difficult to take in too many spots. That said, considering his style, it's amazing his voice held up as long as it did, so a decline was inevitable. They went out at the right time.

14. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I haven't heard any of the tours but I was always pleading for some audio control board engineer to just boost the 300-600Hz mid range region of Getty's mic feed to reduce his high pitched piercing voice. Does he have to sound like a "Lollipop Guild" alumni? It's really extreme on the Rush CD's I own.

I'm at peace that they know when to go out on a high note. I predict there will probably be a cover band attempt to exactly replicate their sound much like Beatle Mania or what Journey had to do to replace their lead vocal with an Asian fellow who pretty much nails it. I'm not going to look up names, but I'm sure we all know who I'm talking about.

squittolo likes this.
  15. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I'm content with this. Clockwork Angels was the perfect album to end with...

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Rush stopped at the right time.... other bands not.

17. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Well what else is he going to say. Neil can't play at a level he wants, Alex's arthritis seems bad, so no sense in wringing your hands over it. They went out on high. Great last album and tour. He should be happy.

squittolo likes this.
  18. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Thanks for it all Alex.
    Will listen to Grace Under Pressure next, and maybe a couple others tonight. Father Time :thumbsdow

ytserush and Scott Sheagren like this.
  19. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

ytserush likes this.
  20. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Entire career was like that. Embarrassment of riches...

21. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Bring it on.....

kanakaris likes this.
  22. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Not a surprise. Alex can now focus on his epic legendary naps :)
    Seriously what else is there for them to do? Time to enjoy retirement.

squittolo likes this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

cough...KISS...cough

24. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

They ended it with dignity and class, something to aspire too.

mando_dan, ceddy10165 and Diamond Dog like this.
  25. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Seeing I'm a bit to young to have seen RUSH in the early 70's my dream would be for Geddy and Alex to get another drummer and do club dates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.