Perceived band hierarchy on SHF?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crimson jon, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident Thread Starter

What is the hierarchy on this site based on all of the threads over the years as far as you can tell?

I see it something like this in terms of popularity...

Beatles..no surprise
    Stones...no surprise
    Zeppelin...no surprise
    Floyd ...of course they are amazing
    Queen...very surprising to me

Then we get to bands like:
    Beach boys...other than pet sounds surprising

The kinks...very surprised they are so popular here

The byrds...also shocked to see the love they get

Bands like Radiohead get mentioned a fair amount which is great since I love them.

What other bands' popularity on this forum surprise you? I know I've missed some.

2. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

I'd rank them in the order -

Souther
    Furay
    Hillman

3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Other bands that come to mind that have a large following here:

King Crimson
    The Who

Genesis, McCartney, Steely Dan, Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Springsteen, Prince, etc. have strong representation.

It's the "classic rock" period. No surprise to see this clustering.

4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, the list given by the OP isn't surprising at all. I mean, it's all classic rock. Coming from the UK, Queen being there isn't a surprise - they were hugely popular.

Still, setting aside the classic bands I just don't like, and even considering those I do, I find the must fun in reading/posting about the truly lesser bands.

And someone needs to mention Yes.

:D

5. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes good call...being a crimson freak I have seen more love on this site than I have seen on some others. I was used to get people bashing me for loving what they consider a pretentious self indulgent group.

6. old school

old school Senior Member

King Crimson
    Jethro Tull
    Pink Floyd
    Bob Dylan
    Love
    Allman Brothers
    Emerson Lake & Palmer
    Yes
    Genesis
    Gentle Giant
    The Who
    Deep Purple
    Led Zeppelin
    UFO
    Mountain
    Robin Trower
    Cream
    Black Sabbath
    Rainbow
    Humble Pie
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Traffic
    Jeff Beck Group
    Savoy Brown
    Groundhogs

Just for starters so many more great ones.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I was surprised to discover the difference in stature enjoyed by Queen in the rest of the world. In the USA, they were "just" another successful '70s band that squeezed out some hits in the '80s after a stylistic makeover, not terribly different than Heart, Genesis and Aerosmith. You know, on that second tier but nowhere as big as the Beatles, Stones or Zeppelin. But they are considered among the titans in the rest of the world.

8. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Don't forget The Monkees and Steely Dan

9. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

The Queen sound is very different from that of Heart, Genesis or Aerosmith. No other band sounds like them.

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I meant similar -- or "not terribly different" -- in career arc, critical stature and historical importance . . .

In the USA, Queen is not one of the great bands like the Beatles, Stones or Zeppelin, nor are they critically acclaimed like David Bowie.

Their first US revival in WAYNE'S WORLD was as hopelessly silly kitsch: note the other song featured in that film was "YMCA" by the Village People. However, their second revival due to BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY may change public perception to match that of the rest of the world.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  11. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

ok

12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes I was surprised about the Monkees popularity here.

13. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix. I didn’t know he was so big with american baby boomers.

CliffL and Day_Tripper2019 like this.
  14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Rush. I had successfully blocked Geddy Lee's unbearable shrieking out of my mind until the last few years, when I realized they were still quite popular online.

Lack of popularity:

1. Steely Dan. They had similar fans to Rush, who regarded them as somehow greater than mere rock. But while Rush kept their fan base, SD could not.

2. Doo Wop. It's hardly ever discussed on here. A surprise, as it was once the most collected rock genre. i guess its fan base died off w/o transferring interest to a new generation, the way garage punk, rockabilly, and even honky tonk did.

15. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

The Doors and Creedence Clearwater Revival are particularly big on this forum, no doubt linked to our host's significant work on their respective catalogues.

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Re the first couple posts in the thread, the Kinks, Byrds, Dead, etc. shouldn't be surprising given that so many older folks post here--people who were at least in their teens, if not older, at the time when those bands were first making their mark. There are a lot of posters here who are centered on 60s music, and lots of posters from both the US and UK. So any artist that was hip/popular in either area during the 60s shouldn't be surprising in terms of the praise they get on the board.

What I think is more surprising in that regard is when there's an artist who was hip/popular in the 60s who seems to get knocked a lot here. For example, Janis Joplin.

17. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

18. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Monkees
    Monkees
    Monkees

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think there is a fairly broad coverage of bands and music, which is great.
    The Beatles seem to be the most posted band, infiltrating threads they really don't have much to do with lol

20. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

As a newcomer to the board, the Queen love is constantly surprising. People here are prepared to say they like bands, even if they clash with the laws of musical snobbery. I love this! I wouldn't put Queen anywhere near the top 50 of best bands ever*, but I still smile at the memory of Live Aid or the Radio Gaga video and, although I shed more than half my vinyl collection at one stage, I still treasure Queen's Greatest Hits.

The other surprise seems to be a dismissal of the post-punk years. Haven't you lot heard of the Smiths?

21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Who would he be MORE popular with?

22. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Queen is one of those bands that was very popular, then they waned and I forgot about them. Then I turned around for a moment and when I turned back, it was Wayne's Rhapsody and bigger than the Beatles and GOAT frontman.

A similar case is Journey, who I'd forgotten completely when "DSB" suddenly came back from the dead and they had the GOAT frontman too. All these acts always seem to have a shrieking GOAT frontman.

23. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

“The Elton John Band”, with Dee Murray, Nigel Olsson, and then Davey Johnstone, and then Ray Cooper.

Fullbug and g.z. like this.
  24. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Steely dan

I never cared for them, by the way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.