Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I think I agree with that attitude, but there are exceptions -- the 1969 Isle of Wight show included with BS V.10 was one of the best things they ever put out.

2. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

I must say that I have gotten kind of burned out in a good way(if that is possible) on Blood On The Tracks by this otherwise wonderful addition to the Bootleg Series but I also got burned out in an equally happy way with John Lennon's Imagine and Paul McCartney's Wings Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway thanks to those deluxe Box Sets! I just need a few months away from all!

I have momentarily turned my attention to The Bootleg Series, Vol 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975, a very manageable two Disc set with some awesome live Bob from the same period as this current Bootleg Series release. Didn't I read on this Board, in another Thread, that there will be more coming on this Dylan 1975 Tour?

I agree with HominyRhodes above that the 1969 Isle of Wight Disc with BS 10 was cool and I played it to a friend who was at that concert and he was in tears, LOL not really, but was overjoyed to hear Dylan from that concert in the comfort of our guest's home and not worrying about bathroom facilities or lack thereof as was the problem at the actual 1969 Isle of Wight show!

3. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

The big thing with IOW was the huge upgrade in sound quality. That’s when I care about official releases vs boots

4. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Isle of Wight is my favorite Dylan live release. I really hope it gets its own dedicated release on vinyl someday. They can even use this as the basis for the cover :)

[​IMG]

5. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I was going to say that. 100% agree.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

7. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Yes, exactly. As I have said before, John Bauldie's liner notes for BS 1-3 were written when, for example, the "spooky" organ "Idiot Wind" was earmarked for the set; it was he who coined the adjective, and he was hacked-off when Bob Inc. substituted it for another (previously unheard) take at the last minute without his knowledge but retained his liner notes. Those who were unaware of this development muttered about erroneous liner notes which further annoyed John; and the mutterings continue to this day. At the time Bob's office, defending the switch, declared that it was felt that people would prefer to hear a take they hadn't heard rather than the test pressing take which had been circulating for years. It's not unlike the recent comment by Berkowitz regarding the previously unheard organ overdub.

(Obviously, I say all this with some sympathy for those who apparently don't have access to the test pressing and who thus may feel they are missing out on a legendary performance.)

8. HominyRhodes

I'm sure that Pete Hamill was also frustrated when they released a BOTT that was quite different from the one he wrote his liner notes for.

9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

With regard to the ‘organ’ Idiot Wind. Is there any other example of something being available on vinyl but not (eventually) coming out on cd?
    I know the Basement Tape vinyl isn’t on cd, but I’m talking about a particular version of a song. This version of Idiot Wind would be, for the moment, unique to vinyl in terms of an official release.

Any other examples? I can’t think of any off hand. Mixes, yes, but nothing in terms of a unique ‘version’ of a song. Well...ok...a couple of b-sides still, that will probably end up on cd on future Bootleg Series releases.

I think on that basis, a cd version of the acetate will happen at some point.

10. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

There's the 4th Time Around with the organ overdub, I don't think that has gotten a digital release

11. HominyRhodes

Well, technically the version with organ was the original, then the organ and the drums were wiped, replaced by overdubbed drums only. But you are right, the version with the organ hasn't been issued in digital format, in mono or stereo. AFAIK.

12. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Hello Tom,
    I welcome your thoughts on how the 96/24 compares with the CD.
    Thank you.

13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

For Bob? Nothing else really that I can think of. But there are many Record Store Day releases over the past few years which contain material that hasn't made it to CD (yet).

subtr likes this.
  14. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Isn't there the Masters of War from the Lomax Compilation Root Hog or Die? But yes, point taken that it's very, very few. I have a feeling in the back of my mind there's another one or two.

15. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I have not heard the CDs, so I can't compare. I do have the vinyl edition and the 96/24 download compares favorably to the 2 record set. The HD tracks version has nice dynamics and little or no compression.
    Definite recommend IMO.

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm one of those - "I want an official release". A bootleg is a bootleg, whereas an official release enters it into the canon. I'd get an official release over a bootleg every time.

jlf likes this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Oh, good memory! And that set has since been released as a download... minus the Dylan track!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  18. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I did not know that! The only way I heard it was via a stream sample, which I then patched together to create the whole thing.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  19. Percy Song

I imagine that will end up on The Villager, along with "V.D. City" which was included as a 78 r.p.m. record in Woody's "American Radical Patriot" box.

American Radical Patriot | The Official Bob Dylan Site

20. Percy Song

My philosophy is that if I have the bootleg I will always purchase the official version when it is released, and if I don't have the bootleg I will always buy the official version when it is released; I'm always happy when I can consign the bootlegs to the dark and dusty corners of Percy Towers. Does this stance translate as, "To live outside the law you must be honest...." or am I being insufferably smug?

Don't answer that... :)

21. Percy Song

"He's Funny That Way" hasn't found a home on CD yet. Too early, perhaps?

22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Has the thread on the test pressing RSD been deleted or something?
    I couldn't find it in a search.

23. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Thanks. I should have taken the words "Bob Dylan" out of my search.

24. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

My amazon.es order is still not cancelled. A good sign, but are they going to honor the order that's already placed?