Thoughts on Sony SSCS5 bookshelf speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AdrianC, Nov 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdrianC

AdrianC Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I ordered these today on sale from Amazon ($73!) I was looking for some entry level speakers, and these fit the bill. What are your thoughts or opinions on them?

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

3. HILO

HILO Senior Member

Adrian are you happy with these,now that you have had them for awhile?
    Aloha,
    Michael

AdrianC likes this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I have a pair that I bought for about this price ($70-ish). I have been auditioning them with my office system (Pioneer A-35 integrated, Pro-ject Debut Carbon, etc.) for about the last two months. In low to moderate listening levels I think they reproduce
    a lot of details nicely for the $$. When you crank them up they become a bit forward and a touch edgy, they tend to "flare" if you will. I was using one of the first versions of Pioneer Andrew Jones designed speakers with the metal grills (BS-41 or 21?? I own both.) I think the Pioneer handle and reproduce bass and volume better at the sacrifice of having a detailed high end. Two speakers with two different flavors. For the price I wouldn't hesitate.

6. HILO

HILO Senior Member

Cool.Thanks Dan.

7. Francois

Francois Forum Resident

It's been part of my setup with the UDA-1 for a while now, I quite enjoy them! Still surprised how good it sounds for the price I paid!

8. AdrianC

Yes quite happy especially for $73, they are a steal!

Stanton56 likes this.
  9. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

I have heard a lot of great things about these sony speakers but some reviews mention the lack of bass. I do not have a subwoofer. Would these be good in a small room without a sub?

10. Francois

Francois Forum Resident

Subwoofer needed imho!

11. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

How bad is a sub needed? It will be in a pretty small room around 10x12. I was also thinking of the Micca MB42X or the Pioneer SP-BS22. Maybe something else? Not sure yet.

12. AdrianC

I use them without a sub in my room which is around 12x13, the bass is fine. If they are still on sale for $73 then they're great, BUT I have been looking to upgrade possibly to ELACs ...

Paul99 likes this.
  13. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

I did end up getting these speakers when they were still on sale. Been listening to them for the last two weeks or so. They are pretty great. Definitely one of the best bookshelf speakers in this price range.

Lucca90 and AdrianC like this.
  14. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I have these speakers and like them. Not currently using these with a sub but thinking about upgrading to their tower speaker version (SS-CS3), which get very good reviews but are about $320 (sale price, currently) for the pair. Wondering if I simply add a sub to the bookshelfs I have, would it equate to a similar sound experience to the tower models? Anyone here own the Sony towers?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Wait for them to be on sale, they sell for under $200/pair then.

RickH likes this.
  16. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Just got them.
    Since 1980s i have been using Pioneer speakers that have been great for me in power and bass. We are moving to a retirement community where we need to be discriminating about our use of space and so gave our heavy speakers to goodwill and after reading the reviews got these Sony speakers and, though not as powerful, will and have done just fine. My technics receiver is stronger wattage than the speakers but i like these speakers for their size and, yes their price. Got them at best buy.

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.