'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics Thread Starter

I have had great results with Blake Sleeves. They are quite thick and the most transparent sleeves I have had so far. Fits MM 2LPs (and even 3LP gatefolds, like the latest Nathan Davis from Sam Records) like a glove. They exist without flap in case you don't need'em. Single sleeves have a little more space but still a very good fit. I don't know how much they cost in the U.S., but I paid $37-38 for 200 sleeves shipped (two unit at 100 pieces).

2. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Ahhh....thanks for that info. :righton:

Briskit likes this.
  3. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

4. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

But the Tone Poet series are all pressed in USA by RTI ,or those sold in Europe are pressed in an european pressing plant ?

5. Krzysztof Maj

Hope not the case, because if pressed in EU they are rather sure digital!

6. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

Couldn’t have said it better myself, at last I’ve found my long lost twin!

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  7. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Ha! Great minds!

Theloneliest Monk likes this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I try an order a Jazz title from my local shop every week and have been wanting one of the releases from Hancock's "Mwandishi trilogy" and decided to go with the Speakers Corner version of "Crossings", and while placing my order they confirmed that for the 4/26 street date that they had the Tone Poet releases of Gil Evans, Joe Henderson, and Cassandra Wilson in my cart and ready to ship for release week. And to top it all off the new (well unreleased) 2-LP set from J.J. Cale - Stay Around, one of my wife's favorite artists is coming out then as well. If all goes as plan, this is going to one incredible listening session no doubt, yes I am getting excited already...

I decided to take "Contours" for a 4th listen last night and was only going to listen to side 1, but I just could not stop, before I knew it, the album was over and I was trying to figure out what the heck just happened...this release comes very close to being as good sounding as, well I just won't say, but damn this is down right amazing!

9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The Tone Poet series is being pressed at RTI for worldwide distribution. Contours was cut from analog tapes by Kevin Gray. Those stores you’ve linked have incorrect information copied from the 2004 digital release.

10. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

That is on the master Carter. You'll hear it on digital versions as well. Not sure the cause is but it's there on the master. It's very brief on the 1st note and then corrects mid-note.

ultron9, FashionBoy, Dmann201 and 3 others like this.
  11. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Guys, I don't control pricing at MMJ.

12. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Correct.

ultron9, FashionBoy, Dmann201 and 3 others like this.
  13. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

If it were on a modern recording I’d have thought it intentional. It matches the vibe of the piece so well. But I was betting Hancock didn’t have a pitch shift wheel on the studio’s piano!
    Such an amazing sounding album. You guys are killing it with these. Thanks for taking the time to respond and for so many fantastic records first via MMJ and now the TP series.

Dan Steele, FashionBoy and scotti like this.
  14. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I just received my copy of Etcetera in the mail. I haven't had the chance to play it yet but my initial impression is it's a quality product that's a cut above many vinyl releases. The outer jacket seems to be of a good weight and thickness. There is a hype sticker identifying it as part of the Tone Poet series, mastered from the original analogue tapes by Kevin Gray and pressed at RTI, so it checks off a few boxes and let's you know what you are buying or have, which as a customer I really appreciate. My Contours has also shipped. Do any of our Canadian members here know if any of the next releases from this series are available for pre order on Amazon.ca? I can't find any yet, but am interested.

ultron9, Joti Cover and scotti like this.
  15. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Yes, the Henderson and Evans titles are up but at quite a bit higher prices than the first batch initially was (they have also risen). Not sure if this is supply/demand pricing or sinking Canadian dollar but hopefully they drop down a bit before release day. I ordered them since Amazon has the price guarantee if they do drop - if not, I still want them, the first two have been great.

16. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Thanks, I'll have a look now!

17. Krzysztof Maj

Thanks @Joe Harley and guys for confirmation. SOLD!

Joe Harley likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Joe, I think he might have been being facetious. You're not in the business end of things, as contrasted to being an artistic advisor.

Joe Harley likes this.
  19. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

Nope, everything is pressed at RTI and shipped over to Europe, AFAIK.

20. Krzysztof Maj

Tak też potwierdził Joe ;-)

p.analogowy likes this.
  21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'm late to the Tone Poet party, but have noticed Etcetera is on backorder everywhere at present. @Joe Harley is there an ETA on when more will be available?

22. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I won't be getting a chance to play my copy of Etcetera that arrived today, but I have opened it. Again, the cover is of high quality, is a gatefold with nice period photos inside, similar to the Music Matters reissues. The record looks clean with no issues, inside a poly type sleeve. So far so good.

DeRosa and Joti Cover like this.
  23. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

For how much they went initially? I've got a couple for $40 each. But now they are $45. Preorders are about $41.

24. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

Just got an email from amazon.fr - Contours delivery 3-6 May... :cry:

Joti Cover likes this.
  25. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

I ordered the Shorter and Corea for $31.28 CDN each and the Rivers for $29.99 CDN - all from Amazon.ca.

formu_la and calgary669 like this.