Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2019 - 2023 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 11, 2019.

1. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

I think if they have a "Concert for Tom" (similar to "Concert for George" that Tom participated in)........I think the lineup can be:

- Dhani Harrison
    - Roger McGuinn
    - Bob Dylan
    - Jeff Lynne
    - Stevie Nicks
    - Mike Campbell
    - Benmont Tench
    - Ron Blair
    - Scott Thurston
    - Steve Ferrone
    - Tom Leadon
    - Paul McCartney
    - Ringo Starr
    - Neil Young
    - Chris Hillman
    - Norah Jones
    - Bruce Springsteen
    - Eddie Vedder

I think that is a pretty awesome tribute......who else would you add? I think those above were his band, his music colleagues
    and people who performed with him over the years......

I hope they can honor Tom with a tribute concert sometime.....like the "Concert for George"

2. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Drop Paul (he and Tom never really collaborated and I don't even know how much they were even seen together) and add Stephen Stills and Marty Stuart and I'd easily be on board with something like that.

3. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

We kinda already have the sort of tribute show suggested above with the MusiCares 2017 set.

“Refugee” — Randy Newman

“You Wreck Me” — George Strait

“American Girl” — Elle King

“Hometown Blues” — Taj Mahal

“Time to Move On” — Norah Jones

“You Don’t Know How It Feels” — Jones

“Honey Bee” — Foo Fighters

“Break Down” — Foo Fighters and Gary Clark Jr.

“Walls” — The Lumineers

“Mary Jane's Last Dance” — Cage the Elephant

“The Waiting” — Jackson Browne

“Learning to Fly” — Browne

“Rebels” — Lucinda Williams

“Good Enough” — Gary Clark Jr.

“I Forgive It All” — Regina Spektor

“Southern Accents” — Lucinda Williams

“Love is a Long Road” — Jakob Dylan

“You Got Lucky” — The Head and the Heart

“Listen to Her Heart” — The Shelters

“Free Fallin’” — Don Henley

“Wildflowers” — Chris Hillman & Herb Pedersen

“Waiting for Tonight” — Tom Petty with the Bangles

“Don’t Come Around Here No More” — Petty with the Bangles

“Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” — Petty and Stevie Nicks

“Insider” — Petty and Nicks

“I Won’t Back Down” — Jeff Lynne

“Runnin’ Down a Dream” — Petty

4. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I'm Listening to "Waiting for Tonight" right now... such a master craftsman.

I'm just glad that we got what we got from him while he was alive

The MEZ likes this.
  5. I could see:
    Stevie Nicks
    ELO
    Ringo Starr
    Don Henley
    Jackson Browne
    Neil Young
    Paul McCartney
    Elvis Costello
    Bruce Springsteen
    Lucinda Williams
    Taylor Swift (hey, she was a fan. I don't know how well the audience would respond since the rest of the artists are middle aged to elderly.
    Bob Dylan
    Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman
    Norah Jones
    The Shelters
    and the backing band would be The Heartbreakers of course.
    I don't have a problem with McCartney appearing. I don't know how well he knew Tom but I'm sure their paths crossed.

The MEZ likes this.
  6. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    TGIF GANG

- First and foremost, as announced through the official Tom Petty Twitter account, Tom Petty's daughters, Adria and Annakim Petty will be hosting Facebook Live chat today to promote the upcoming Tom Petty/Heartbreakers release "The Best Of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016". Tom's daughters are currently taking questions through the official Tom Petty Twitter account and the chat will take place through Facebook Live at 11 AM PT/2 PM ET. If you recall, a few months back Benmont Tench hosted a Facebook Live chat of his own to promote "An American Treasure", so this Q&A will likely follow a similar format. For those unable to catch the chat live, I will endeavor to post up the stream as soon as it is uploaded.

- Speaking of chats, yesterday Sizzlin' Memphis Jon Scott dropped into SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" for a chat about his book "Tom Petty & Me". Scott's interview with Mark Felsot can now be found streaming on-demand through the SiriusXM website at www.siriusxm.com

- Steve Ferrone recently participated in a Q&A of his own regarding his upcoming appearance at Pollstar Live: Q’s With A Pollstar Live! Panelist: All-Star Drummer Steve Ferrone To Share Stories From The Road

- The website LouderSound.com early birded somewhat with their review of the upcoming Tom Petty/Heartbreakers TBOE compilation. So take it as a preview, rather than a review: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: The Best Of Everything album review | Louder

- From the archives: Courtesy of NPR.com, we have a half hour audio interview with Tom Petty dating from 2006 and the release of "Highway Companion" alongside embarking on what was then Tom Petty/Heartbreakers thirtieth anniversary tour: Tom Petty Packs 30 Years of Rock for the Road

- Finally some more footage from this past October and the Tom Petty Birthday Tribute show featuring Ron Blair, Scott Thurston, Hattie Webb and Chris Torres as they pay tribute to Tom Petty by performing both "King's Highway" and Little Feat's "Willin'", which was a song that Blair brought to the attention of the Heartbreakers and became one of their latter day cover songs:

7. McCool

[​IMG]
    TP is a little busy right now...so I thought I'd just mention that "FOR REAL" will begin flirting with Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans on Valentine's Day (THURS. 2-14-19) on SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" beginning at 7 AM ET/4 AM PT and will be available for purchase through the usual merchants shortly thereafter. That is all.

8. McCool

[​IMG]
    - As previously mentioned up the chain, this guy^ Benmont Tench III will be hitting the east coast next month to play some gigs alongside Phil Lesh (03-14-19-03-16-19). It has now been confirmed that Benmont Tench will be performing some solo gigs as well next month. Tench will perform an intimate series of solo shows on March 19th and 20th at Rockwood Music Hall in New York. There will be a pre-sale available to Highway Companion Club members tomorrow with the public on-sale taking place on Friday 02-15-19 at 10 A.M. If you are in the northeast region of the United States, I would highly encourage you to check this cat out as it might be your only chance to see Benmont Tench on the east coast this year! Here is a link to the Rockwood Music Hall homepage: Rockwood Music Hall - Upcoming Performances AND a direct link to where you can purchase tickets on Friday morning: An Intimate Evening with Benmont Tench - Tickets - Rockwood Music Hall Stage 2 - New York, NY - March 19th, 2019 AND An Intimate Evening with Benmont Tench - Tickets - Rockwood Music Hall Stage 2 - New York, NY - March 20th, 2019

9. McCool

[​IMG]
    Before I head out for the weekend, a new interview with Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench courtesy of Randy Lewis of the Los Angeles Times has hit the wire this afternoon. Lewis, who incidentally conducted what turned out to be Tom Petty's final interview shortly after Petty returned home from the 40th Anniversary Tour got Campbell and Tench to speak about the new compilation "The Best Of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016" and the process that was undertaken by The Tom Petty Trust in compiling it. One issue that comes out in the article is that even at numbering nearly forty selections, there is still songs that were jettisoned from the package that could be considered either hits or fan-favorites, which The Heartbreakers find to be flattering and indicative of Petty's talents as a songwriter. Perhaps the most important piece of information contained in the article is that The Heartbreakers are in no way ready to stage a Tom Petty tribute concert in the near future. The idea of an evening where Tom Petty's colleagues and devotees pay homage to his legacy has been bandied about among fans ever since the musician's passing in October of 2017. However, Mike Campbell says he's not ready to broach the idea and at this time feels it's best left to others to stage those sorts of affairs if that is what they want to do. Likewise, Benmont Tench over the past several days has been active on social media stating that he misses performing alongside his band-mates, be it The Heartbreakers or Mudcrutch. But when a fan suggested to him that they hold auditions for another guitarist, Tench emphatically stated that "Without Tom Petty, there is no band".

You can read Randy Lewis' article in it's entirety here:
    Why the Heartbreakers are resisting the lure of an all-star Tom Petty tribute

10. McCool

[​IMG]
    Hey peoples!

- With the imminent release of "The Best Of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016", there has been some promotional work done for the upcoming collection including a recent interview for Billboard, with Benmont Tench and Adria Petty. Familiar ground is covered but there are a few interesting chestnuts including mentions of potential future archival Mudcrutch, "Hypnotic Eye" and "The Last DJ" projects as well as information on the dissemination of future archival projects: Tom Petty's Daughters, Bandmate on Stewarding His Legacy

- Speaking of TBOE, Elmore Magazine has a brief preview of the collection which you can read here: Tom Petty

- For those Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans will a little jingle in their bank accounts, prints of the photograph which adorns the cover of TBOE are available for purchase through the website of the photographer himself: Allan Tannenbaum. These prints are signed by Mr. Tannenbaum and range from $150.00 to well you know. If you are interested in obtaining a print please visit: Tom Petty: SoHo Blues Gallery

- From The Archives: Literally! The wonderful website, "The Petty Archives" has a new interview up with the original Sidebreaker, Phil Jones. Jones who is best known for his contributions to Petty's "Full Moon Fever" album also toured with the Heartbreakers on their "Damn The Torpedoes", "Hard Promises" and "Long After Dark" tours along with contributing to several other Tom Petty/Heartbreakers albums as well: Spotlight on a Sidebreaker: Interview with Phil Jones - The Petty Archives

[​IMG]
    - Big News! As part of the year-long City of Gainesville 150th anniversary celebration, a special concert honoring Gainesville's Rock-and-Roll Hall of Famers will be held on Saturday, April 13 at the Bo Diddley Plaza. Hours are 6-11:30. The Gainesville Music Legends Concert will feature among others Tom Leadon's band "The Bayjacks"! More information can be found here: https://www.visitgainesville.com/event/gainesville-music-legends-concert/

- Recently, "Sizzlin' Memphis" Jon Scott joined Mark Felsot on SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" for a discussion of Scott's book "Tom Petty And Me". Initially the podcast was only available to SiriusXM subscribers through the SiriusXM app, but is now available to all here: Tom Petty And Me-Interview with Mark Felsot by TOM PETTY AND ME-Podcast by Jon Scott • A podcast on Anchor

- Speaking of SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio", beginning at 6 AM ET tomorrow, there will be exclusive interviews and reminisces from Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' regarding the tracks appearing on "The Best Of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016". Throughout the weekend, the band will be spotlighting the tracks on the new collection as they speak about the songs themselves and reflect upon what those songs mean to them.

Ron Blair (ft. Chris Torres & Mike Stone): "Powerglide":

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  11. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

With The Best of Everything and An American Treasure out, the question becomes what the Petty vaults will yield next. Tench promises that "there's a bunch of really great stuff," including early Mudcrutch recordings and "a whole other version" of 2014's Hypnotic Eye album, "not the same songs, just more stuff from the same period," as well as Petty demo recordings from 2002's The Last DJ.
    Well, make room Wildflowers All the Rest and Fillmore '97 box sets — a whole album of Hypnotic Eye era tracks moves to the top of my list alongside those for most anticipated Heartbreakers projects!

12. ilhuicamiztli

ilhuicamiztli Forum Resident

I walked into HMV yesterday after work and bought The Best of Everything LPs. Although i’ve never been a massive fan and i’m only familiar with some of his catalogue, i’ve always appreciated his work.

This is an excellent music collection! I really enjoyed listening to the first two albums last night and i’m looking forward to thd next two later this weekend.

13. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

14. windfall

windfall Senior Member

15. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Yes, thank you to Bonddm. A great article, very sad but uplifting too in its own way.

CWillman and Bonddm like this.
  16. KinkySmallFace1991

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Myke, Bonddm and CWillman like this.
  17. twistandshout

What album is "Depot Street" on? I wish they would have put that song on "Best of Everything"

18. KinkySmallFace1991

Playback Disc 5, or Through the Cracks, if you like...

Fullbug likes this.
  19. McCool

[​IMG]
    Hey gang ~ Just a few "quick links" to get your Wednesday morning going in the right direction. I apologize for not being as diligent with this thread as I could've been last week, although it seems that most of the relevant links and information pertaining to "The Best Of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016" have been posted up in the other thread, so please check there if you are so inclined to do so. Anyhow here are a few more:

- USA Today has a nice write up on TBOE including comments from Tom Petty's daughters Adria and Annakim Petty: 'It's still really hard to hear his voice': Tom Petty's daughters on his greatest hits, new music

- Mike Campbell recently did an interview with reverb.com, where he answered twenty-one random questions, touching on topics such as his favorite guitars, life with Fleetwood Mac and that mythical "Ben And Jerry's" ice cream flavor (link below)

- Speaking of interviews, Mark Felsot of SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" will have as his guest tomorrow morning, Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' official photographer Andy Tennille. Tennille will appear will Felsot on TPR beginning at 9 AM ET tomorrow, so if you are interested in some tales from the road from the past several Tom Petty/Heartbreakers and Mudcrutch tours, be sure to tune in!

21 Questions With Mike Campbell:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  20. twistandshout

Petty's hand looks HUGE in that photo on cover of "Best of Everything"....and why did they airbrush the cigarette out of his hand?

picket131 likes this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Because just like Paul Simon, Tom NEVER smoked..............:rolleyes:

J_D__ and Fullbug like this.
  23. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I love Hypnotic Eye. It's probably my third favorite Petty album.

25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

That was great to see!
    I'm glad that Benmont is playing with a band again.

CCrider92, Paul Getsey and Bonddm like this.