Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

My wife cracks up at the Madea movies. I find them terrible.

2. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Fair enough, it's only my opinion. And it's considered a classic!

royzak2000 likes this.
  3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Not saying I like it, it's not a thing I would watch, just that I understand why it has become the thing it has.

4. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

An ad for the Hulu show “Pen15” - yes, that’s the name - came up in my Instagram feed. I was intrigued just by how silly it seemed (in a bad way) and checked out the full trailer and some clips.

Granted, I haven’t seen a full episode, but the basis of it and what I’ve seen so far strike me as terribly unfunny and, more to the point, it’s essentially something that’s been done better elsewhere (“Strangers With Candy” especially).

Two 30-something girls create a comedy about the experiences of their 13-year-old selves in the year 2000, and they play themselves as 13-year-olds in the 7th grade, with actual teenagers as the rest of the cast.

Just the trailer and clips checked off the boxes of stuff I can’t stand - worst offender being the lazy nostalgia jokes/gags for the sake of it (“where’s my Discman?” “Get off the phone, I’m on AOL!”).

Also, something about seeing a millennial take on the whole “nostalgia culture” thing makes me cringe. I graduated HS 20 years ago this spring, and while it also seems like it was just last week that I was 18, I’m also glad to leave it behind - especially in terms of mining for rehashed comedy/pop culture content, if that makes sense.

5. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Not a film, but I found the Friends tv series to be almost entirely without humor. Not that I ever watched more than a few minutes of it at a time.

6. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

The funniest part of this is the fact that you fall into the age group of “millenials”.

millennial age bracket - Google Search

7. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Some "comedies" that I don't find funny are Mom, 2 Broke Girls, A Man With A Plan, and The Conners. That last one is turning into a drama. Despite Roseanne's flaws, she was the glue that held her show together, in my opinion. A lot more people can relate to those blue collar families than the PhD snobs in the Big Bang Theory.

fr in sc likes this.
  8. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Not sure why that would be funny, unless you’re trying to pull some kind of snarky “gotcha” on me.

But per your Google thing, I’m still not a millennial. Born in 1980. And actually, the designations I’ve seen place me squarely in the middle (1977-83) of “Xennial.” Meaning, on very tail end of things that Gen X had (I was 11 when Nirvana broke and remember it well), and then entering adolescence right when the Internet became a thing. It’s the last batch of kids that can recall what life was like before the Internet, but were the first to have it be part of our everyday lives.

9. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Man you’re losing sleep over this. I was making a quick quip.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

You and me both! Tyler Perry, IMO, has never been funny (not even as Madea)!

11. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I dig all of these except the god-awful Will Ferrell. I've had diarrhoea attacks that are funnier than his work. How's he managed to have a career??

misterdecibel, Complier and bmasters9 like this.
  12. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I have to go with Two Broke Girls. I can feel my IQ drop if I watch it for a few seconds. Horrible, horrible crap. And I used to really like Garrett Morris.

13. Lots of people think he is funny and paid to see his work.

Mechanical Man and Dudley Morris like this.
  14. Nobody really wants to relate to the Big Bang Theory nerds -they just want to feel superior to them.

15. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Speaking of snobs that's what I disliked about Frasier. I could not stand that guy.

16. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I have a soft spot for Big Top Pee Wee. I watched it a lot as a kid.

I could never get into Dad's Army.

I have a feeling Kat Dennings's boobs kept getting Two Broke Girls renewed every year. The majority of the people who watched it were probably randy men looking to kill 30 minutes.

17. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Nostalgic powers are very strong! :edthumbs: I have a few movies that I have a soft spot for as well and fall in that category.

18. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

One of many was 'Neighbors' (Belushi - Aykroyd).

Saw it a couple of days after its release and was hoping for the best.

The curtains closed after the coming attractions, then opened to reveal several positive reviews from reliable(?) sources transcribed on the screen of how great the movie was supposed to be. The curtains then closed, and opened again, to start the movie.

Right then and there I knew it had to be a bomb.

Nice nostalgic theatrics with the curtain thingy tho....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Saint Johnny likes this.
  19. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I love Ishtar. Just dead-pan funny and subtly intelligent.

20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Caddyshack 2. Not funny.

Smokey and the Bandit 3. Bad. Some funny lines here and there, but that's about it.

21. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I'd've said he's been effectively Stalinized and "unpersoned" in his own country, meself. I will not say any specifics, but there are added layers as to why there'll never be anymore exposure to Mr. Hill on terrestrial or cable in Britain.

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

an odd show, the cast delivered the lines deadpan as in, 'we know this isn't funny' and they were right lol

23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think you need to watch some full eps. its funny.....

Synthfreek likes this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I absolutely loved this, I watched the entire series twice. Judging this without watching the entire series is unfair. It's more than just a laugh out loud comedy...they touch on some serious topics.

25. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

The Guru--although I saw it the other day on TV and didn't think it was that much different than his Austin Powers comedies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.