What's The Point Of These Bands Still Going On?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MIKEPR, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Do they still jam on stage like they did in their early days? The jam element seems to have basically disappeared from their records years ago (although they still had some really nice tunes).

3. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Yes, they did jam on a couple tunes, it was an excellent show.

Folknik likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Walked past a Status Quo concert poster only yesterday. Even stopped to see if it had been hanging there for ages. Nope: Brandnew!

5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Saw them about a year ago. No Rick obviously (bless him) but Rhino & - especially - Andy Bown stepped up to fill the vacuum and the band were brilliant.

As strong now as they were when I first saw them in the Eighties.

phillyal1 likes this.
  6. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Yep...the answer to 99 out of 100 questions is money.

7. Delta17

Delta17 Forum Resident

Should Ford stop making cars?

I went out with a band last June for a small tour, and some people drove hundreds of miles to see them. Not hundreds of people, but hey.

Some had been opening acts, for others it was their college go to band...there were many reasons they came out.

The band consisted of players who had been in the band at various times.

One thing it wasn't, in this instance, was for money. Who cares if it were? It was a lot of fun to see old faces, friends and meet new people and a hell of a road trip...

If you could go out and do something you did in your twenties and thirties, make folks happy, and have fun you wouldn't because someone might judge? You would never see an act in the first place if they worried about that. Part of it is putting yourself out there.

Now...about these 60 year olds in Punk bands. They are tighter than ever.

AlmostHeavenWV and lazydawg58 like this.
  8. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

There was a time when bands would come on the scene, make waves and then disappear. Now music is more business oriented than ever so as long as there is money to be made, the band will go on.

9. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Famous bands continue to tour mainly to make money to support themselves after all their royalties dried up and they can no longer support their extravagant lifestyles and much younger second or third wives.

phillyal1 likes this.
  10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Yeah I saw Deep Purple, and they didn't even have original singer Rod Evans, just some guy named Ian Gillan or whatever.

And some band dared call themselves Iron Maiden even though original singer Paul D'ianno left the band in 1981! Original guitarist Dennis Stratton wasn't there either!

carlwm, zen and Delta17 like this.
  11. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

I don't even think the music needs to be all that well played when people are chasing nostalgia for a well known act. Bob Dylan and Steely Dan were awful when I last saw them, but I doubt there's any shortage of curiosity seekers who never saw them in their prime but are scooping up tickets now.

12. Delta17

Delta17 Forum Resident

I may be seeing different bands.

I am seeing the bands I went to clubs to see, playing in clubs, and embracing the fact that I can still see them.

I recently went to a benefit where I saw The Dogmatics, The Outlets, Jerry's Kids and a number of other bands. It was awesome.

13. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Obviously it doesn't apply to everyone but I believe especially big bands, there is a pressure to keep going no matter what.

14. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual.

What seems to be an uncomfortable fact for many music fans is that rock bands are... a business. As long as someone is willing to pay to see a band, they're usually willing to oblige, whether they're having fun or not.

Not a lot of original members? Not an issue if people don't kick up a big fuss. That's why Tony Iommi and Ozzy probably got the lion's share of revenue from Sabbath reunions, with Bill Ward getting crumbs. People grumbled about Bill Ward being treated unjustly, but still bought the tickets.

15. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Most people aren't hard core music fans like us. They just want to go enjoy a night out and hear songs played the way they remember them. Sure they know who Peter Cetera is but if there's a Filipino soundalike of the original lead singer that the band found in a tribute band video on YouTube they are going to leave happy if the performance matched what their memory of the band is.

As a Squeeze fan I long ago accepted that the band was Difford/Tilbrook and whoever they happened to have hired at that moment. Sure Jools Holland and Gilson Lavis contributed to the sound but Difford/Tilbrook founded it, wrote the songs and drove the bus.

Yet for some reason I can't accept the post-Entwistle Who. While Roger and Pete have always been the faces of that band, Entwistle and Moon contributed so much to the sound of that band that their absence for me is glaring and it's not the Who. But I get it-going out and calling it the Pete & Roger Who Experience isn't going to do the business that calling it The Who does.

The ones that get me laughing are the hair band lineups. Quiet Riot with no original members and just the drummer from the Metal Health lineup seemingly changing band members at every stop. Queensryche with one or two originals out on the road against their former lead singer's rival act named after their biggest album. Multiple version of LA Guns and Great White. It amuses me that they all want the brand name and the monetary value it brings but they don't see that they are driving the value down.

As others have said, I don't begrudge any musician making a living. Like all products, it's up to the consumer so let the buyer beware.

davers and phillyal1 like this.
  16. JayB

JayB Senior Member

If people enjoy it who cares.

No one is forcing me to go see or listen to some shell of a band I used to like. (The Who spring to mind)

But if people enjoy it more power to them.

Kiss73 and Delta17 like this.
  17. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

If you have ever heard Andy Bown's solo records, you never would have expected him to end his career in Status quo.

carlwm likes this.
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Now that's intriguing. I know nothing about his work outside of Quo. I'll see if I can find some examples.

It's not a popular opinion, I know, but for me, Quo stepped up from being a good band to a great band when he got involved.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

These people are old. Older then me, and that's something.
    They need money for retirement.
    Sooner or later, they will be unable to make music.
    They will either go to a retirement community or have to bring in aides.
    The nursing home options for people without a lot of clams is pretty bad.
    At this point, they aren't looking for drugs and nookie. they need to survive.
    I would never go see Joey Molland, but I get why he has to say he's Badfinger.

Dusty Sommers likes this.
  20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Musicians like to be able to make their mortgage payments, car payments, etc.

Shambolicus, bhazen and The Pinhead like this.
  21. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I saw Joey Molland's Badfinger sometime in the late 1980's, so he has been milking this for some time.
    They weren't awful , but that was a long time ago.
    It was a free admission show as well :)

22. Delta17

Delta17 Forum Resident

How many are concerned that these musicians are reflecting their own mortality? If you only wanna hear and remember a band as they were when you first found out about them, that's on the individual.

I prefer original pressings, and wonder why anyone would want a remastered album. That's on me. And, I can be swayed...thank you Mr.Visconti.

Can't we enjoy without judging, those who've brought us joy for years? Or is the discussion more important than the music?

I don't know. It just seems like a new twist on the "sellout" crap from years ago. It can be both an occupation and a calling. I think that's OK.

Shambolicus likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It's either money or the continuous joy of performing. Or both.

24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

25. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

Really?...it took until post #199 to mention Lynyrd Skynyrd?...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.