The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

And the Condon/Freeman set is now OOP. 7 box sets remain.

2. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Just received the Bing Crosby set. First few songs are soooo smooth. Can't wait to hear the rest. Two thumbs up.

RobCos02330 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They are now pretty rare, but you should seek out the series of Bing Crosby CDs on the Jonzo label.

jlrchrds, ggjjr and melstapler like this.
  4. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Thanks, I will.

5. Bobby Buckshot

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

An excellent set. I'd recommend it to everyone who doesn't have it yet, get it while you still can.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  7. J.A.W.

8. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

They need 750 preorders to commission the set. I've ordered mine, have you? Please do!!!!! Jeff

Jim Duckworth, Sorcerer and Lonson like this.
  9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am a fan of late 50s and early 60s Hank Mobley, I also have the other Mosaic Records Hank Mobley box set. Do I need this one?

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Anyone who lives in the Land of Enchantment needs the new box

11. J.A.W.

Short answer: yes.

therockman likes this.
  12. therockman

Thanks guys. I already thought that I needed this set, I just needed confirmation.

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I decided I already own 90% of the proposed box and really can't justify it. Made the same decision on the Andrew Hill years ago.

14. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I pre-ordered within 20 minutes of receiving the e-mail. :)

markp likes this.
  15. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

I saw the Louis Armstrong Live on Columbia & RCA Victor Mosaic set as a download on Qobuz. It says it is Columbia Legacy.

The box set is now pretty pricey used and I can get the download for about $100. Ricky has a pdf of the liner online. So, the next best thing.

So... has anyone heard this, is it the same mastering as the Mosaic? Has anyone downloaded from Qobuz before? Do they ever have discounts?

I have wanted this set but don’t want to pony up on the secondary market. I’d be happy to support Mosaic if it was still in print.

Lonson likes this.
  16. therockman

I pre-ordered the new Hank Mobley box set and I just received my email that indicated that there were enough pre-orders to proceed with release. They are now in phase two of this project, they are collecting the tapes and assembling the liner notes.

I am excited.

Simon A and RiRiIII like this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Should be the same material and mastering. Sony owns the material and can do what they like; other Mosaic sets have been available as files for sale online.

18. Bobby Buckshot

On the Mosaic tip, did anyone who ever ordered the final run of the Dial set ever get it, or receive any news on its completion/shipping?

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

$100 for a download shocks me. With patience, you will find a real set that will not evaporate.

20. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Me too!

21. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I've been collecting Mosaic sets since 1990 when I purchased the Herbie Nichols set on CD. At $45 plus shipping, this unknown music (to me) was quite pricey. After hearing the music, reading the book, and enjoying the entire presentation, I knew it was a great investment in terms of music I'd enjoy for many years (and still am 29 years later). Mosaic has released many great sets over the years, and the swing era sets have been instrumental in the development of my appreciation and enjoyment of the swing era.

In the past 30 years I've collected a lot of box sets, jazz and otherwise. Its fun going back and listening to them, and remembering when I originally purchased the sets. The Mosaic sets in particular, have been a guide through the history of jazz...not complete, but very comprehensive in their coverage and intent for each set. Recently I've been focusing on listening to Mosaic sets straight through, even if it takes a day or three, in a sort of immersion therapy.

So yes, much wisdom from Tribute.

therockman, Tribute and ispace like this.
  22. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I received an email this morning that the Mingus Workshop set was last chance and then just a few minutes ago - SOLD OUT. Very ironic for me personally -- since out-of-the-blue I started playing this set the last few days. Haven't touched it in maybe a year. Very wierd.

Anyway, it has literally been blowing my mind. Even though I had the set for awhile, it just hit me now. Really knocked me out. I hope everyone got it. It is one of the more amazing Mosaics I've purchased.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  23. Bobby Buckshot

What??? That's trash. That was a targeted set of mine. Very weird the lack of communication about that.

24. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

That sucker went fast. They said, "we received a strong response and it is now sold out." That's gotta be a record. 10:50 am was the warning and 1:14 pm was the sold out email.

25. Bobby Buckshot

More likely one person just snatched them all, whatever was left. Really sucks b/c that email went to my spam filter for some reason so I had no idea. :realmad:

Seriously - of all the sets they have remaining for this to happen with that one...wow.