The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

No announcement that I've seen, but that Dial set is listed again for those interested.

2. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

For me this is "the road not taken." I have EVERYTHING on the proposed Hank Mobley Mosaic set (as I did with the Andrew Hill set), yet I want it for the organization and the context that a Mosaic box offers. I wish that I was as sensible as many of the posters on this thread.

Tribute likes this.
  3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Might there be alternate takes and stuff like that to make it a little more enticing?

Jim Duckworth likes this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Right now, copies are available for about $170 on ebay, which is not too excessive a markup. If you are patient, you will likely find one at about $100-$120 eventually. You may even luck out and get one at less than $100. Call the NYC Jazz Record Center to see if they have one.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You should also personally telephone mosaic and see if there is a set remaining, whether new or "opened"

6. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

Ahhh do what you want... you can’t take it with you and it’s MOBLEY!!!!

Jim Duckworth and macdaddysinfo like this.
  7. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Given the way prices on the re-seller market have dropped for Mosaic, if indeed it was one person who snatched up all the Mingus sets, that's a brave (risky?) move.

Tribute and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  8. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Wow, same boat here — have been putting this off until I could comfortably afford it, and did not receive this email (doesn’t even seem to be in my spam). Is it possible that they could do a second pressing of this, or would their license have run out in the first pressing?

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think there's just one alternate not previously released.

10. Lonson

If they say it's "out" then it's unlikely they will offer more I'm afraid,

fatwad666 likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

"Downsizings" are occurring every day, everywhere. With patience you will find it at a decent price. You can even still get it at not too outrageous a price. People are paying $30 to $60 per LP, so the current mark-ups are not bad. It is Mosaic

12. Bobby Buckshot

Could be someone in it for the long game or to give them as gifts (if so, hope they're hanging out on this thread). Or likely a case of a missed alarm for moving it to their Running Low category before Last Chance. Oh well, can't win them all. As Tribute says above, patience. As a lifelong NC State fan, I know a thing or two about being patient.

13. Bobby Buckshot

There's also some Condon & Freeman Decca/Commodore sets on Last Chance if anyone's interested. I bought that one last year and have enjoyed it. Dixieland isn't everyone's thing but it's unique and a lot of fun.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

We know that many, or even most, Mosaic sets were never produced in the limited edition maximum number (e.g., 5,000 copies for many).

Looking at the Andrew Hill Mosaic Select sets (5,000 max), I cannot believe the actual number produced came anywhere close to that. My wild guess is that the total number was well less than 2,000 copies of each.

I would be curious to know the actual numbers of many of the sets (both boxes and select sets). Scott once told me that Mosaic did not have records of the totals, but I don't believe that (unless the records were tossed in an office downsizing)

15. Bobby Buckshot

Dial set gone OOP and Bing Crosby CBS box now on Running Low status.

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I believe the license to the Bing set is not limited. So Mosaic is likely just deleting it.

17. Lonson

fingerpoppin, Tjazz, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is great news. Maybe one day, the Lucky Thompson set will be revived

Lonson likes this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

Great news, even though the range of my interest in jazz has narrowed these last few years and I don't really listen to the artists mentioned anymore. That said, I hope the set will sell enough to break even (at least), but I'll pass.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Do you remember when Woody Allen's little boy character was worried that the universe is expanding and would explode? So is my musical taste. One day that will explode and break apart, I suppose.

marmil likes this.
  21. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

12-CD set? There's some clarinetists Barney Bigard and Joe Marsala included. I might be interested.

Lonson likes this.
  22. Lonson

I'm like that Woody Allen character as well. I'll preorder this. I don't have a lot of Black & White and like what I have.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The wikipedia article on the Black & White Record Label is an interesting read

Black & White Records - Wikipedia

Has Mosaic sent out a pre-order request yet? I assumed their new business model would apply, requiring a minimum number of pre-orders before committing to the actual pressing.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Has there been any update, or even rumor, about the release of the two boxes which Mosaic took advance orders on? Those were the Woody Herman set and the Hank Mobley set. As far as I know, no advance orders have yet been taken on the Black & White label set.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

The Mobley and Herman sets will go ahead. The B&W is still in the planning stages. Wasn't this mentioned here somewhere?

Limited Edition Jazz Collections