Joy Division Day By Day - Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

Part 2 of Joy Division Day By Day.......

This is the final poll. The winner of the first poll has been rolled over to this.... Which was Atmosphere. It now starts again, the winner will be announced in 14 days time.

I'f you'd like to revisit part 1 click here Joy Division - Day by Day

Day 15

Candidate

Forced by the pressure,
    The territories marked,
    No longer the pleasure,
    Oh, I've since lost the heart.

Corrupted from memory,
    No longer the power,
    It's creeping up slowly,
    That last fatal hour.

Oh, I don't what made me,
    What gave me the right,
    To mess with your values,
    And change wrong to right.

Please keep your distance,
    The trail leads to here,
    There's blood on your fingers,
    Brought on by fear.

I campaigned for nothing,
    I worked hard for this,
    I tried to get to you,
    You treat me like this.

It's just second nature,
    It's what we've been shown,
    We're living by your rules,
    That's all that we know.

I tried to get to you,
    I tried to get to you,
    I tried to get to you.
    I tried to get to you.

Another classic. This is a sombre affair, with Curtis sounding more desolate and alone...... He sounds lost. The more you get into this album the more distinctly separate it is from Warsaw. By now we've all but forgotten that old punk band. The guitars in this are discordant, more noises than actual music. They give dramatic effect to the proceedings, allowing Curtis to spill his thoughts...... I tried to get to you..... brilliant!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Pop_Zeus likes this.
  2. bettsaj

This'll be interesting as LWTUA is in this poll. I suspect that song will get the vote of casual listeners, where more hardened fans will likely vote for something else completely.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

My votes on the above list:
    Atmosphere
    No Love Lost
    Shadowplay
    Transmission
    Warsaw

Pop_Zeus and bettsaj like this.
  4. bettsaj

You want five....... But can only have 2........ decisions decisions :cool:

5. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Voted only two:
    Atmosphere
    New dawn fades

Creole Gris-Gris likes this.
  6. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I voted 24 hours and love will tear us apart.

7. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

24 hours
    Transmission
    New dawn fades
    Isolation
    She's lost control
    Novelty

I suspect Novelty won't pick up many votes but I've always really liked it.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I stayed with the ‘two votes’ aesthetic:
    Novelty & Twenty Four Hours.

9. bettsaj

I think the second half of this poll is going to be close........

10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Definitely krautrock-influenced and very much a mood piece, this kinda blends in with the surrounding songs the same way Secrets will do on The Cure’s Seventeen Seconds-album. That’s where I will try and stop mentioning that band, because I feel both bands unfairly get lumped together as ‘gothic, depressing music’ every time a fitting topic comes up. It really is driven by Morris’ drums.
    Title seems a sly nod to Bowie’s own song called Candidate.

bettsaj likes this.
  11. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

I gave Sound Of Music, Something Must Break and The Only Mistake votes. I really like those songs, and I think it really says something about how good a band is when their leftovers are that good.

Just some (disjointed, sorry) observations on the band and my listening habits over the years - I absolutely adored Joy Division when I was in high school 20 years ago. Devoured all I could find, listened to them all the time (much to the bemusement of my mates, JD/NO hadn't yet had their renaissance and anyone who'd heard of them was 20 years older than me). These days I like listening to them when the mood strikes but I find Closer very tough going now. Last time I tried to play it I couldn't get through to the end, it was just too sad.
    I also absolutely love New Order's first recording of Ceremony (the "green cover" version that was unavailable on CD for so long). Even though it's technically New Order, it really feels to me like a Joy Division recording that Ian couldn't make it to, so Bernard took the vocal. In my mind that is the apex and end of the "Joy Division sound", with New Order went off in another direction starting with the re-recording of Ceremony. I've been making year by year playlists in my iTunes library lately and the 1980 one starts with Sound Of Music and ends with Ceremony, they make wonderful bookends.

What an evolution from Inside The Line to Ceremony within five years. Some bands don't make half the process in twice the time.

12. bettsaj

I think Ian would have done a better job on Movement if he'd lived..........

falconerone, Devin and onlyacanvasky like this.
  13. bettsaj

It's actually better than that..... 3 years, 'cos they wrote ceremony before Ian died. The first issue by New Order was 1981 so just 4 years after Inside the Line...... Fantastic progress.

14. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Candidate - Unusually sparse, with an almost 'chilled out' vibe, compared to what had come before. I never used to be a big fan of it, but something clicked when I saw the band of actors playing it on Control and heard Peter Hook & The Light playing it live. I love the drumming, especially when I saw it live. The guitar sounds are rather unique and I think its an under appreciated little gem.

I voted Transmission and Twenty Four Hours, the latter partly on the presumption that loads of votes will go to LWTUA anyway.

bettsaj and onlyacanvasky like this.
  15. onlyacanvasky

And if we’re being precise, that first released recording of Ceremony was made when they were in America in September 1980. So yes, a lot of progress in a very short time.

bettsaj likes this.
  16. onlyacanvasky

I do like Hooky doubling himself at the octave on Dreams Never End…and Movement is an amazing album for driving through fog at night…but let’s save that for the New Order day by day thread!

17. bettsaj

I'm surprised they managed anything on that tour...... They had all their gear nicked in NYC

Anyhow...... back on topic..... CANDIDATE :)

18. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

24 hours is just one of best songs ever written, with lyrics that are deeply chilling, it transcends time itself in some way....It's a insight and a deep one at that into the human condition

gja586 likes this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

OK. If only two from that list:
    Atmosphere
    Shadowplay

Only two from both lists:
    Dead Souls
    Shadowplay

20. bettsaj

You like Shadowplay then??.. LOL

Purple Jim likes this.
  21. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Playing the live at the Factory version of Candidate (from bonus disc of 2007 UP). I love how both sides of JD are out there, as there are times when I'm Hannetted out and want to hear the rawer live stuff. On this short live version you get more prominent overdriven bass and a totally different (ie more traditional) guitar sound. No idea if its on YouTube, if so then feel free to put up a link anyone (posting from work so can't access site). Anyway, I think its the only officially released live version and its excellent.

22. bettsaj

23. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

And you can tell that the Control performance of Candidate itself was based on that live version

24. bettsaj

What I liked about the film Control, is that the band played live..... There was no miming, it was all real.

25. onlyacanvasky

Sorry to veer off, if you'll just allow me one more indulgence on the topic - according to the An Ideal For Living book by Johnson, Lees, Morley and Wozencroft the gear was nicked the night after the recording session. They were in the studio Mon-Tue September 22-23 and the gear was pinched on that Tuesday night. No wonder their sound changed.

And now back to Unknown Pleasures!

Pop_Zeus and bettsaj like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.