Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Exciting news and agree ‘the middle years” will be where it’s at!

izgoblin, DrBeatle and AlanDistro like this.
  2. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

So this makes sense and would leave room for a MIDDLE years box .But since the immersion sets pillaged DSOTM and WYWH it would contain Animals,The Wall and The Final Cut .The Wall immersion was sort of lackluster when compared to the others so a deluxe something would be in order.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. amonjamesduul

Yes,a Blu ray in 5.1 of the whole concert without that late 80s slo mo effect would be a great document.

RangerXT, rontoon and andrewskyDE like this.
  4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Maybe a remixed Momentary Lapse of Reason? That could be interesting?

RangerXT, Carlox, JediJoker and 2 others like this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

There was some talk about re-doing instruments for the album (incl. new drums and keyboard licks by Rick Wright from live recordings), but I think Nick Mason said a while ago that they scrapped the idea.

rontoon likes this.
  6. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Nick did record acoustic drums on some of the songs, but they never used them...... Apparently

7. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

A member of Austrian fan page Pulse and Spirit was able to attend the event and asked Powell what Box that might be to be released in November this year. Powell answered it would be a Later Years Box including complete footage from 1988 Nassau concert. Moreover Powell told him that he is also working on the Animals Box which is about to be released in early 2020. It would have Battersea being reconstructed with cranes in the twighlight on the cover: Aubrey Powell bestätigt aufwendiges neues Box-Set von Pink Floyd | Pink Floyd News und Fanbasis

8. amonjamesduul

Maybe some songs which suffer the most from 80s sound were reconstructed and will be released instead of the whole album.I personally am not bothered by the sound of the album but would love to hear alt versions.

9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, that idea was scrapped a while back.

10. AMLOR is what it is -- and as I've said before, every time I hear AMLOT it's reliably and alternately either BETTER or WORSE than I remember from the last time I heard it. Damnedest thing, actually. If I had to rate the album on a 10 scale every six months, I'm sure my rating would go back and forth between maybe a 3 and a 6.

Side two is reliably better than side one, though, in terms of the production and all.

It might be really interesting to hear if they could de-80's-ize it, production-wise. Especially if they weren't too overly particular about not wanting to change too much. I don't want some conservative touch-up job -- I want them to really have free reign to change anything they think they can do better.

Never happen, I realize. But it's interesting to consider, even if only as a thought exercise.

Considering what I think are the smashingly good results with The Endless River (and its origins), I'd love for that same team to tear up and put back together (with new 'parts' wherever necessary), all of AMLOR. Some songs might need more work than others, but I can't help but think that the results would be beneficial overall.

Snowball's chance in hell of it ever happening though, I realize.

enro99 and amonjamesduul like this.
  11. amonjamesduul

I agree with your assessment of AMLOR but I usually just skip certain songs(Dogs of war) instead of turning it off when I am not feeling it.The album came out in my senior year of high school after me being a Floyd fanatic for years and was my first chance to see them live so it has a nostalgic place in my heart.Not sure what they have for the album in the vaults other than an expanded live document,maybe some surprises.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The idea returned on the table!?

13. Mostly agree about "Dogs Of War" -- but hells bells, I wonder if there was any way to spruce even it up a bit? I also mentioned the track by name in my post just now (that you quoted). It's the worst offender on the album, in many ways -- i.e. the one I don't go 'back and forth' about much.

WHICH is actually kinda funny, cuz I think if "Dogs of War" WASN'T a Pink Floyd song (or a 'Dave Pink Floyd' song) -- like if some other band had done it entirely back in the day -- I suspect it would be better remembered now. Well, maybe not 'remembered' -- but I doubt it would have as many detractors, and maybe a few more fans.

Also, and this is to be perfectly honest, but I don't think some of The Wall is really all that much better than "The Dogs of War" -- in terms of the kind of sound and ethos it conjures. "Young Lust" especially comes to mind (blech!). "Young Lust" seems as outside the Floyd realm of sound (or even farther!), as "Dogs of War". But the rest of AMLOR's troubles are all or mostly in the realm of production choices, IMHO.

14. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Price and content dependent, I'm at least cautiously optimistic for this. I love Momentary Lapse and Division Bell, so a release built around them is, at least in theory, very exciting to me.

Spare the ephemera and load me down with musical goodies (ideally at a more reasonable price than TEY) and I'll be there with bells on.

bobloblaw, RangerXT, enro99 and 4 others like this.
  15. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Too much to hope for the Momentary tour Venice concert on Blu? back in the day, knowing next to nothing about Floyd, I’d wandered in from the pub (I was 16, but hey...!), turned on the TV just in time for a concert to start. Looked like the sort of thing Jean Michel Jarre might stage. Then the music started. Bought ADSOT on cassette the next day, wore it out to the point of stretching and snapping then bought it again on cassette, And later on CD. That concert was my entry point for all things Floyd.

I’ll happily take any box set that includes the ‘official’ ADSOT concert film on disc with a 5.1 mix (heck, even a hi-res LPCM stereo track works for me), throw in PULSE and whatever else. But to have the Venice concert in better quality than I can watch on YouTube? Oh man!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  16. Not sure what there is interesting that hasn't been released post-Waters. I like The Endless River as chill music, but I assume they used the best bits of the Big S. material for that album. We got The Division Bell in 5.1 already -I guess that leaves Momentary (and the 2 live albums) in 5.1 as a probable inclusion. I guess it will also include La Carrera Panamericana material as well. I'm unlikely to bite for this set.

17. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Hopefully 'Peace Be With You', the unreleased and unheard farewell song to Waters, will be included...

Runicen, RangerXT, Kalli and 5 others like this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yeah, that would be great! A true rarity.

19. amonjamesduul

I don't hate the song but it is a weaker one off the album,I think what grinds on me about it is Dave's yelling voice style in the first part is associated to me with
    harder rock songs in the Floyd catalog .i don't mind the sax at all but maybe the back up girls could have been tamed a little.in the mix.

rontoon likes this.
  20. amonjamesduul

That would be cool to see as well as the hanger rehearsals.I guess a bit was filmed if they were planning the DSOT movie maybe bits of different shows will be represented insted of entire concerts.

coffeetime likes this.
  21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

F!CKING HELL. Later Years is really happening?!
    This is a dream come true, my friends! A dream come true!

22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Well, the question mark has been removed from the title of the thread and has been replaced with (Official!) so you tell me. :p

23. NunoBento

Ron, are we getting Later Years or Animals first?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Aubrey mentioned The Later Years in November and Animals in 2020 so they may want to push the big box first and release Animals afterwards. But that's just a guess, I do not know the answer.

drum_cas, RangerXT, Maurice and 2 others like this.
  25. NunoBento

Jesus Christ, I'm so excited about this I wanna write 20 posts just with ideas and dream contents.

Apache Chief and rontoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.