Joy Division Day By Day - Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Definitely krautrock-influenced and very much a mood piece, this kinda blends in with the surrounding songs the same way Secrets will do on The Cure’s Seventeen Seconds-album. That’s where I will try and stop mentioning that band, because I feel both bands unfairly get lumped together as ‘gothic, depressing music’ every time a fitting topic comes up. It really is driven by Morris’ drums.
    Title seems a sly nod to Bowie’s own song called Candidate.
    Absolutely love it!!!
    More on that in about a week. ;)

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  2. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

No surprise Atmosphere is ahead, but Twenty Four Hours a close second........... Great song.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  3. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Great to see The Sound Of Music getting a vote! :thumbsup:

4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The essence of a great producer.

Devin likes this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

If only that idea had been adopted for the movie Backbeat (at least with a band playing a live soundtrack if the actors weren't up to it).

6. bettsaj

Apparently the guitarist and the drummer weren't musicians but spent nearly a year just practising and learning the material at Anton Corbijn's request as he didn't want any miming. You can tell from watching the film the guitarist is not a confident player... They all did really well

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  7. bettsaj

Yes.... Julie Andrews should be proud

8. Devin

Devin Time's Up

JD version of "In A Lonely Place" not on either poll? Am I mistaken? I don't recall it ever going by another name but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  9. bettsaj

You are correct...... But there's no room... i could have another poll, but there'd only be one song on it lol

Devin likes this.
  10. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

No way! Should have In A Lonely Place on this on poll instead of As You Said.

Devin likes this.
  11. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Did you even notice that it wasn't on the poll Pop_Zeus?

12. bettsaj

I my defence, In A Lonely Place is just a rehearsal recording and not a proper release. Which is likely why I overlooked it.

Devin likes this.
  13. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Seems the original (Ian's) working title for In A Lonely Place was "Little Boy." I never knew that. Also seems the remaining band members gave it the new title, probably for the obvious reasons.

A most haunting song especially being the very last one Ian wrote. Consider this final lyric:

"Hangman looks round as he waits
    Cord stretches tight then it breaks
    Someday we will die in your dreams
    How I wish we were here with you now."

Wow. Chilling to say the very least.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  14. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Not really. Perhaps because the poll changes over at ‘I’, maybe I thought it might be on this one. Never mind.

Suppose so. It is also way better than garbage songs like Gutz though! Perhaps we’ll discuss IALP later on. As it’s the last song they recorded it surely holds some interest.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Devin likes this.
  15. bettsaj

Definitely..... My apologies peeps :hide:

Devin and Pop_Zeus like this.
  16. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Just noticed @Devin S replied at same time as I did. It’s a fascinating track and I’m sure Ian sung that vocal about 4 days before his death.

I only realised quite recently that full length versions exist. I always thought that the short ‘detail’ demo on H&S was all that there was. Apparently it was cut short for ‘reasons of taste’ because of the second verse. Not sure I get the censorship though. It’s not like anything is gonna change what Ian did that night. The full version came out on a Record Store Day release in 2011 but it never came out on CD or iTunes, etc for those of us who don’t do vinyl. I do wonder if the H&S box is ever repressed again, if one of the full length versions would replace the edit.

Devin likes this.
  17. bettsaj

Day 16

Insight

Insight, which includes the aforementioned lift noises. This is one of those songs that when I first heard Unknown Pleasures it took a while to grow on me. It wasn't an instant like for me, personally. However after listening to the many bootlegs of JD live over the years insight normally apears and over that time i gained a better appreciation of the song. I think it was the 70's disco syndrum I didn't like initially..... I kept hearing Anita Wards Ring My Bell. I now love the song, the lyrics are great and the syndrum actually fits the song.

onlyacanvasky and Pop_Zeus like this.
  18. bettsaj

I've just re-listened to this song, and I love the guitar that starts at around 3:30 into the song... the decending chord progression against the bass guitar is really well thought out and leads the song to the end really well.

I had to post the live version off Les Bains Douches............. Fantastic live

19. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Insight - Just an 'ok' song for me personally. Middle tier JD all the way and nothing to get excited about really. Fortunately preceded and succeeded by a few great songs either side. Never like the electronic blips and bleeps on this, particularly the frankly ridiculous and laughable, what my kids call 'hamster noises' rave-up sounds on the Les Bains Douches live version, they go right through me. Cringeworthy. The remaining JD members should have sued Josh Wink for for ripping off those noises and going extremely berserk with them on 'Higher State of Consciousness' !

This poll looks like it will be very close indeed. Interesting to note that all the duds are on part one of the topic. 7 songs each without a single vote. On this side of the poll, every song has at least one fan. Also just noticed that 'You're No Good For Me' doesn't feature on the poll. I won't lose any sleep over it though as I can't imagine anyone voting for it :biglaugh:

Oh and I can't stop playing the Factory live 'Candidate' from yesterday

20. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

I really enjoyed the bass riff on this one.

21. bettsaj

Hamster noises..... I'm with them on that. I do like this live version, but when they recorded the studio version I think Hannett might have had too much smack that day when he suggested to them "Lets put some syndrum on this song.... it'll be greeeeeet". The song would have been much better without it

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

First of all, Hook should receive a medal for the ominous bassline. Then the lift noises...
    Not a lift I would like to be in.
    The doors open to reveal JD performing in an empty parking garage. At least, that’s how I picture this song in my mind. To the left there’s an abandoned Space Invaders Arcade-machine someone must have plugged in, being put to use as some kind of chorus.
    It’s hard to figure out what the lyrics are about. Almost as if Ian’s singing about two parts of himself, the innocence that used to be and the lived-through empty shell he has become. Very captivating stuff!

Pop_Zeus, bettsaj and Devin like this.
  23. bettsaj

Day 17

New Dawn Fades

"New Dawn Fades" is a song from the 1979 debut album by Joy Division. The song opens with a backwards and heavily modified sample from previous song, "Insight", presumably added by Martin Hannett, post-production. The song relies on an ascending guitar riff by Bernard Sumner played against a descending bass riff by Peter Hook. The song uses the same progression throughout, but grows in intensity as the song progresses, reaching its peak with Ian Curtis singing "Me, seeing me this time, hoping for something else", and ending with a guitar solo. The song closes side one of Unknown Pleasures. It's also one of few Joy Division songs with two distinct guitars playing, one distorted and one a clean electric guitar picking notes from the guitar chords. (Wikipedia)

A classic. This song is one of the best JD songs from the first album, and was a live staple throughout their short career. I really love this song, it builds in intensity and now shows the direction where joy Division are going...... As far away from Warsaw as possible. There is a sensibility to me in this song that is lacking with a lot of their early material, a maturity that shows Ians writing was progressing in leaps and bounds. The bass and guitar are playing against each other, a classic ascending descending progression that has been used in many other songs but to my mind not as brilliantly executed as in New dawn Fades.
    Ian's vocals are brilliant, the lyrics mature and they fit the music perfectly........ joy Division had now become really good writers.

Creole Gris-Gris, Devin and Pop_Zeus like this.
  24. bettsaj

New dawn Fades, Live at the Paradiso Amsterdam........ Just brilliant. I've been listening to this whole album in my car for the last week......

Devin and Pop_Zeus like this.
  25. bettsaj

And the only piece of live footage known to be in existence of joy Division performing it live at Eindhoven.. This footage is available on the long OOP Here Are The Young Men VHS.

No flashing lights, quite dark... This was the normal thing for Joy Division concerts due to Ians epilepsy, normally just 2 or 3 static lights

Cereal Killer, Devin and Pop_Zeus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.