SH Spotlight Play the Kinks "Waterloo Sunset" in stereo, check and fix or improve your stereo playback with it!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Floating! Played it tonight on my Audio Note system. Heaven.

Sean and Echoes Myron like this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have just got to try this when i get home!
    Many, many thanks!

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Shame I can’t do this with my headphones. My speakers are garbage.

4. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

There's an effect similar to this in the chorus of Jon Bellion's "Pre-Occupied:"

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Headphones can do the effect and get the background vocals to float out there. My headphones do it. The problem is that adjusting toe in and position of the headphones to maximize the effect gets to be rather difficult and not very practical unless you're the manufacturer designing the headphones and the ear pads.

6. Thank you for the tip! This should be fun. Gunna have to find that Kinks album and Deep Forest.

7. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Sadly my 1999 Castle CD, a 20 track Best Of The Kinks has only two tracks in stereo, Victoria & Apeman. Is there a Stereo (or mostly stereo) comp out there?

Dee Zee likes this.
  8. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

The 2014 Essential Kinks has the stereo version.

Mazzy and Shaker Steve like this.
  9. Arliss Renwick

Arliss Renwick Forum Resident

If you've got a turntable, the 1972 vinyl comp "The Kink Kronikles" (not hard to find) has it. I just set up my speakers using Steve's technique and WOW! This forum is seriously the best

Sean and Shaker Steve like this.
  10. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The CD as well.

Arliss Renwick likes this.
  11. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Is this Reprise CD the stereo mix?

The Kinks - Something Else By The Kinks

I checked my entire collection and I don't have a single item (CD, vinyl, compilation, anything) that includes the stereo version of "Waterloo Sunset." I have at least a handful of the mono version, though ...

So I want to make sure I'm ordering a CD that features the stereo mix.

12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The Something Else stereo vinyl reissue does this. Just played on my new RP10 :)

13. Just worked it with Essential Kinks CDs.

Now I can sleep.

Wow Victoria on this comp on my Oppo sounds Amazing.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

What brought this thread back? Great song, great way to fix your stereo up. Make sure your speakers are wired correctly in phase before you play or you'll get nothing..

Sean and Mazzy like this.
  15. We all long for the simple life we lived back in ‘13. :tiphat:

Sneaky Pete and Arliss Renwick like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

The good old days.

Sean, Arliss Renwick and Mazzy like this.
  17. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. I've just ordered the 2-CD Essential Kinks, in the hope that "Waterloo Sunset" on that collection will be a well-mastered stereo version.

Mazzy likes this.
  18. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yes.

19. Sounds great to me. Celluloid Heroes also sounds awesone

20. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Thanks for your reply. I have three turntables, one that I can link up to my computer & two others. Rather than buy a CD with the stereo version on I checked the I Tunes store & they had it there. Also a stereo version of David Watts so I bought them both.

21. MikeM.

MikeM. Forum Resident

This thread was so helpful for me. Thanks for all the posts. Found that ELP's Tarkus (the song) has a similar surround effect around 9:30 mark with keyboards attacking me from all sides, even behind me. From the iTunes download not sure about any other versions. Almost frightening!

Ham Sandwich and hi_watt like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I listened to my 50th Stereo vinyl copy again today, and the background vocals do float around the speakers but not too far out to the sides or around the listening position. I will have to get a copy of Kinks Kronicles and see how that goes.

23. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

If you have a Samsung 9, listen with headphones to BTO's Let It Ride or A-ha's Take On Me in Dolby Atmos Movie setting. You'll think some parts of the songs are floating around your chest.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  24. Steve Hoffman

I've been asked again what VERSION of "Waterloo Sunset" sounds the best in the stereo mix.

That's easy: It is "SOMETHING ELSE By The Kinks, ORIGINAL PRT Records CD issue which is PRT 8.26674, Made In Western Germany (sticker).

Should say "Made in W. Germany" and TELDEC P 1967 & P1997 on label. With a "Digitally mastered AAD" on the left

For all I know most of the songs on this have the same (intentional or unintentional) effect. Try DEATH OF A CLOWN, etc. to find out.

This is the BEST SOUNDING VERSION of this album out there. Don't trust the remasterings that bump up the treble to ear-bleed level.

This is the "flat transfer" CD that is the best.

Find a copy, probably out there for nothing..

The best mono version is still the UGLY PINK.

hi_watt, dougb222, Robert C and 5 others like this.
  25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Bought this CD some time ago Steve thanks to your recommendation. Now when a composer comes into our space to listen to the PA, I play this track for them :)