X (the Los Angeles band) to reissue its first 4 albums starting 2/22/2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RubenH, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

bob biggs, jay jenkins(?) ray m, d sugerman, and x. 1979. the hong kong cafe HA!

2. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

So I decided to get the Porterhouse "Wild Gift". Listening to it now and it sounds great. Anybody else want to chip in on the Fat Possum?

3. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

PopMarket has a bundle deal on the new Fat Possum versions today...

x vinyl bundle on PopMarket

"All four albums have been re-mastered by Jason Ward at Chicago Mastering."

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I would love to see a decent vinyl reissue of See How We Are. I found a stone mint US original last year, but then found out it looked unplayed because side 1 was off center. I was pretty bummed out, as it was the last one of the studio albums I need.

If I'm going to listen to anything I'd call "Americana," it's gonna be X, Social Distortion, or acoustic country blues.

Jim Walker, Lonecat and punkmusick like this.
  5. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Well, thanks to this thread I just ordered Los Angeles and Wild Gift Porterhouse pressings from Discogs. I've always wanted to get these on vinyl (had both on cassette back in the day), but have been concerned about reissue quality.

punkmusick likes this.
  6. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

That can be easily fixed, most of the time! How badly off centre is your copy? I have found, in many cases, that a portion of the centre paper label extends over the spindle hole and causes eccentric rotation. Of course, the spindle hole may be slightly off too, but it is surprisingly easy to fix and does not involve trashing the spindle hole, if you are careful. Most of my 'fixes' are invisible. In fact, as I read this thread I recall buying the Porterhouse reissue of 'Wild Gift' way back in 2010. I emailed the label pre-purchase because those pressings were done at Rainbo in L.A., not a good thing to learn. The gentleman with whom I corresponded at the time reassured me that Porterhouse's people supervised the pressing operation and guaranteed that the records would be top notch, effectively. I went ahead and bought 'Wild Gift' and yes it was glossy and beautiful and played without even a tick or pop. It was, however, quite noticeably off centre on Side One. In fact, it was the paper label around the spindle that was causing the problem. It extended beyond the spindle hole and caused the disc to spin eccentrically. I soon fixed that. I took out the album lately and I was really impressed with my 'handy work' as the corrective action was invisible. So hang on to your 'See How We Are' U.S. press as it could be something as simple as that and maybe the spindle hole needs to be 'shaved' back, a little bit. I use a round file and it works wonders. It is rare that a spindle hole is wildly off centre, in my experience. My copy of 'See How We Are' is the original German Elektra pressing from 1987. What impressed me too is how Rainbo is capable of pressing quality vinyl when somebody from the label is supervising the operation! Otherwise, well we all know what happens.

I have a printed set of guidelines (a leaflet) on correcting off centre spindle holes, if you care to look into this further? PM me and I will send a copy to you, if you wish.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Interested in this too, I have a Slash Los Angeles, a Porterhouse Wild Gift, an Elektra Under The Big Black Sun from Portugal and a Brazilian More Fun (besides Elektra pressings of Ain't Love Grand and See How We Are and a Brazilian pressing of Live at the Whiskey).

Unfortunately the Slash Los Angeles is severely warped and I'm in the market for a new copy.

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I appreciate it, but I took it back to the shop where I purchased it. It was very off center.

However, I'm still interested in your leaflet anyway, as I have another LP I'd like to get centered!

9. Love all of their first four albums (and plenty more) but, as it was then, to this very day- "More Fun In The New World" remains my absolute favorite of theirs.

tables_turning and Geee! like this.
  10. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

would be interested in it as well. Thanks

11. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

My god, the Porterhouse Los Angeles sounds incredible! These kind of threads are the reason SHF rules so much. Thank you all for the heads up.

12. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

2nd

13. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Says Discogs it says the lacquer was cut at Chicago Master service. They are highly respected. That is the company Albibi uses. This might point to the fact it could be AAA. a commenter said it blew the original out of the water. Is the Porterhouse Reissue from 2010 AAA for certain.

14. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Under the Big Black Sun was the first X I heard when it came out, and it’s still my favorite among their fantastic first four. The Porterhouse reissues are great, not sure if they’re AAA or not.

15. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident Thread Starter

Allright, so who wants to be the guinea pig on the new reissue? :angel:

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well my fellow Atlanta member, I just ordered "Under The Big Black Sun" from my local shop and will be picking it up this Thursday...Looking forward to it and was priced at $18, so not too bad...

Will be happy to share my thoughts on the sound after I listen...

Geee!, porotikos and Hymie the Robot like this.
  17. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you sir !

18. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Do yo have any other pressings to compare it to? Thanks!

19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Not of this title on vinyl. But I have the first and second originals and More Fun In The New World, so since that one is on Elektra and so was Under The Big Black Sun, I can at least get some what of an idea how this new version compares to the original Elektra ones, not quite the same, but better than nothing.

20. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

Can anyone comment on the audio quality of the Fat Possum CD reissues of the first four X albums? Thanks.

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Listened to the Fat Possum version of "Under The Big Black Sun" last evening. Honestly I never thought their albums were any kind of sonic wonder. So getting this version was a total crap shot. Had to clean it and get rid of the crappy inner sleeve before it scuffs the record up, easy fix. The vinyl looks great and nice and flat. Very quiet throughout except in between songs, surface noise occurs, no biggie.

As for as the over all sound, it does edge out the original Elektra ones, but not drastically, but still an improvement. It helps if you can add some more bottom end to your system. I had to turn up the subs a bit, but it helped. This is hands down my favorite album by them, so I am glad I got it! I would recommend, but err on the side of caution and make sure you know you are not getting some kind of audiophile wonder here.

By the way, I was listening to the vinyl of More Fun In The New World yesterday and forgot how cool the song "True Love Pt. #2" is. Kinda got a B52's/Talking Heads vibe going on, cool song indeed!

Also, Bob Weston with Chicago Mastering Service was kind enough to respond to my question, is this AAA or with a digital step. He said he could not because of the agreement with the Fat Possum, but he was nice as could be about it. I am sure there is a digital step used though...

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    stefane likes this.
  22. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I have one Fat Possum LP, Al Green's Greatest Hits. It's great, but in a "remaster-y" kind of way. I'd be wildly speculating if I predicted that their X reissues are that way too, but I will say that the Porterhouse versions are for me, along with originals, the last word on X in vinyl.

scotti likes this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I do need to really listen again as I had just finished up with the new Jimmie Vaughan album which is AAA and sounds incredible. Might not have been the best time to judge...I will comment again after another spin...

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So I went back and listened to my FP version of Under The Big Black Sun again. I have to revise my comments as I was a bit wrong with my first observations.

Jacket - standard quality, but the replica original inner sleeve is done very nicely.

Sound, much better than what I first thought. Nice clarity with good bottom end and bass. Recommended with no reservations...and "The Have Nots" sounds really good here!

oldjollymon likes this.
  25. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Yep, there's your answer right there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.