SH Spotlight Play the Kinks "Waterloo Sunset" in stereo, check and fix or improve your stereo playback with it!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 15, 2013.

1. wes

wes Senior Member

Oh god, the top end is so aweful sounding on that album..
    I don’t understand why it would want to be emphasized..
    I’ve got the ugly pink mono LP and a cheap reprise cd version..
    I’ll have to search for the west German disc..

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Ugly?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Ugly pink cover. Most accurate sound (to the original tapes).

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I can hear it just fine, but it's much more pronounced on my right (sounds just like the backing vocals are floating up and somewhat over my shoulder) than to my left. :shrug:

5. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Not sure if any one has mentioned this...

But try to make sure the gap behind the speakers to the rear walls and next to the side walls is NOT the same....
    This may cause unintentional nulls at certain frequencies

6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Requires loudspeakers or will this work with headphones?

7. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Traded that in years ago for the first remaster...bad mistake.
    I still have the UK vinyl from the 80s, which predates the CD, so I'm assuming that may be the best version on vinyl?

8. Changingman

Changingman Forum Resident

While checking this I've just discovered I've got two different stereo mixes of this track.
    The one from Something Else (Castle Communications CD from the early 90's) has Ray Davies's vocals from the first verse on the left channel, while the mix from The Complete Collection CD (also on Castle, same period) has them on the right channel.
    I'm not an expert but I don't think it's just a matter of having reversed the channels. I'd say the SE mix has more depth, whereas the backing vocals from TCC are slightly more out of phase. I prefer the SE mix.

9. aroney

Not the same? I would think that you would want to mirror both speakers in positioning, back and side, to be as close as possible.

I figured the differences in my set-up may be why I'm hearing the effect more pronounced on my right side as opposed to the left.

10. Steve Hoffman

There is just one stereo mix. Voice on the right. The channels can be reversed if someone likes it better that way, no harm done.

11. Steve Hoffman

Reverse channels. More pronounced on left now or still right?

eyeCalypso likes this.
  12. Changingman

Mmmm... interesting. In that case the Complete Collection CD version is more faithful to the original mix and they must have reversed the channels for the Something Else CD. (?) My Castle CD reference is CLACD159 and it was made in France.
    Still there's some depth in the SE version that is somehow lost in the TCC version. I will compare both versions with a sound wave analyzer software and see the results. :righton:

13. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Much to my annoyance, a LOT of the Moody Blues LEAD vocals are out of phase.

hi_watt and Vic_1957 like this.
  14. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

I may have been unclear in my explanation

Just an example of set up

Left speaker 12 inches from rear wall 20inches from side wall
    Right speaker 12 inches from rear wall 20inches from side wall

Does this explain what I mean?

My apologies for being unclear originally

aroney likes this.
  15. SkeletonPete

SkeletonPete Forum Resident

Great fun listening to the sublime "Waterloo Sunset" in the service of speaker tweaking. I haven't spun my vinyl copy of Kinks Kronikles in ages.

I read through the entire thread and haven't seen a mention of Poco's song "Crazy Eyes." On this track the phase mismatch appears to be used specifically as an effect. Listen through the 9" + tune and you will hear the banjo parts suddenly jump out of the soundstage. IIRC, the original LP jacket included a disclaimer about instruments disappearing if you were listening in monaural.

The song itself - from the 1973 album of the same name - is an homage to Gram Parsons written by Richie Furay and arranged for orchestra by Bob Ezrin. It's definitely worth a listen beyond the effectiveness of the effect.

kBear likes this.
  16. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

With the exception of Village Green Preservation Society, all of the Kinks' original Castle CDs have the channels reversed.

17. aroney

Still more pronounced on the right.

18. Steve Hoffman

That's your setup then. Try moving speakers around slightly... Side walls hurt the effect..

eyeCalypso likes this.
  19. aroney

Yup, that's what I figured - my left speaker is near stairs and closer to a side wall than the right side.

20. Steve Hoffman

I have the same problem in one of my rooms. Can't really do anything about it.. Not the end of the world..

BrentB and aroney like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

If you don't have WATERLOO SUNSET in stereo you can still get your speakers in the correct position by just finding something with a mono center (a mono recording or if you don't have one, the "phantom center" vocal of any stereo rock, pop or jazz record).

Now, switch ONE PAIR of speaker leads behind your speaker, either right or left. Switch the leads. This will throw your speakers out of phase with each other. Sit in your fun spot and the vocal sound that usually comes out of the middle should be diffused all around you. Move your speakers a small amount until this effect is optimized. Now, switch the leads back again (don't forget that!)

You are in business, your stereo image should now sound wonderful. More fun with WATERLOO SUNSET though..

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
    supermd, hi_watt, eyeCalypso and 4 others like this.
  22. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

I did this today, with Waterloo Sunset in stereo. The effect was an instant upgrade to my listening space.

Thanks Steve.

23. moops

moops Senior Member

And while your at it, just keep playing more Kinks !

All Down The Line likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Simple but it works..

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  25. Changingman

Oh, I didn't know. Thanks for the info. Looks like they got the channels right for The Complete Collection CD.

Adam9 likes this.