Elton John biopic "Rocketman"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Manley, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

Here's the actor who plays Elton, Taron Egerton, singing Tiny Dancer live, accompanied by Elton last night. The actor went to RADA so he's had a lot of acting training and some musical theatre but he's never pursued singing in any real way - so overall whilst I respect some people don't like his vocals I think he makes a reasonable fist of it. He's Welsh and they can all sing to some extent. Seriously if your Welsh and you can't sing at all - they make you move.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Normally, an "R" rating would do financial harm at the box office.

In this case, how many people would be coming to see a biopic of a 71-years old rock singer (soon to be 72 in two days) that would need to be accompanied by an adult eighteen or older?

I would guess that most of the ones that would be attending, would be dragged there by an adult.

Rating should not make that much effect with this movie at the box office.

Deuce66 likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Don't think he would've been a great vocal double - he kinda sounds like Elton but not a terrific match.

I think it's better that Egerton did his own vocals. He may not be an Elton clone but I think it adds a sense of reality...

5. manco

manco Forum Resident

I felt burned on Bohemian Rhapsody, so I personally will wait until this is a rental. Also I already watched the BBC Elton John documentary, so I can't imagine this movie will bring much to the table. He just isn't as fascinating as Freddie Mercury. Takes nothing away from his talent, but remember Bernie Taupin is 1/2 of 'Elton John'.

2141 and DK Pete like this.
  6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'll wait for the dude to make a visit to my house. I just saw the Avengers just to avoid spoilers. Probably not to many spoilers for this movie.

bloodlemons likes this.
  7. MHS3

MHS3 "Long Live Rock'n'Roll"

Naw do one on AC/DC, Van Halen or KISS

8. Cipresso

Cipresso Forum Resident

Sure I will go (early screening May 20th, then 9 days later off to the Arena di Verona for the ‘Farewell’ tour gig).
    It’s not really a biopic (a la Bohemian Rhapsody) but a ‘musical fantasy’, the directory and cast are solid. It could be great, it could be bad, but I’m going expecting a good MOVIE, not a docufiction.
    Since I seem to remember that Elton (via David Furnish and his production company) put real money in making this, if it turns out a Shangai Surprise, no Anthology is gonna recoup the losses, so expect further Farewell GYBR tours for the next 10 years;)

ConnieGuitar and Jarleboy like this.
  9. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

You bet! Previews looking promising

Charles Adams, AnalogJ and Bill like this.
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I only watch Rock bios for the curiosity factor; I never expect much from them even if public consensus is "great". There always seems to be "something" I'm looking for that isn't there...and the more I'm into the artist (I'm a very big fan of 70's Elton John)the less I'm satisfied.

11. manco

manco Forum Resident

TBH I don't even get why Bohemian Rhapsody was made. Queen were just not that controversial in the big scheme of things. Why would anyone want to watch a fictionalized biopic of a rock band? Seems redundant when we have biographies, documentaries and the music.

Rasputin, johnnyb1964 and Colinjpush like this.
  12. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

The first song from the soundtrack dropped a couple of days ago on Spotify. This is Taron Egerton singing Rocketman. I'm not sure how I feel about it - on the one hand no one can sing Elton like Elton and I've been hearing this song with his voice for so long, it's hard to listen to any cover with a really open mind and without a sense of feeling it's not right by comparison. On the other hand we already have all of Elton's originals and I guess in any musical there is an argument that the actors and performers should be singing not just lip-syncing so...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I like it! Maybe we'll get a more impressionist rendition in the film, but for a promo, it sells that the guy can sing.

14. peteham

peteham Senior Member

They changed the lyric, changing ‘wife’ to ‘life’.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sounds like Elton on backing vocals in the chorus.

Think the actor would be better playing Phil Collins in a bio pic.

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yeah, I have a hard time with it. It does seem wrong.

17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Well, I thought he sounded perfectly fine. He doesn't sound exactly 100% like Elton John, but it's a very credible take on his voice.

18. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Just an observation, but is "Rocketman" really the best/most appropriate title for an Elton John biopic, if one was to choose from his roster of album or song titles?

I mean, it just seems kind of telegraphed, since it's one of his best-known songs and also conveys a sense of action and kinesis to make it desirable as a film title. But is it the best or most appropriate? In the context of rock and roll, that title implies a surging popularity that occurred over a short period of time, but which didn't last all that long.

Like most very popular artists, Elton John did have a big album that took him to the next level, but in reality that popularity grew year over year from around 1970. Frankly, his popularity was similar to many other artists of his time, which was to make it big in the early '70s, peak in the mid-'70s and have a slow decline until the end of the '70s - only to have a comeback of sorts in the early '80s. Unlike all but a few of the others, though, he then had another moment in the '90s that made him really popular yet again, leading to his ultimate ossification into the icon that he is now, instead of fading away or outright disappearing.

So, anyone like any of the other titles? I think "Still Standing" or "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" are better biopic titles for him, personally - if it was to cover his whole career.

For just the early days, I like 'Take Me to the Pilot" or "Honky Cat" over "Rocketman."

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    utopiarun likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

Rocketman works for me.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

I don't think anyone is here saying that such a thing exists. But the BoRhap script really crossed the Rubicon in terms of corrupting the actual, to its detriment, to the point of whiplash. There was nothing boring about the band's actual lives and careers - rarely is there when it comes to musicians - and the genuinely severe tinkering about with truth all the way through the film was both unnecessary and totally misleading. It is very nearly a 100% fiction, which is excessive by any biopic standard and unacceptable to many, many people. Everyone understands that a biopic will not/cannot be 100% exact. But this went far beyond the pale. The one positive is the resurgence of the music and Mercury; for that alone, bravo.

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sorry but I'm really tired of hearing complaints about Bohemian Rhapsody.

grouploner and 905 like this.
  22. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

Now he's settled and happy and boring, which for him is a good thing. His first decades? Definitely not boring.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

A lot of Rock musicians don't live long enough to be boring.

Say what you will, he is not only still kicking but has a tour this year.

longdist01, Chris DeVoe and gotblues like this.
  24. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I think it should be called "Captain Fantastic". There was talk about an animated film based on the album being worked on after the album was released, so why not use it now?

yesstiles, 905 and utopiarun like this.
  25. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

Oh for sure. Elton's a walking miracle, really. His music is a deep part of my own teenage '70s memories bank and I'm very glad he's still out there and doing well all around. :righton:

longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.