Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 10, 2013.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

roda12 likes this.
  2. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Anybody need a copy of The Hit Maker?

https://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=549301

These do not turn up often. I am NOT affiliated with this seller but I’ve bought several records from them and their descriptions are spot-on. Hope posting this doesn’t violate any forum rules.

3. MLutthans

The Hit Maker is a great set overall, with excellent sound on most of the tracks, and it remains the only LP to ever contain the original, dry mix of "Same Old Saturday Night," which remains available only here and on the original 45 -- and the 45 is compressed. No CD has ever contained the original, dry mix.

DmitriKaramazov, MMM and James_S888 like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'm glad I have it. From the days when I bought everything FS

MLutthans likes this.
  5. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

it's a really great set

MLutthans likes this.
  6. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

It's my favorite Frank recording of that song. Not because it is from Capitol, but because it is still in shape, although not as much as it was in 1956. The tone of the song is ideal and Nelson Riddle's arrangement is great, tailored. That is enough for me to prefer it. I know that many like and prefer the 1969 version with Don Costa and, although it has a well-crafted introduction, I still prefer the 1958 recording.

Conductor: Nelson Riddle

Frank Sinatra (vocalist), Shorty Sherock (trumpet), Conrad Gozzo (trumpet), Cappy Lewis (trumpet), Dale McNickle (trumpet), Tommy Pederson (trombone), Dick Noel (trombone), Juan Tizol (valve trombone), George Roberts (bass trombone), John Cave (frenchhorn), Vincent DeRosa (frenchhorn), Ted Nash (saxophone/woodwinds), Harry Klee (saxophone/woodwinds), Champ Webb (saxophone/woodwinds), Gene Cipriano (saxophone/woodwinds), Joe Koch (saxophone/woodwinds), Victor Bay (violin), Alex Beller (violin), Felix Slatkin (violin), Paul Shure (violin), Murray Kellner (violin), Nathan Ross (violin), David Frisina (violin), Ben Gill (violin), Marshall Sosson (violin), James Getzoff (violin), Alvin Dinkin (viola), Paul Robyn (viola), Joseph DiFiore (viola), Eleanor Slatkin (violoncello), Kurt Reher (violoncello), Elizabeth Greenschpoon (violoncello), Kathryn Julye (harp), Bill Miller (piano), Laurindo Almeida (guitar), Al Viola (guitar), Tony Rizzi (guitar), Joe Comfort (string bass), Bill Richmond (drums)

Recorded at the session of December 29, 1958.

P.S.:The list of musicians present refers to the recording session, some of which may be absent in some tracks of the same.​

7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

That's right. That's it. Very nice.

Artur Torres likes this.
  8. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Yes, agree, the Capitol version is so much more beautiful than the later version. Loved the movie too!

hodgo and Artur Torres like this.
  9. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I like both versions very much. The vocal is simply beautiful on the '58 version. But there's a knowing, world weary quality to the '69 version.

DmitriKaramazov, roda12 and paulmock like this.
  10. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

No doubt. The '69 version is great too!

Artur Torres likes this.
  11. Artur Torres

One of my favorite singles. The lyrics are very creative, I am sorry that it seems to me to be an underrated song.

Written By
    Doc Stanford, Jimmy Van Heusen

Arranger
    Nelson Riddle

Billboard
    Highest Chart: 67
    Weeks on Billboard: 5

Technical
    Catalog Number: 3350
    Master Number: 14430
    Format: 78-10"

Conductor: Nelson Riddle

Frank Sinatra (vocalist)

Mannie Klein (trumpet), Frank Beach (trumpet), Pete Candoli (trumpet), Mickey Mangano (trumpet), Dick Noel (trombone), Joe Howard (trombone), Jimmy Priddy (trombone), George Roberts (bass trombone), Harry Klee (alto saxophone), Mahlon Clark (alto saxophone), Champ Webb (tenor saxophone), Ted Nash (tenor saxophone), Chuck Gentry (baritone saxophone), Felix Slatkin (violin), Paul Shure (violin), Victor Bay (violin), Alex Beller (violin), Nathan Ross (violin), Anatol Kaminsky (violin), Marshall Sosson (violin), Mischa Russell (violin), Alvin Dinkin (viola), Stanley Spiegelman (viola), Virginia Majewski (viola), Eleanor Slatkin (violoncello), Ray Kramer (violoncello), Armand Kaproff (violoncello), Kathryn Julye (harp), Bill Miller (piano), Nick Bonney (guitar), Joe Comfort (string bass), Max Albright (drums)

Recorded at KHJ Studios in September 13, 1955.​

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    hodgo, Dugan and roda12 like this.
  12. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Part One...

I've just recived an Italian copy of Frank Sinatra - The Rarities Vol.1 from a Discogs seller in Italy. Described as VG+, it only looks like a G/G+ to me. On arrival it was absolutely filthy with multiple scratches and surface marks, but after a thorough cleaning on the RCM and having just got through side one, it sounds really nice, certainly much better than it looks and it's actually very quiet indeed. Here's hoping side two plays just as well.

Simon A and paulmock like this.
  13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Part Two...

Well, I'm happy to report that side two of the LP, which looks pretty poor, plays perfectly all the way through. It just shows you can't always tell from how an LP looks as to how it will play. I've had records that look great which sound terrible, I also have others like this one that look like crap and yet have barely a crackle or pop on them.

14. ecoutez

ecoutez Forum Resident

Currently updating my Sinatra collection and researching masters/alternate takes etc. I've seen reference to the WOW database on CD-Rom which is now out of print. Do any ever come up for sale anywhere please?

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I’ve not noticed any (and my copy is not for sale), but this was the website way back when:

Where Or When: The Definitive Sinatra Database

Note that it was strictly a Windows product.

shicorp likes this.
  16. Artur Torres

I refuse to believe that the piano in this recording is badly recorded to the point of seeming level and distant. Even more so in a monaural Capitol recording.

17. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I think the best ressource for these questions is the discography section at the Sinatra family website. The number of available alternate takes from the Capitol and Reprise sessions is rather limited. There are a few alternates for the RCA sides (it gets more complicated with the transcriptions there, though), but the real challenge are the Columbia years.

18. MLutthans

That was from the brief "bathe it in soupy reverb" timeframe at Capitol, and it was recorded that way direct-to-mono ONLY. No stereo recording at that session.

Artur Torres likes this.
  19. Artur Torres

But is there the possibility of having a "dry" version?

20. MLutthans

The reverb was added LIVE during the session. It's baked into the cake.

This is, for my own personal likes and dislikes, maybe the second most-poorly recorded mono-only Sinatra session at Capitol. I do not care for the (intentionally) soupy, mushy sound, regardless of the award given to ALL THE WAY from this session.

21. Artur Torres

What the hell. Excessive reverb and compression on classic Pop recordings is all that's not needed.

22. MLutthans

Some masterings may be compressed, but I don't think that the actual recording is. I can look through my notes when I get home, but I'm pretty sure there are some releases of all of these songs with wide-open dynamics.

Artur Torres likes this.
  23. MLutthans

Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

24. Artur Torres

[​IMG]

I already had some good recommendations about this Box. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons?​

25. MLutthans

Overall, the quality is excellent. The set was half-speed mastered in Nashville with tape transfers done by Jay Ranellucci at Capitol, and the mastering is pretty hands-off, in a good way. I recall that there is a defect on "One for My Baby." See: Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - 1958 Notes on Source Quality

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    madison and Artur Torres like this.